Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware "Yasumi Matsuno may or may not be surprised his new game is being released" Unsung Story thread

80Maxwell08

Arcane
So Yasumi Matsuno, who doesn't need to be explained here, is making a new SRPG whose title is in the thread name.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/1...sumi-matsuno-working-on-new-rpg-unsung-story/
http://www.playdekgames.com/games.php?games=unsungstory_page.php&title=Unsung Story

It is currently being made in collaboration with Playdek who make tabletop games. Matsuno is making the SRPG and apparently creating the world along with it judging from what he says in the article.

Also there is a digital card game being made to go with it that is being done by Christophe Boelinger whose apparently big in France.

There aren't any details about the platforms either game will be released on but the card game will be coming first sometime in 2014 and the SRPG will be second. The company page sounds like both will come out in 2014 though but I could be misreading that.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Did someone just say Yasumi Matsuno is making a new SRPG. :mca:
The card game sounds like it could be pretty okay, too.

Repressed Homosexual
I doubt it will be something ambitious or mature as he said he didn't want to make such fastidiously long and complicated games anymore, but you never know.

grudgebringer

I only played Crimson Shroud from what he was been responsible for, but it's enough to make me keep an eye on his subsequent projects. Maybe someday I'll try Vagrant Story through emulator. Is it still playable this days?

Elthosian

Arcane
Some details:

At the Tokyo Game Show, Matsuno explained to us that Unsung Story will be based around nine small countries, each one fighting one another. Matsuno is taking inspiration from the Saxon Britain of the 5th to 8th centuries, an era following the Romans’ retreat. As the name suggests, Unsung Story will focus on the more ordinary people of war – the foot soldiers rather than the Eisenhower’s, as Goodman put it.

As for the tactics-based battle system, Matsuno said Unsung Story will play somewhat similar to Final Fantasy Tactics, based around a small number of combatants rather than large armies. In contrast to having a story based around a main character as Tactics did,Unsung Story lets players select whichever country and its leader they want to at the start of the game, and how they work through the various countries. That sounds a little complicated to build a narrative around, but Matsuno said that despite the game’s name, narrative isn’t as big a part of the game.

http://www.digiboardgames.com/unsung-hero-new-game-yasumi-matsuno/

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Similar to Final Fantasy Tactics...based on Saxon Britain...color me intrigued.

Narrative not being a big part, too bad, he's good at that sort of thing. But if the game is solid, it should be good.

grudgebringer

It's going to be some underwhelming microtransaction lite stuff with Magic the gathering elements, you can count on it. Matsuno has lost his way.
let's just say that f2p or microtransactions aren't necessarily bad things. actual implementation is what matters first of all.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Some details:

At the Tokyo Game Show, Matsuno explained to us that Unsung Story will be based around nine small countries, each one fighting one another. Matsuno is taking inspiration from the Saxon Britain of the 5th to 8th centuries, an era following the Romans’ retreat. As the name suggests, Unsung Story will focus on the more ordinary people of war – the foot soldiers rather than the Eisenhower’s, as Goodman put it.

As for the tactics-based battle system, Matsuno said Unsung Story will play somewhat similar to Final Fantasy Tactics, based around a small number of combatants rather than large armies. In contrast to having a story based around a main character as Tactics did,Unsung Story lets players select whichever country and its leader they want to at the start of the game, and how they work through the various countries. That sounds a little complicated to build a narrative around, but Matsuno said that despite the game’s name, narrative isn’t as big a part of the game.

http://www.digiboardgames.com/unsung-hero-new-game-yasumi-matsuno/

Reminds me of brigandine

grudgebringer

As for the tactics-based battle system, Matsuno said Unsung Story will play somewhat similar to Final Fantasy Tactics, based around a small number of combatants rather than large armies. In contrast to having a story based around a main character as Tactics did,Unsung Story lets players select whichever country and its leader they want to at the start of the game, and how they work through the various countries.
:yeah:

Vagrant Story ---> Unsung Story?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
lsAp50v.jpg

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/09/console-releases-for-matsunos-unsung-story-may-be-dictated-by-c/
http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/26474/singing-the-unsung-story-a-chat-with-playdeks-jo

2015 for iOS and Android with possible PC or console release...and it will be episodic :|

Matsuno is known for sprawling European influenced game worlds that cover large time periods, which will be the same for the world of Rasfalia, the setting of Unsung Story. It's something that is “close to Matsuno’s heart.” On the world, Joel explains, “It will have that span. We have a full and complex game world right now. Unsung Story is set across a war that spans 77 years. There are two kingdoms that have been the central powers where most of the conflict stems from. There are underneath that myriads of other factions and countries that are caught up in this whole mess.”

Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians is flagship game of the series and is a full-fledged tactical RPG. The story will be told in a series of episodes, each focused on key characters. Things are then broken down into multiple stages, which you will play through. “You play through it in a hybrid of looking at the events through the eyes of these key players, but then you control, manipulate, and move through the unsung ones. As we know from history, it’s those on the battlefield or back in the capitals that we never know who they are, but it’s their story the impacts the broader picture.”

Expect a 3D game world for Unsung Story as well as cut-scenes (not yet locked down as in-game or not) to help tell the story. This project gives Playdek the opportunity to build the world from the ground up with a team of artists in-house as well as Mr. Matsuno.

The whole series is being built to be platform agnostic, meaning many platforms are possible, though not all have been promised. Right now Playdek has mentioned "mobile devices" with more specifics coming down the line.

I was eager to know if it would feature any of Playdek’s award-winning multiplayer. Rest assured, there will be PVP, Arena type multiplayer, as well as a co-op mode. This is still early in the concept stage, so Joel did not have a firm plan on how to execute a co-op mode, but he really wants to accomplish it.

Last edited:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Well the only thing I read about episodes was the story so they may not be sold in episodes just told in them. As for the cross platform thing with consoles odds are Sony will allow it unless they don't care about this or there isn't a lot of interest in this game. Still I'll at least keep an open mind though I'm not a fan of iOS or Android.

Elthosian

Arcane
Yeah, from what I read in the joystiq article it doesn't seem so:

As Goodman explained, Unsung Story features a "completely envisioned Matsuno world" that's focused around the "77 Years War," a central conflict between two major kingdoms. However, that fight extends to a much more fractured struggle between as many as "13 to 15" different nations and cultures, spread out across that history.

The game is split up into episodes across that timeline, some lasting a year, others as much as a decade, and players can tackle those episodes in whichever order they want. Each episode has central heroes who are key to that particular story, but the tactics gameplay focuses more on the everyday people of the war.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
As long as it makes it to PC my interest remains piqued. Don't screw this up.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It must be on PC, the world is not so cruel as to make a Matsuno game mobile only.

I certainly hope so but you never know with Japanese developers and their aversion to PC. You certainly wonder if this digital boom has even phased them in their own rapidly imploding marketing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom