Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
But is not the story in Like a Dradone is happening after the events of the first six games?

Yes, but it's an entirely new storyline that is not part of the Kiryu saga.

Maxie

Christ does it get tedious to fight Majima over and over again in YK1, he's fucking everywhere and takes ages to fall (even moreso since he started appearing in the mad dog style and i don't have the technique required to block his hp regen)
Y0 spoiled me I think, YK1 just isn't that fun to play, Mesuking and Little Circuit are probably the only things keeping me relatively invested
I was tempted to just unlock Tiger Drop and steamroll the endgame but it takes thousands of arena points which I'm so unwilling to farm lol

Ivan

Arcane
32B576C0505E8E2D84379C5F0964B1CD14D7D555

Alphons

Cipher
Finished entire Kiwami 2 (completion list+Legend).

Now that I'm finished with 0 and Kiwamis should I go for 7 or wait for 3-6?

Fishy

Savant
Finished entire Kiwami 2 (completion list+Legend).

Now that I'm finished with 0 and Kiwamis should I go for 7 or wait for 3-6?

Before 3-6 were announced, I'd have told you to go for 7, but right now it's just 10 days until 3-5 release, then a month afterwards we are getting 6. Worth waiting and playing in order at this point. Just pick up 7 if you see it on sale at a ridiculous price.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I forgot SEGA/Microsoft forget that SEA exist. Oh well

Interestingly they indefinitely delayed Xbox version of this game in Japan. And there are some evidences of Asian localizations on SteamDB. So the probable scenario is that, for Asia, they're going to release the game in March alongside PS5.

InD_ImaginE FYI SEGA announced Xbox and Windows 10 release of 7/LAD for Asia and Japan. February 25th, comes a few days earlier than PS5 release. https://asiablog.sega.com/archives/17630

There's no mention of Steam in press releases, but Japan gets Steam release so it's probable I think.

Ivan

Arcane
Quick Q about exploration/threat meter: are the pips always in relation to your level? E.G. if I'm level 20, and I face off against say LV 19 enemies, will that still = 1 to 2 pips on the threat meter. Even when I'm LV 50 vs LV 48 goon squad?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
comparing Kiwami (a remake of the first game) to 0 (the 6th (mainline) game in the series) is dumb, there's not much they could have done to make the story better without completely changing it.. the 'majima anywhere' system is fucking retarded though and I hate how it doubles down on memejima... Kiwami 2 is better.

Deadass

Savant
Did they even set up the steam store page for the remastered trilogy? It's literally coming out in less than a week lol

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I've been catching up with the series. I gave 0 a try about 2-3 years ago seeing it was praised here, I liked it well enough ; I'm playing it over again because of the remasters. I've reached 3 now and strangely enough this is my favorite so far, despite it being generally seen as the weakest in the series. I think the kids stuff add something to Kiryu's character ; he doesn't entirely fit in the serious crime and political world of the main narratives. If anything the overall moral themes of these stories make little sense for how serious they are presented. Kiryu's motives for being involved are always blurry at best as he's always being reactive, it doesn't make for very engaging crime drama. But him being in more light situations makes a lot of sense and it's always pretty funny. Also since his character is all about being reactive and protective, he needs people to defend and nurture or really we forget why he's here. The kids give that background to him, at any rate.

I think the first two games had pretty weak plot to be honest. Too convulsed and the emotional moments didn't work at all. They kill off too many characters without developing them, and the over the top twists just become comical. But in 3 I think they take their time a bit more, somehow I like all the characters, be it the protagonists or the villains, and I'm invested. I did like 0 too in that sense. I guess what's amazing and unique with this series is that it exists at all ; investing a narrative over 7 games isn't something that is very common, they can work on it as titles advance. I'm always for developers having the possibility to work on their craft over time. One-hit wonders are an illusion ; the old school classics that we know had a lot of craft behind them, no doubt.

As was said elsewhere no doubt, what this series does masterfully in my opinion is dissonance. Somehow they make it work ; it shows how much narratives don't need to be coherent or logical to be good. Not that most of the stories don't hold up, but their qualities don't come from their structure, they come from the tonal shifts. It's pretty sweet, I think. In other words, the concept of "narrative dissonance" shouldn't be considered to be only pejorative, especially when you look at this series.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I really liked the fighting system in 0 and Kiwami, then got to Kiwami 2, which is supposed to have way better gameplay, but I liked 0 and Kiwami a lot more. Maybe I was just burned out. I'll give it another shot eventually. I still have a lot of 7 to go through, but I'm avoiding it for now because I don't really care for the management mini-game and I dread going through it to get the other party member.

Jinn

Arcane
So Yakuza 3-5 remaster is supposed to be out on PC in 5 days, but there's still no Steam page for it. What the fuck Sega, get your shit together.

Caim

Arcane
Would be pretty funny if Sega forgets about putting up the page and have to scramble to upload it in time.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, bros, is Like a Dragon worth buying?

I never touched any of Yakuza games and most likely wouldn't, but this one is TB, which is the only type I play these days.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I never touched any of Yakuza games and most likely wouldn't, but this one is TB, which is the only type I play these days.
It's a mighty fine game if you don't mind J-drama and lots of cut scenes. It was my GOTY for 2020 and I haven't even beaten it yet. It's that good.

Caim

Arcane

Aside from Yakuza 0 it's the easiest game to enjoy stand-alone, and it has a lot of heart. If you want a gritty crime drama mixed up with a playable shitpost you'll have one hell of a time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom