Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
I started a new game of Morrowind yesterday on an impulse, so why not create a new thread?

I'm playing the game entirely vanilla, aside from official plug-ins. In fact, I haven't even installed the expansions yet, in order to avoid the retardation of being able to get some of the best light armor in the game the first time you rest. Not that my character uses light armor, but that's a lot of free money in an already easy game. My character is what I'm calling a Shield Maiden, although really it's just a warrior with a couple skills swapped between minor and major, and vice-versa. Heavy armor + Spear as my primary until I max endurance, plus shield and blunt as my secondary, which will become primary once I no longer need endurance. I'm not doing the min-maxing bullshit of trying misc. skills to get multiple +5 attribute increases, not am I really messing around with the magic system, which is cool in theory but is so abusable it's not even funny. I'm initially focusing on Fighter's Guild and Legion quests, with an intent to go up the Redoran ladder shortly. Rather than making a bee line on guild advancement however, I am taking the time, particularly in the wilderness, to do any side quests or random dungeons I come across, as I've missed a lot of that stuff in my playthroughs over the years, instead making beelines towards finishing extended quest lines.

Although Morrowind will always be a broken technical design in many ways, the game never ceases to be compelling for me. I enjoy the basic gameplay, the unaided exploration, the thrill of discovery, and the world design. Skyrim was surprisingly good, but still I would kill for another Elder Scrolls game that isn't afraid to say "follow the road until you reach a break in the ridge, cross over into the ravine, and see if you can't find cave where the legendary treasure is rumored to be somewhere in the valley beyond the ravine."

Overboard

Arcane
Wait till Jaesun relocates your thread, that'll teach you to call Morrowind a real cRPG.

I too replay Morrowind every now and then, it's great.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Wait till Jaesun relocates your thread, that'll teach you to call Morrowind a real cRPG.

I too replay Morrowind every now and then, it's great.

Eh, it's contemporary with the last few Infinity Engine games, and it's hardly an example of popamole hand-holding, even if it is quite different from a Gold Box game or Might and Magic. Didn't quite seem right to put Morrowind in with the likes of Dragon Age :P

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I generally install at least a better bodies/faces mod. One thing I hate about Morrowind, stupid though it may be, is the lack of scabbards. I hate the way you can put and take a giant warhammer out of your pocket like a looney tunes character.

Last edited:

ColCol

Arcane
Could never find Caius Cosades so rage quitted.

I remember my brother playing the game when I was younger. He kept throwing huge fits over the fact that he couldn't kill some rats with his fighter character. He quit soon after, hilarious. Though, he did play the game later to completion.

Nael

Arcane
I could never play Morrowind unmodded. It would be like trying to drink straight rotgut Vodka. You gotta at least throw some pineapple juice and a paper umbrella in that bitch.

corvus

Arcane
I envy your ability to just install it and then play so easily.

I'm playing the game entirely vanilla, aside from official plug-ins. In fact, I haven't even installed the expansions yet, in order to avoid the retardation of being able to get some of the best light armor in the game the first time you rest. Not that my character uses light armor, but that's a lot of free money in an already easy game.

I read this and immediately thought, "there's a mod for that". I installed Morrowind + expansions a day before you, and I'm not even done picking out the mods to download, let alone install them. :M

DraQ

Arcane
I started a new game of Morrowind yesterday on an impulse, so why not create a new thread?

I'm playing the game entirely vanilla, aside from official plug-ins.
At least get MCP for stability and general unfucking.

Also, do install expansions, you don't need to activate them yet - better journal is useful and it will save you lengthy savegame conversion that isn't guaranteed to go right (at least that's what I expect of Bethesda's programming dream team).

My character is what I'm calling a Shield Maiden, although really it's just a warrior with a couple skills swapped between minor and major, and vice-versa. Heavy armor + Spear as my primary until I max endurance, plus shield and blunt as my secondary, which will become primary once I no longer need endurance.
I would go with spear when in the open and able to keep distance, blunt+shield when forced to go up close and personal.

Although Morrowind will always be a broken technical design in many ways, the game never ceases to be compelling for me. I enjoy the basic gameplay, the unaided exploration, the thrill of discovery, and the world design. Skyrim was surprisingly good, but still I would kill for another Elder Scrolls game that isn't afraid to say "follow the road until you reach a break in the ridge, cross over into the ravine, and see if you can't find cave where the legendary treasure is rumored to be somewhere in the valley beyond the ravine."
:salute:

I could never play Morrowind unmodded. It would be like trying to drink straight rotgut Vodka. You gotta at least throw some pineapple juice and a paper umbrella in that bitch.
:hmmm:

You could never be a :x:.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Another straggling Morrowind topic, where's Jaesun.

As long as the discussion pertains strictly to unmodded Morrowind, Jaesun's gaze won't detect it. Kinda like that thing when Sauron didn't spot Frodo & Sam when they were right under his nose - all the modded Morrowind threads are at the gates of Mordor, holding his attention.

Helton

Arcane
I'm playing the game entirely vanilla, aside from official plug-ins.

Interestingly I always found the official plugs hurt the atmosphere as much as many of the worst third party mods. A big appeal of Morrowind is the consistancy of the game worl,d and the right "feel" was always my prime criterion when selecting a mod. So I never use the official plugs.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I've never used the official plugins just because none of them sounded interesting.

Props for playing vanilla. other than making it widescreen I do the same thing. Props on waiting on the expansions too, those assassin's not only ruin game balance but are annoying as fuck.

dieu

Learned
Are there any decent mods for MW? Last time I added content-related plugins to Morrowind must have been around 2004-2005, and most of them were crap or they broke the atmosphere. When I replay it every now and then I just go vanilla. Not crazy about most cosmetic mods, the new graphic extender mods sure look nice but the extended draw distance does remind you about how small the world actually is. A vanilla playthrough every two or three years, though, often ends up yielding something new, especially when trying out different character builds. I think last time I played (a couple of years ago) I found a shipwreck full of pillows with a receipt for someone -- I went to Balmora, checked, and sure enough, it was for that woman in Balmora from the early Figher's Guild quests. These little unmarked details are what gives the game its magic.
Tamriel Rebuilt is excellent, if 'more of the same' (with all the problems that implies) is what you're after

himmy

Arcane
I recently reinstalled it and started playing it with only the expansions (for the improved journal and such), Tamriel Rebuilt (which I haven't yet touched) and a few balance parts of the overhaul mod installed. While I'm having a lot of fun with it, the fact that I can still remember a lot of places where I can, very early on, get a lot of good loot, like an almost full glass armor set or the Lord's Mail or others of the sort turns the game more into an exercise in morality, where I question my own willpower in avoiding those until later. In the end, I gave in, but only after I passed level 15, grabbed some good armor, used a stolen Winged Twilight soul to enchant a glass longsword with shock damage and am now ridding every Daedric shrine of the scum they hold.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I tried to play Morrowind a year or two ago as turn based. I would attack, then wait for the enemy to attack, etc. Was fine during most of the game, but towards the end, I got tired of playing that way. Mobs would take a ton of clicks to kill, and they'd also do more damage per hit to me. Could have worked though with some tweaks.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I tried to play Morrowind a year or two ago as turn based. I would attack, then wait for the enemy to attack, etc.
:what:

What faggotry is this?

:retarded: :decline:
Game sucked with spam clicking and attacking. It was so easy anyway. Why not try to make the combat turn based? Probably could be modded rather easy too. Or to simply make it so the enemies attack every time you do. Trying to turn an action game into turn based is faggotry? I'm disappointed Draq.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yeah, Morrowind has plenty of issues, but I still love it.

Always have some mod enabled though. Usually just better graphics and removing some things, like getting free Dark Brotherhood armor easily.

visions

Arcane
Also, do install expansions, you don't need to activate them yet - better journal is useful and it will save you lengthy savegame conversion that isn't guaranteed to go right (at least that's what I expect of Bethesda's programming dream team).

I don't remember anymore, are you saying it was possible to benefit from the Tribunal changes (improved journal and map notes) without enabling the actual Tribunal content?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom