Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware "Yasumi Matsuno may or may not be surprised his new game is being released" Unsung Story thread

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I kinda will just buy this out of principle regardless how good the game actaully is

Like, some KS are so horribly managed that all the money went kapput and here we have a publisher trying to salvage this shit and actually fulfilling the commitment of the KS, at the very least the game (I doubt the physical stuff will be as smooth).

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Out of curiosity, I played a few minutes of the EA. This is definitely ... a game of this type. Move units around, activate abilities, chip away at hit point bars, etc. The twist is the "harmony" system where every ability adds a "note" to a musical measure. Once you get 6 notes, depending on the music your team will get a different buff for the next 3 turns. Cute idea.

Background music is offensively generic, the art looks good and has taken one or two steps away from the cartoonish WoW/mobile style, buttons are large and interface is very clicky. Story seems very generic too; a major NPC actually says "the fate of the world hangs in the balance" to the low level flunky protag within the first 10 lines of dialogue. Even as a joke, never start a story off this way.

Overall nothing that will change your life and there are better games out there to play, but if I were locked in a room with only this game I would play it without rancor.

Last edited:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Guess the thread title deserves to be changed again on account of the new devs actually getting to release then. Anyone want to suggest a new thread title?

Efe

Erudite
its like getting a free meal to those of us who had already written this kickstarter off...
I still dont get why they took on this project though

Smoker

Scholar
"Yasumi Matsuno may or may not be surprised his turd from 8 years ago is being released" Unsung Story thread

Gruncheon

Savant
"Yasumi Matsuno may or may not be surprised he made a game"

That reminds me: does he have any new projects?

He's been working on FF14 - he did work for the 2018 expansion which was a sort of wrap-up to the Tactics storyline based on a 'what-if' where Ramza had died at the end of the original game. Matsuno has separately stated Ramza and friends survive the end of Tactics, which I think is probably the less interesting ending. He's also worked on the story for the most recent expansion. The dev team on 14 absolutely love the guy and were delighted to have him on board. I think he tweeted about Unsung Story (in Japanese) recently, saying that he had no idea what was going on with his story but wishing the team the best of luck with it.

Endemic

Arcane
My understanding was he wrote a design document and maybe did some brainstorming with the dev team at best.

This quote "While the world setting and plot seem to have remained to a degree, my original ideas for the battle system / gameplay area had already been taken in a very different direction early on (at the time of the Kickstarter launch)..." pretty much confirms that.

Efe

Erudite
from what i recall he wanted triangles instead of a grid.
little orbit couldnt make it work in a fun manner

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom