Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

DraQ

Arcane
Also, do install expansions, you don't need to activate them yet - better journal is useful and it will save you lengthy savegame conversion that isn't guaranteed to go right (at least that's what I expect of Bethesda's programming dream team).

I don't remember anymore, are you saying it was possible to benefit from the Tribunal changes (improved journal and map notes) without enabling the actual Tribunal content?
There is no better way than trying.

TBH I don't remember either, but it seems possible and I can't really be arsed to mess around with my morrowind.ini .

In any case massive improvements are massive.
Trying to turn an action game into turn based is faggotry? I'm disappointed Draq.
LARPing that an RT game is a TB one is faggotry.

Faggotry of immense proportions, comparable only to the infamous roleplaying ideas for Oblivion.

:flamesaw:
Filthy LARPer.

deuxhero

Arcane
Also, do install expansions, you don't need to activate them yet - better journal is useful and it will save you lengthy savegame conversion that isn't guaranteed to go right (at least that's what I expect of Bethesda's programming dream team).

I don't remember anymore, are you saying it was possible to benefit from the Tribunal changes (improved journal and map notes) without enabling the actual Tribunal content?

There are countless mods to delay or remove the attacks if nothing else (Don't worry about non-vanillaness, the Xbox version, but not the PC version for some reason, had them delayed till level 7).

Last edited:

Grimlorn

Arcane

There is no better way than trying.

TBH I don't remember either, but it seems possible and I can't really be arsed to mess around with my morrowind.ini .

In any case massive improvements are massive.
Trying to turn an action game into turn based is faggotry? I'm disappointed Draq.
LARPing that an RT game is a TB one is faggotry.

Faggotry of immense proportions, comparable only to the infamous roleplaying ideas for Oblivion.

:flamesaw:
Filthy LARPer.
Haha, turn based combat is LARPing? How dare you taint my computer with Oblivion links? I have almost no recollection of that game, so have no idea what you're talking about.

himmy

Arcane
I tried to play Morrowind a year or two ago as turn based. I would attack, then wait for the enemy to attack, etc. Was fine during most of the game, but towards the end, I got tired of playing that way. Mobs would take a ton of clicks to kill, and they'd also do more damage per hit to me. Could have worked though with some tweaks.

True Codex Hero. Through your valiant efforts, we now know the answers for the age-old question: "Where exactly is the sweet-spot of the autistic spectrum, in which your mental condition slowly turns you into a supehero?"

:kingcomrade:

MCA

The expansions replace the .exe files (and possibly some .dlls) which contain the basic game functionality that includes improved journal and map notes so the answer is yes. Once installed, you only get to enable or disable the expansion content, not improved features.

I tried to play Morrowind a year or two ago as turn based. I would attack, then wait for the enemy to attack, etc. Was fine during most of the game, but towards the end, I got tired of playing that way. Mobs would take a ton of clicks to kill, and they'd also do more damage per hit to me. Could have worked though with some tweaks.

True Codex Hero. Through your valiant efforts, we now know the answers for the age-old question: "Where exactly is the sweet-spot of the autistic spectrum, in which your mental condition slowly turns you into a supehero?"

:kingcomrade:

Can't blame him, the combat is so shit I can see someone taking desperate measures to make it more interesting.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
You can don't play it.
But hell, back then it was something.
I remember not completing the fighter's guild first quest to kill rats cause I used them for armor training.
Just sit there and let them rats bite me over and over.

Gord

Arcane
TB-ing Morrowind? Someone got a serious OCD here.

Turning Morrowind into a TB game would require much more than artificially dividing the combat into turns, at least if you want it to be fun.
That's not to say that Morrowind couldn't use a good overhaul of its combat, but I think it would be easier achieved keeping it RT.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
TB-ing Morrowind? Someone got a serious OCD here.

Turning Morrowind into a TB game would require much more than artificially dividing the combat into turns, at least if you want it to be fun.
That's not to say that Morrowind couldn't use a good overhaul of its combat, but I think it would be easier achieved keeping it RT.

Ask the Cliff Racers to take turn. :lol:

Gord

Arcane
Camera zooms out. A hexagon grid appears on terrain. Implement scripts to move/ kill with animation and attach blood splatter. Make menus to choose which script the char does. Either guard, move, kill, cast, etc. Limit movement range to 6 surrounding hexes scaled according to some random skill and opt in combat, aggressive range to line of sigh. Once combat is resolved camera pans back to explore mode. There you go.

Yes, but that is just what I said - simply dividing the combat into turns won't help. You need to do much more.
Even this is hardly enough, I think. A major overhaul of world design, enemies, their placement, skills, damage, etc. is necessary as well.

In comparison making Morrowind's 1st person RT combat not suck by adjusting it (e.g. through improved animations that offer more feedback, improved balancing of magic and other skills, etc.) seems easier and more consistent to me.

DraQ

Arcane
Camera zooms out. A hexagon grid appears on terrain. Implement scripts to move/ kill with animation and attach blood splatter. Make menus to choose which script the char does. Either guard, move, kill, cast, etc. Limit movement range to 6 surrounding hexes scaled according to some random skill and opt in combat, aggressive range to line of sigh. Once combat is resolved camera pans back to explore mode. There you go.

What if I play an acrobat, my main defence is mobility and range? What if I want to levitate?
And what's with this tile fetish? Is it seriously better to reduce environment resolution to 1m wide polygons? Were you raped against a wire fence in your childhood or something?

In other words, Muatra up your colon.

No, what Morrowind Combat needs first and foremost is better AI (capable of jumping, sneaking, retreating, picking items, sensible spell selection, moving between cells and exploiting environment), better NPC spells (on par with player-created rape-fests), faster moving spell effects and more NPCs with at least secondary ranged weapons (to counter cheese).

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
At first I was using that mega ultra Morrowind Overhaul mod but eventually the long load times and "too detailed" visuals bugged me. Now I just play using official plug-ins, the Morrowind Code Patch, and MGE XE so I can get distant land (fog set to a happy medium). Well, and, a few other little things, like Better Bodies, Better Road Signs etc.

Although I like the look of the game when it's completely pimped out, the simplicity of the original graphics has its own appeal, and unlike some games of the time, the textures aren't so muddy and indistinct that the game looks like mush nowadays. Whereas Thief, System Shock 2 etc. I will go for graphics mods pretty quickly, Morrowind doesn't look quite so dated.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Did you incorporate any rules for weapons with faster attack rates? One of the biggest advantages of choosing short blade (esp. daggers) was that you could land more hits. Something like two attacks per turn?
No I didn't use small weapons, just long, one handers if I remember right.
What if I play an acrobat, my main defence is mobility and range? What if I want to levitate?
And what's with this tile fetish? Is it seriously better to reduce environment resolution to 1m wide polygons? Were you raped against a wire fence in your childhood or something?

In other words, Muatra up your colon.

No, what Morrowind Combat needs first and foremost is better AI (capable of jumping, sneaking, retreating, picking items, sensible spell selection, moving between cells and exploiting environment), better NPC spells (on par with player-created rape-fests), faster moving spell effects and more NPCs with at least secondary ranged weapons (to counter cheese).
You guys are getting too specific with this. I'm simply talking about taking a turn to attack and the enemy getting a turn to attack at melee range. Instead of me getting 50 attacks to the mob's two. Movement would be in real time of course because implementing a tile based system would be crazy. Running while using a bow technically wouldn't work, but who wants to sit there and kite enemies with a bow in a game as easy as this. That's far more tedious. Same if you sneak attack, run, sneak attack, etc.

This was fine at the beginning when it took 5-10 hits to kill an enemy, but by the end of the game mobs had 20-50+ hits to kill. And I really only went through a short playthrough. Not playing hundreds of hours that way. I think I was around level 20 when I beat it. I used Ga-something character leveling system and just naturally progressed through the game, no training.

Creating an A.I. capable of doing what you suggest would be far more difficult than revamping the combat system so you can't spam click attack and possibly having enemies attack right after you attack or drink a potion, cast a spell etc. I don't see how this is a bad idea.

You'd have to do something about the end game mobs, so they don't take 50 hits to kill.

Last edited:

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Skyrim was surprisingly good, but still I would kill for another Elder Scrolls game that isn't afraid to say "follow the road until you reach a break in the ridge, cross over into the ravine, and see if you can't find cave where the legendary treasure is rumored to be somewhere in the valley beyond the ravine."
This is the absolutely best aspect of Morrowind. Coupled with the beautiful enviroment and Jeremy Soule's fantastic music as you make your way there.

Let's look at Skyrim. Fantastic music? Still yes. Beautiful enviroment? Arguable. Thrilling exploration? Nope, replaced with quest arrow. A fucking MAGICAL ARROW. How could that possibly replace the entertainment of actually following directional instructions? I'm beating a long-dead horse, but GAH!

Funny thing is that there is a divination spell (classified as either Illusion or alteration, I think) that paints a shining trail to your current objective. It is useless since you already have the quest compass. It's as if they implemented that spell just for the PC players who would be turning the compass off in the INI.

AW8

Arcane
Funny thing is that there is a divination spell (classified as either Illusion or alteration, I think) that paints a shining trail to your current objective.
It's called Clairvoyance and belongs to Illusion. You trick yourself into believing you're smart, which makes you pass the INT check of 2 and find your target.

It is useless since you already have the quest compass. It's as if they implemented that spell just for the PC players who would be turning the compass off in the INI.
Or the retards who are one corridor away from their objective, but can't make sense of the local map and can't see any floating quest markers when they make a 360 degree sweep of the area.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Having a quest compass that just shows you which direction to travel in for a quest you're doing after looking at the map/journal isn't too bad as long as you can turn it off. It's how they went full retard and just told you where everything around you was and no option to turn it off. It's the equivalent of having someone over your shoulder telling you where everything is as you walk by and spoiling the game for you.

I also remember there being a quest in Skyrim where I had to turn the quest compass on because I got no directions, and the location wasn't marked on my map by the NPC who gave me the quest. I even talked to NPCs everywhere nearby to see if they could help. I eventually turned on the quest marker on my map and it was in the middle of nowhere with no location marker. They expected everyone to rely on that quest compass.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
This is the absolutely best aspect of Morrowind. Coupled with the beautiful enviroment and Jeremy Soule's fantastic music as you make your way there.

Let's look at Skyrim. Fantastic music? Still yes. Beautiful enviroment? Arguable. Thrilling exploration? Nope, replaced with quest arrow. A fucking MAGICAL ARROW. How could that possibly replace the entertainment of actually following directional instructions? I'm beating a long-dead horse, but GAH!

Yup. Honestly I've been having more fun with the journey to the quest location than with the quests themselves. And while Morrowind is not a hard game by any measure, I really appreciate that some dungeons are "high level" and that you will occasionally have cause to back off and try again some other time. In fact that's what I'm having to do right now, as the Fighter's guild quest I'm currently on is probably doable for me if I've got my gear repaired and a full stock of potions, but I burned through the later and wore out the former on the several hour, detour filled journey to the quest location. Now I'm having to back off, return to civilization, repair and restock before trying again. Imagine requiring that of players in a modern RPG!

AW8

Arcane
I also remember there being a quest in Skyrim where I had to turn the quest compass on because I got no directions
That is true for a lot of Skyrim's quests. Unless you're into mindless sweeping of general areas to find stuff, you're going to have to turn it on. Unless you use Better Quest Objectives of course.

Yup. Honestly I've been having more fun with the journey to the quest location than with the quests themselves. And while Morrowind is not a hard game by any measure, I really appreciate that some dungeons are "high level" and that you will occasionally have cause to back off and try again some other time.
That, or at least forcing you to use your racial power to overcome your foes, like when I had to use Adrenaline Rush to defeat the bandits in that pylon stronghold outside Balmora. And in Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, Star of the West was the only thing that made some of my low level victories possible.

In fact that's what I'm having to do right now, as the Fighter's guild quest I'm currently on is probably doable for me if I've got my gear repaired and a full stock of potions, but I burned through the later and wore out the former on the several hour, detour filled journey to the quest location. Now I'm having to back off, return to civilization, repair and restock before trying again. Imagine requiring that of players in a modern RPG!
Repairing weapons is not heroic. Wait this isn't The Old Republic

Also Morrowind art!!

http://lelek1980.deviantart.com/art/Balmora-Aerial-view-291703424

http://lelek1980.deviantart.com/art/Telvanni-tower-297403383

http://lelek1980.deviantart.com/art/Ald-ruhn-Silt-strider-port-277483327

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom