Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Funposter

Arcane
The point of the Mages Guild is that it's full of retarded, petty bureaucrats and narrow-minded scholars. This is why it all falls apart come Oblivion.
It's downright hilarious how the most well maintained and decent group amongst the imperial guilds in Vvardenfell is the Thieves' Guild. Meanwhile the Fighters' Guild are cuckolds of the Cammona Tong and Mages' Guild are idiots who get their highest ranks infiltrated by a low-quality Telvanni spy.

From the Mages' Guild, Ranis was basically the only one actively warring to keep the Mages' Guild from falling apart from all the sabotage that was going on. She was flawed as an overzealous traditionalist, but her points always proved to be right (accussing real necromancers, discovering real spies etc.)
In a way, it actually makes sense. The Thieves Guild is fighting for survival since it's trying to muscle in on the Cammona Tong's territory on an island which has only been open to colonization for 20 years, and it's not like there is some Imperial charter in place to ensure its existence like there is with the Fighters and Mages Guild. The Mages Guild in particular is basically the ultimate joke branch, with Trebonius having been sent there to act as local Archmage basically so he wouldn't make a mess of things somewhere important. The truth is that if you're in the Vvardenfell Mages Guild and aren't a Dark Elf who has a bone to pick with the Telvanni (so Ranis, basically) then you've somehow managed to fuck up or piss off the wrong people. It's the equivalent of being transferred/promoted to a "better" position in Arkansas or Mississippi.

Trebonius' promotion to Archmage.wav

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Anyone who chimps out and disables comments on their mods doesn't deserve a download.

Not just that, "she" made a massive deal out of this mod, talking about how you are helping Ukraine, how you are an evil Russian if you don't like the mod, and so on and so on.
All for what? The report showed that the amount of downloads amount to about 2 dollars. Yes, you heard that right. All that shitposting only to amass two fucking dollars for Ukranians, robbing better mods of the spotlight just because muh cause.

Up to this point, the mod has had 263 unique downloads. This generated a total of 1474 Donation Points. Since about 1000 Donation Points is 1 USD, this means that the mod could raise about 1.5 USD (which would be about 44 hrivnyas - Ukrainian currency) for the Ukraine Relief Effort in a month. This result might be disappointing for some, but we shouldn't forget that Donation Points are just a way for Nexus Mods to reward mod authors for their hobby, it's not a job, and also that all you needed to do was downloading a mod for this amount to be generated. For that, it's not a bad result. In addition to which, there is a war going on in Ukraine, where every penny counts. This 1.5 USD might have saved the life of someone!

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Anyone tried this? https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46913
Asking because I'm kinda scared of "lore friendly" mods since RoHT.

Anyhow to give you an answer other than "lol trannies": stick to some of the individual mods that compose it.
My suggestions are:

- Ashlander Quests
- Consequences for Looting the Andrano Tomb
- Exterminate all the Brutes
- Sixth House Smugglers

These are rather small mods by comparison, and in particular the latter three have little new dialogue.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Which one of you guys wrote this back in 02?

Ewuu2vi.jpg

None

Scholar
For those of you interested in the modding scene, the Morrowind Modathon just started as of today. There were over 200 entries last year so I suspect we'll see even more. Sort by Popular (30 Days) to see what's trending and noteworthy.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Most prestigious ladies and gentlemen,

At the cusp of two decades of being introduced to the world of Morrowind, with its delights and horrors, we are now introduced with a most interesting and quite unexpected addition by our very own monocled user David Cernat .

BEHOLD!!!

Darth Roxor or Saint_Proverbius , or even Infinitron if you have the time: perhaps a news highlight is in order... ?

Lemming42

Arcane
I'm playing through all the Elder Scrolls games - including Battlespire and the fantastic Redguard - for the millionth time, and I feel like I enjoy Morrowind less every time I return to it, which isn't the case for the other games in the series. Everything's so static and unreactive, and the quests are almost uniformly straightforward, linear, and conceptually boring. People rightly mock Todd for every other Skyrim quest being ridiculous and melodramatic, but Morrowind has the inverse problem of everything being dull as hell. It creates a sense of place better than any other game in the series, but you can't actually do anything in that place, beyond a set of trivial tasks - mostly fetch quests - given to you by a handful of NPCs. I thought I'd shake things up by killing the proprietor of the House of Earthly Delights, and the dancers just kept dancing as I tore chunks out of their boss. Then one of them told me to talk to her boss if I wanted a job there, with said boss lying dead in front of her. There's not even a token reaction to your actions, like there is in Daggerfall (walk into Mynisera's chamber in Castle Daggerfall and all the guards start massing in on you, for example).

There's like zero reactivity to anything the player does. Big Helende wants me to steal the Dispel Potion recipe. I go to ask the store owner and she says she'll NEVER give her secret potion formula away to anyone! I walk upstairs in full view of her and the guard, open her personal drawers, take the formula, and walk out. The fuck was the point of this quest? You literally can't fail it or influence its outcome in any way. The quest is to go to a shop and walk up the stairs. Same for the grand ebony staff heist, which Helende says is SO DANGEROUS that she CANNOT ASK YOU TO DO IT. Walk to the staff in question - an uneventful trip up Therena's tower - and stand behind the guy. Squat until the hidden marker comes up (I'm like 20 Sneak, so this isn't a high skill check) and then pick up the staff. The dude then turns towards me as I leave to give me a generic greeting, looks at the empty space where his staff once was, and doesn't give a flying fuck. The quest was essentially, again, to go somewhere and pick something up, and can't really be failed.

The Thieves Guild vs Fighter's Guild questline is just crying out for some reactivity but there scarcely is any - steal Sottilde's code book and bring it back to the Fighter's Guild, nobody gives much of a shit. I specifically asked Sottilde about the book, and her dialogue indicated that I'd mentioned I was sent by the Fighter's Guild, as she told me I'd have to choose where my loyalties lie. The book then goes missing one second later as I squat behind her looking like I'm trying to shit. Nobody cares about this or reacts to it afterwards, my standings with the Thieves' Guild and Fighters' Guild are both intact. The Thieves' Guild was going to use the codebook to get an edge on the Camonna Tong, but my theft of it hasn't set them back at all and isn't mentioned again.

It also genuinely is a big step down from Daggerfall in a lot of ways, though a notable step forward in a couple others. The world it creates is fantastic, but it's so empty.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm playing through all the Elder Scrolls games - including Battlespire and the fantastic Redguard - for the millionth time, and I feel like I enjoy Morrowind less every time I return to it, which isn't the case for the other games in the series. Everything's so static and unreactive, and the quests are almost uniformly straightforward, linear, and conceptually boring. People rightly mock Todd for every other Skyrim quest being ridiculous and melodramatic, but Morrowind has the inverse problem of everything being dull as hell. It creates a sense of place better than any other game in the series, but you can't actually do anything in that place, beyond a set of trivial tasks - mostly fetch quests - given to you by a handful of NPCs. I thought I'd shake things up by killing the proprietor of the House of Earthly Delights, and the dancers just kept dancing as I tore chunks out of their boss. Then one of them told me to talk to her boss if I wanted a job there, with said boss lying dead in front of her. There's not even a token reaction to your actions, like there is in Daggerfall (walk into Mynisera's chamber in Castle Daggerfall and all the guards start massing in on you, for example).

There's like zero reactivity to anything the player does. Big Helende wants me to steal the Dispel Potion recipe. I go to ask the store owner and she says she'll NEVER give her secret potion formula away to anyone! I walk upstairs in full view of her and the guard, open her personal drawers, take the formula, and walk out. The fuck was the point of this quest? You literally can't fail it or influence its outcome in any way. The quest is to go to a shop and walk up the stairs. Same for the grand ebony staff heist, which Helende says is SO DANGEROUS that she CANNOT ASK YOU TO DO IT. Walk to the staff in question - an uneventful trip up Therena's tower - and stand behind the guy. Squat until the hidden marker comes up (I'm like 20 Sneak, so this isn't a high skill check) and then pick up the staff. The dude then turns towards me as I leave to give me a generic greeting, looks at the empty space where his staff once was, and doesn't give a flying fuck. The quest was essentially, again, to go somewhere and pick something up, and can't really be failed.

The Thieves Guild vs Fighter's Guild questline is just crying out for some reactivity but there scarcely is any - steal Sottilde's code book and bring it back to the Fighter's Guild, nobody gives much of a shit. I specifically asked Sottilde about the book, and her dialogue indicated that I'd mentioned I was sent by the Fighter's Guild, as she told me I'd have to choose where my loyalties lie. The book then goes missing one second later as I squat behind her looking like I'm trying to shit. Nobody cares about this or reacts to it afterwards, my standings with the Thieves' Guild and Fighters' Guild are both intact. The Thieves' Guild was going to use the codebook to get an edge on the Camonna Tong, but my theft of it hasn't set them back at all and isn't mentioned again.

It also genuinely is a big step down from Daggerfall in a lot of ways, though a notable step forward in a couple others. The world it creates is fantastic, but it's so empty.
check out Tamriel Rebuilt

https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org

There's also the Project Tamriel umbrella group that shares a lot of devs with TR, think it's still in early development tho

https://www.project-tamriel.com/welcome

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
check out Tamriel Rebuilt
Just been reading over the thread and it definitely sounds interesting. I think I played it briefly before and was impressed but didn't get too far. I've lost motivation to continue much further with the vanilla game so I might just jump right into it.

fantastic Redguard
That good eh?
It's absolutely ace, janky as hell but worth a playthrough. Lots of creative puzzles, memorable characters, and it brings the weirdness of TES lore to the forefront even more than Morrowind does. Combat system is insane but not too bad when you get to grips with ti.

Codex Year of the Donut
fantastic Redguard
That good eh?
N'Gasta! Kvata! Kvakis! ahkstas so novajxletero (oix jhemile) so Ranetauw. Ricevas gxin pagintaj membrauw kaj aliaj individuauw, kiujn iamaniere tusxas so raneta aktivado. En gxi aperas informauw unuavice pri so lokauw so cxiumonataj kunvenauw, sed nature ankoix pri aliaj aktuasoj aktivecauw so societo. Ne malofte enahkstas krome plej diversaspekta materialo eduka oix distra.

So interreta Kvako (retletera kaj verjheauw) ahkstas unufsonke alternativaj kanasouw por distribui so enhavon so papera Kva! Kvak!. Sed alifsonke so enhavauw so diversaj verjheauw antoixvible ne povas kaj ecx ne vus cxiam ahksti centprocente so sama. En malvaste cirkusonta paperfolio ekzemple ebsos publikigi ilustrajxauwn, kiuj pro kopirajtaj kiasouw ne ahkstas uzebsoj en so interreto. Alifsonke so masoltaj kostauw reta distribuo forigas so spacajn limigauwn kaj permahksas pli ampleksan enhavon, por ne paroli pri gxishora aktualeco.

Tiuj cirkonstancauw rahkspeguligxos en so aspekto so Kvakoa, kiu ja cetere servos ankoix kiel gxeneraso retejo so ranetauw.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
fantastic Redguard
That good eh?
N'Gasta! Kvata! Kvakis! ahkstas so novajxletero (oix jhemile) so Ranetauw. Ricevas gxin pagintaj membrauw kaj aliaj individuauw, kiujn iamaniere tusxas so raneta aktivado. En gxi aperas informauw unuavice pri so lokauw so cxiumonataj kunvenauw, sed nature ankoix pri aliaj aktuasoj aktivecauw so societo. Ne malofte enahkstas krome plej diversaspekta materialo eduka oix distra.

So interreta Kvako (retletera kaj verjheauw) ahkstas unufsonke alternativaj kanasouw por distribui so enhavon so papera Kva! Kvak!. Sed alifsonke so enhavauw so diversaj verjheauw antoixvible ne povas kaj ecx ne vus cxiam ahksti centprocente so sama. En malvaste cirkusonta paperfolio ekzemple ebsos publikigi ilustrajxauwn, kiuj pro kopirajtaj kiasouw ne ahkstas uzebsoj en so interreto. Alifsonke so masoltaj kostauw reta distribuo forigas so spacajn limigauwn kaj permahksas pli ampleksan enhavon, por ne paroli pri gxishora aktualeco.

Tiuj cirkonstancauw rahkspeguligxos en so aspekto so Kvakoa, kiu ja cetere servos ankoix kiel gxeneraso retejo so ranetauw.
Gratulon pro malkovro de Google Translate!

Don Peste

Arcane

Sigourn

After 4+ years of fucking around :hug: with modlists again and again and again :love:have you finally claudicated and conceded that rfuzzo's Morrowind++ guide is the definitive "lore-friendly, vanilla-style" modding guide?

Sonic Titan

Educated
With the release of the Daggerfall Unity “GOG Cut”, I’ve got the bug to reinstall Morrowind and mod he hell out of it. What is the TLDR of OpenMW vs. MGEXE?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom