Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Sigourn

After 4+ years of fucking around :hug: with modlists again and again and again :love:have you finally claudicated and conceded that rfuzzo's Morrowind++ guide is the definitive "lore-friendly, vanilla-style" modding guide?
No way lmao.
My guide is better IMO, the thing is that I'm not playing Morrowind anymore and I thought people would like to have a setup dedicated only to vanilla Morrowind without dumb city overhauls.

Sonic Titan Use OpenMW if you 1) Can't play Morrowind otherwise 2) Aren't going to use many mods.
Else, go for normal Morrowind as MWSE (which comes with MGE XE) is required by any modern mod worth its salt.

deuxhero

Arcane
With the release of the Daggerfall Unity “GOG Cut”, I’ve got the bug to reinstall Morrowind and mod he hell out of it. What is the TLDR of OpenMW vs. MGEXE?

Literally the only reason to use MGEXE over OpenMW at this point is MWSE mod compatibility. The critical ones have been ported to OpenMW with cleaner implementation anyways.

On the other side, OpenMW is nearly a requirement for one of the biggest must play mods in Morrowind, Skyrim: Home of the Nords (and will be for sister project Province Cyrodill too when that's beyond demo stats in a year+) and an actual requirement for Starwind (A Star Wars themed total conversion). It's also remarkably stable and better running.

Sonic Titan

Educated
Yeah I’ve heard about the stability of OpenMW over MGE. That’s a big selling point to me.

Does OpenMW miss out on many large content-adding mods?

Funposter

Arcane
The critical ones have been ported to OpenMW with cleaner implementation anyways.
Citation needed

Yeah I’ve heard about the stability of OpenMW over MGE. That’s a big selling point to me.

Does OpenMW miss out on many large content-adding mods?
Depends on your definition of "large". There's content in OAAB mods which requires MWSE-lua although most of it is opt-in, which is to say you can complete all of the core content without it. Quite a few modern quest mods such as Vaermina's Quest, Pimp my Shrine and Demon of Knowledge all require MWSE, so it's worth it if you enjoy Daedra-related content. Also Glow in the Dahrk doesn't support interior sunrays yet which is a very cool feature.

Last edited:

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
[quote:]
_001_ Morrowind.esm
_002_ Tribunal.esm
_003_ Bloodmoon.esm
_004_ Wares-base.esm
_005_ Rise of House Telvanni.esm
_006_ The Undead.esm
_007_ MCA.esm
_008_ OAAB_Data.esm
_009_ Ownership Overhaul.esm
_010_ Patch for Purists.esm
_011_ Morrowind Advanced.esm
_012_ Tamriel_Data.esm
_013_ BCOM - Taller Lighthouse.ESP
_014_ Interior exterior flag reset.ESP
_015_ BCOM_Canal_01.ESP
_016_ BCOM_Brevur.ESP
_017_ BCOM_pathgrid_reset.ESP
_018_ Siege at Firemoth.esp
_019_ Cannibals of Morrowind MWSE.esp
_020_ Taddeus_Foods_of_Tamriel.ESP
_021_ Wares_Vvardenfell.ESP
_022_ Wares-TR_DATA.esp
_023_ Wares-MOAR.ESP
_024_ Killing Spree.esp
_025_ Staff Agency_NoModels.esp
_026_ Improved Inns Expanded - LGNPC Seyda Neen - Entertainers.ESP
_027_ AreaEffectArrows.esp
_028_ bcsounds.esp
_029_ master_index.esp
_030_ entertainers.esp
_031_ Patch for Purists - Book Typos.ESP
_032_ Patch for Purists - Semi-Purist Fixes.ESP
_033_ Descriptive Shrines.ESP
_034_ XE Sky Variations.esp
_035_ Creatures.esp
_036_ Djangos Dialogue.ESP
_037_ Great Service.ESP
_038_ Quest Of The Week.esp
_039_ TLAD Full - Still - Necro Colors.esp
_040_ Imperial Legion Expansion.esp
_041_ Morrowind Anti-Cheese Tweaked.ESP
_042_ BTB's Game Improvements (Necro Edit) Tweaked.esp
_043_ Diseases Restored.ESP
_044_ Ashfall.esp
_045_ The Publicans.ESP
_046_ Natural Healing.esp
_047_ Less_Generic_Bloodmoon.esp
_048_ LGNPC_SeydaNeen.esp
_049_ LGNPC_Khuul.esp
_050_ LGNPC_GnaarMok_v1_20.esp
_051_ LGNPC_AldVelothi_v1_20.esp
_052_ Neo's Unique Creatures.esp
_053_ LGNPC_MaarGan.esp
_054_ LGNPC_HlaOad.esp
_055_ LGNPC_Aldruhn.esp
_056_ LGNPC_Aldruhn_suppl.esp
_057_ LGNPC_Pelagiad.esp
_058_ LGNPC_TelMora.esp
_059_ LGNPC_Suran.esp
_060_ LGNPC_Ebonheart.esp
_061_ Less_Generic_Nerevarine.esp
_062_ LGNPC_PaxRedoran.esp
_063_ Magical Missions.ESP
_064_ VoicedVivec.ESP
_065_ YaketyYagrum.ESP
_066_ LGNPC_VivecFQ.esp
_067_ abotGondoliers.esp
_068_ BCOM_PfP_patch.ESP
_069_ LootableSpellbooks1.01.esp
_070_ abotBoats.esp
_071_ Adventurer's backback.ESP
_072_ BCOM_AbotSiltStriders.ESP
_073_ Way of the Necromancer Redux.esp
_074_ NPC_Schedule(beta).esp
_075_ LGNPC_TelUvirith.esp
_076_ LGNPC_SecretMasters.esp
_077_ LGNPC_IndarysManor.esp
_078_ LGNPC_VivecRedoran.esp
_079_ Less_Generic_Tribunal.esp
_080_ Idle Talk.ESP
_081_ Anthology Solstheim.esp
_082_ mwse_LockBashing.esp
_083_ Better Enchantments.esp
_084_ EcoAdjMerchantSkills (Necro Edit).esp
_085_ AnSol - Patch for Purists 4.0.0.esp
_086_ MDMD - Creatures Add-On.ESP
_087_ Area Effect Arrows Integrated.esp
_088_ Expansions Integrated.esp
_089_ Cutting Room Floor.esp
_090_ Wands.ESP
_091_ mtrDaedricOfferings.ESP
_092_ MDMD - More Deadly Morrowind Denizens.ESP
_093_ mwse_PoisonCrafting.esp
_094_ EcoAdjCrime (Necro Edit).esp
_095_ MW_Adv_Required.esp
_096_ Character Backgrounds.esp
_097_ mtrByTheDivines.ESP
_098_ mtrLineage.ESP
_099_ mtrCultures.esp
_100_ Ahead of the Classes.ESP
_101_ MW Containers Animated.esp
_102_ Dialogues_Decluttered_v1.6.esp
_103_ Ownership Overhaul.esp
_104_ adamantiumarmor.esp
_105_ LeFemmArmor.esp
_106_ EBQ_Artifact.esp
_107_ Creatures Merged Objects Fix.esp
_108_ Beautiful cities of morrowind.esp
_109_ No One is Above the Law (Stable).ESP
_110_ FMI_ServiceRefusal_Contraband.ESP
_111_ More Exclusive Factions.ESP
_112_ AlchemyFilter.esp
_113_ Necrocraft.esp
_114_ Animated_Morrowind - merged.esp
_115_ Panoplies.ESP
_116_ Immersive Mournhold.esp
_117_ Improved Inns Expanded.esp
_118_ Improved Inns Expanded - Entertainers.ESP
_119_ Clean Temple Service Refusal.ESP
_120_ Religions Elaborated.ESP
_121_ Privileges&Services 1.1.esp
_122_ Power Fantasy - Core.ESP
_123_ Power Fantasy - Skills.ESP
_124_ Power Fantasy - Races and Birthsigns.ESP
_125_ LDM - Racist Service Refusal.ESP
_126_ Imperial Factions.ESP
_127_ abotGuars.esp
_128_ abotWhereAreAllBirdsGoing.esp
_129_ Morrowind Crafting 2-1.esp
_130_ Spell Tomes.esp
_131_ Morrowind Crafting Equipment.esp
_132_ Enhanced Light.ESP
_133_ Improved Inns Expanded - LGNPC Seyda Neen.esp
_134_ cantrips.ESP
_135_ abotSiltStriders.esp
_136_ BCOM_abot_boats.esp
_137_ abotGondoliers_RVP.esp
_138_ Merged Objects.esp
_139_ Mashed Lists.esp

[/quote]
Modlist I'm testing, honestly going to trim it down For My STEP like Guide and maybe eventual wabbajack.

Last edited:

Funposter

Arcane
LGNPC sucks ass (maybe you can keep Pax Redoran but even that is dated tbh), Rise of House Telvanni is awful and if you want a revamp of Telvanni content I would simply recommend getting OAAB Tel Mora and Grazelands, especially since you have OAAB Data in there to use with BCOM. I also wouldn't really bother using the official plugins unless you have some reason for them or dependency. Siege at Firemoth, for instance, is not fun at all and really serves more as an example of what prospective modders could do with the Construction Set. You can just delete XE Sky Variations too.

Üstad

Arcane
Morrowind or was it just OpenMW?? had really unoptimized assets and low use of GPU, has it fixed yet?

Barbie

Novice
Morrowind or was it just OpenMW?? had really unoptimized assets and low use of GPU, has it fixed yet?
I have a 5950x and a 3080 Ti and heavily modded openmw does drop down to 30-50fps in Balmora. It does at times utilitize a lot of the gpu. I have about 250-300 mods running at 1440p. I have never had a single crash on it during 70h+ of gameplay. I have yet to encounter a mod I wanted that wasn't openmw compatible. Very similar mod load on vanilla engine, and it would drop to a minimum of 40fps, but I got crashes every few hours. If your mod load supports openmw and you have good hardware, It is incredibly stable and I personally prefer the stability over the perks of vanilla engine build. At this point I think the choice is based on what tradeoff you are more willing to work with.

Sonic Titan

Educated
I have a 5950x and a 3080 Ti and heavily modded openmw does drop down to 30-50fps in Balmora. It does at times utilitize a lot of the gpu. I have about 250-300 mods running at 1440p. I have never had a single crash on it during 70h+ of gameplay. I have yet to encounter a mod I wanted that wasn't openmw compatible. Very similar mod load on vanilla engine, and it would drop to a minimum of 40fps, but I got crashes every few hours. If your mod load supports openmw and you have good hardware, It is incredibly stable and I personally prefer the stability over the perks of vanilla engine build. At this point I think the choice is based on what tradeoff you are more willing to work with.
Thanks for the insight. I just wrapped up a 2-day OpenMW modding process, and am very impressed with how easy it was overall. The game looks phenomenal. I have like 320 mods so far and haven't crashed either. Looking forward to diving back in. Haven't done a serious playthrough since the xbox version.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Since June 25th, these have been the changes to Morrowind Sharp.
TL;DR: Removed A LOT of minor fixes/QOL tweaks that weren't necessary to the experience, in favor of fixes, audio mods and gameplay mods that make a drastic difference.

• Complete rewrite of the guide. Now focused on major improvements while keeping the core experience intact.
  • Added Cinia.
  • Added Calculated List Fix.
  • Added Putting Power in Willpower.
  • Added Alchemical Knowledge.
  • Added Title Screen and Logo Video Intro Reworked. If you don't care about hi-res interface, skip it.
  • Added Wide Screen Splash Replacer. If you don't care about hi-res interface, skip it.
  • Added Comrade Raven's Book Arts Replacer. If you don't care about hi-res interface, skip it.
  • Added Pete's Scroll 2018 ...in 2020. If you don't care about hi-res interface, skip it.
  • Added AURA.
  • Added Quieter Spell Sound Effects.
  • Added Character Sound Overhaul.
  • Added Character Sound Overhaul - Project Atlas Patch.
  • Added Idle Talk.
  • Added Pincushion.
  • Added Here Comes the Sun... Glare.
  • Added Watch the Skies.
  • Added Controlled Consumption.
  • Added Controlled Weapon Enchants.
  • Added Diseases Restored.
  • Added Harder Barter.
  • Added Marskman Rebalanced.
  • Added Magicka Based Skill Progression.
  • Added Magicka Expanded.
  • Added MM - Enhanced Detection.
  • Added No Rest Without Beds.
  • Added Pickpocket.
  • Added Poison Crafting.
  • Added Realistic Repair.
  • Added Stealth Improved.
  • Added Morrowind Anti-Cheese.
  • Removed Adamantium Ore Fix (if you want a guaranteed set of Adamantium Armor there's the official plugins for that).
  • Removed Divayth Fyr Puzzle Fixed (low mod count).
  • Removed Services Restored (replaced with Cinia, which does pretty much the same thing and doesn't need TESAME to remove unwanted edits).
  • Removed Silt Strider Animation Restored (low mod count).
  • Removed Memory Monitor (low mod count).
  • Removed Class Description Tooltip (low mod count).
  • Removed Consistent Enchanting (low mod count).
  • Removed Attribute Effect Tweaks (low mod count).
  • Removed Fortify MAX (low mod count, I would still recommend to use this mod since it mirrors MCP's tweaks to Fortify Health).
  • Removed IMMERSIVE RUN FIX (low mod count).
  • Removed Magican't (low mod count).
  • Removed Quest Skill Reward Fix (low mod count).
  • Removed Skill Increase GMST Fix (low mod count).
  • Removed Consistent Keys (low mod count, I would still recommend to use this mod since it tidies up inventory).
  • Removed Propylon Index Renamer (low mod count, I would still recommend to use this mod since it tidies up inventory).
  • Removed Soulgem Renamer (low mod count, I would still recommend to use this mod since it tidies up inventory).
  • Removed Cantons on the Global Map (low mod count).
  • Removed Kill Command (low mod count, I would still recommend to use this mod to make fights with companions easier).
  • Removed Sheep-no-More (already included in AURA).
  • Removed Distant Mournhold (low mod count).
  • Removed Randomised Chargen (low mod count).
  • Removed Quick Char (Necro Edit) (low mod count).
  • Removed QuickKeys Hotbar - MWSE (low mod count).
  • Removed Beware the Sixth House Tweaks (no longer necessary with the latest update of the mod).

dreughjiggers

Maidenhaver
TR brought me back Morrowind, and PC, but its been a long time. I haven't played any since before their last update. I want to keep my game vanilla: no graphics overhauls or city expansions. Just mechanical improvements, like Harder Barter. Any recs?

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I've started another playtrough of Morrowind and stumbled upon this list of rules in the Trade House in Seyda Neen, government sanctioned requirements to run the trade house. Aside of ye oldy speech, I'm surprised to see that it speaks of not allowing women to sell in the trade house without the husband's permission. As far as I know, Morrowind - and Tamriel in general - appear to be rather egalitarian towards the sexes, so the rule seems to out of place. But the way the text is written makes me think someone just taken medieval list of rules from some old text and copy-pasted it with minimum changes.

Or maybe I'm wrong? Any lore enthusiasts to explain to me why sexes aren't equal to the law in Morrowind?

wqN8G3R.png

None

Scholar
TR brought me back Morrowind, and PC, but its been a long time. I haven't played any since before their last update. I want to keep my game vanilla: no graphics overhauls or city expansions. Just mechanical improvements, like Harder Barter. Any recs?
All MWSE-Lua:
Pickpocket
Stealth
Wings of Will
Putting Power In Willpower 2 - Antimagic Boogaloo
Locks and Traps Detection
Nimble Armor
Alchemical Knowledge
Customizable MWSE Multi Mark and Harder Recall
Magicka Expanded
MM - Enhanced Detection
Limited Intervention
Brutal Backstabbing
Controlled Consumption

I could go on. Check the author for a mod if you enjoy it, Morrowind has a dozen or so modders who have remained active throughout the years and consistently put out good content.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Re-playing Morrowind reminded me how I resent the journal notes. Why is it written with certain personality? Why does it call people foolish or good? Who the fuck thought making the player character have opinions is a correct choice in a RPG game? I decide what I feel, not my journal. Ugh.

dreughjiggers

Maidenhaver
Re-playing Morrowind reminded me how I resent the journal notes. Why is it written with certain personality? Why does it call people foolish or good? Who the fuck thought making the player character have opinions is a correct choice in a RPG game? I decide what I feel, not my journal. Ugh.
The answer is that Morrowind is a role playing game game, not a role playing game. :cool:

Hagashager

Educated
I've started another playtrough of Morrowind and stumbled upon this list of rules in the Trade House in Seyda Neen, government sanctioned requirements to run the trade house. Aside of ye oldy speech, I'm surprised to see that it speaks of not allowing women to sell in the trade house without the husband's permission. As far as I know, Morrowind - and Tamriel in general - appear to be rather egalitarian towards the sexes, so the rule seems to out of place. But the way the text is written makes me think someone just taken medieval list of rules from some old text and copy-pasted it with minimum changes.

Or maybe I'm wrong? Any lore enthusiasts to explain to me why sexes aren't equal to the law in Morrowind?

wqN8G3R.png
It is canon in House Telvanni for women to be pawned off as brides in political marriages. They also get kidnapped as damsels. It's partly why that one Telvanni sorceress hates all men.

The Zainab Ashlanders also have arranged marriage and the chieftan can apparently demand women for pleasure (whether he gets one is a different matter.)

So there is a measure of precedent in Dunmer culture for misogyny and patriarchy, but not that widespread.

dreughjiggers

Maidenhaver
A bit of Vivec's dialogue, synthesized from his voice files: https://vocaroo.com/1mYKisb0ysNe

House Hlaalu represents the future of the Dunmer, integrated into the sophisticated mainstream of the traditionless, raceless, godless culture of the Empire. House Dres represents the past of pre-Tribunal Great House culture, a persistent tradition of Daedra- and ancestor-worshipping civilized Dunmer clans. And I even love the Ashlanders for their preservation of the most ancient barbarian tribal traditions of the Dunmer who first settled Morrowind.

I kept it short, because he only has an idle and a few barks to sample.

https://voca.ro/1kxG8E3pa5aP

Last edited:

dreughjiggers

Maidenhaver
Just Yagrum's two sound files in the bsa gave me what you hear. I want to tackle Vivec, but he only has like five seconds of speech, and his voice is distorted, so that may fuck with the ai. For Sotha Sil, I took 50 seconds of Doug Bradley's lines from some bullshit called Dead By Daylight, but I don't have anything interesting for him to say. Nobody's done him any justice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom