Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GRAVEN - dark fantasy first person action puzzler from 3D Realms

geno

Savant

https://af.gog.com/game/graven?as=1649904300

This is getting ridiculous
Y7UGtGV.jpg

Channel for our unannounced FPS - A return of a cult-classic shooter. To be announced...
Channel for the Unannounced FPS, 1998, developed at Slipgate Ironworks and 3D Realms
Edit:
3DR - Frederik Schreiberhoy a las 20:58
@geno New game
[20:59]
If Ion Fury was 1996
WRATH 1997
This is 1998

Last edited by a moderator:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
This new project also has legendary artist Chuck Jones attached to it. :positive:
He was responsible for some of the most iconic Duke Nukem 3D and Half-Life monsters.

Lemming42

Arcane
Wonder how a Half-Life clone would work. The recipe for these throwback games, so far, seems to be to completely caricature the styles of the originals to the point of absurdity. How do you do that with Half-Life? Like, will the entire game be one long corridor and as you walk down it, really cool scripted shit happens literally every step - explosions, tentacles smashing through the wall, the floor collapsing and throwing you down into another corridor, etc?

otsego

Cipher
I hope it isn't some sort of Half-Life type of game. I say this as a guy who plays through HL, its expansions, HL2, its episodes in sequence about twice a year.

I love the game but I recognize its contribution to slower, more scripted and cinematic driven shooters. Valve at that time was a special team and I doubt it can be replicated.

Saw that some on this forum are getting sick of throwback shooters but I still want more. More Dusk, more Ion Fury, more Amid Evil, more Doom and Quake and Hexen and Duke clones please.

Jezal_k23

I'm not tired of the throwback shooters at all. At least they are fun and, even though they are throwback shooters, they feel fresh after over a decade of cover shooters. I'm not ready for this thing to end. Keep them coming.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I hope it isn't some sort of Half-Life type of game. I say this as a guy who plays through HL, its expansions, HL2, its episodes in sequence about twice a year.

I love the game but I recognize its contribution to slower, more scripted and cinematic driven shooters. Valve at that time was a special team and I doubt it can be replicated.
reaching a level of some of HL mods would be enough for me.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
and Hexen

As far i can tell there hasn't been a single one of those throwback shooters that have Hexen and Hexen II's level design approach.

IMO if your normal game progression doesn't require you to find bits that in other games would be secrets, then your Hexen throwback attempt has failed :-P

Parsifarka

Arcane
Hexen level design isn't that remarkable; besides the interconnected puzzle gimmick most of the levels themselves are rather bland. But if we are talking about the medieval fantasy weapons, cool items and overall artistic direction (dead leaves flying with the wind, stained glass, murky soundscape, etc) then sure, bring more of that.

As for the 1998-like release, I do hope it's based upon Unreal. Consoles killed the vast and beautiful 3D FPS that sold GPUs, it's time to have that unique school of design (bright and complex levels with Tomb Raider inspirations) back.

soulburner

Cipher
Wasn't it 3DRealms that said they worked on a SiN remaster of sorts a few years ago, but they got stuck legally?

I even got a screenshot here:

kMGw2lo.jpg

Jezal_k23

No one has had the balls to do Hexen yet. I hope one day someone comes forward and goes for it though.

ironmask

Arbiter
I don't know why people are getting tired of throw back shooters, it's not like we get boring over-budget cover and looter shooters every year. If you're tired then why don't you just not play them.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hexen level design isn't that remarkable; besides the interconnected puzzle gimmick

Well, i had Hexen 2 more in mind which also took advantage of the 3D environments, but getting lost in levels trying to figure out how to proceed was a big reason for me to love the game. It does help that i like exploring each little corner, opening every chest and pushing every button in games though.

otsego

Cipher
and Hexen

As far i can tell there hasn't been a single one of those throwback shooters that have Hexen and Hexen II's level design approach.

IMO if your normal game progression doesn't require you to find bits that in other games would be secrets, then your Hexen throwback attempt has failed :-P

Agreed, but I got serious Hexen vibes from Amid Evil - the art style, the sound effects, the weapons with dual mana system, the "three more to go...." switches, tome of power (Heretic), and main hub (more like Quake episode select I know).

OctavianRomulus

Learned
The last shreds of optimism in me still hope that 3DR managed to get the Duke3D rights back and are making a new game based on the 2001 build.

geno

Savant
I only played Hexen 2 (just made it to the second hub). The level design felt like a big pile of bullshit to me.
Btw, the first unnaounced game could be a Gunman Chronicles remaster

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
No one has had the balls to do Hexen yet. I hope one day someone comes forward and goes for it though.

"A door has opened (in the level). Somewhere..."

I wonder if they'll act so poorly towards their own customers and workers like they did in Ion Maiden.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Hexen is much better than Heretic, but could use some dress-up and sense of direction with it's "puzzles", instead of them just being switch hunts.

Agreed, the level design is unnecessarily obtuse but I do like the hub-based design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom