Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You guys MUST play The Elder Scrolls: Arena

Wyrmlord

Arcane
This isn't just some game you play for "historical purposes", or for idle curiosity, or for checking what that screenshot in MobyGames is like.

This is actually one of the most awe-inspiring gaming experiences you may ever have. If you have not played it, do so now. And if you have never played any Elder Scrolls game before, Arena may well be the most ideal choice for the only TES game you should play. It actually stands on its own merits, and isn't just another TES game.

• The dungeons are huge. When you arrive at the first big dungeon of the game - Fang Lair - you find a giant mine larger than the Imperial City. So huge is this place that at any point of time, you only see one-twenty-fifth of the whole dungeon on your top-down map. You find entire railways for mine-carts that snake around in a random manner for kilometers before abruptly ending. There are entire networks of claustrophobic underground mine shafts in which you crawl before coming out back into the main mining surface. And that's only one type of dungeon. There are dungeons made of emerald and ice, and in which you move more slowly under the freezing cold.
  • If you are a fighter style character who is without a Light or Invisibility spell, the game feels its most intense. You will never see more than two feet ahead of you in these giant dungeons. Enemies may suddenly come out of the darkness any time. They may attack you from behind. If you are splashing into a channel of water underground, a scorpion may come out of the darkness and paralyse you. And according to the game's rules, being paralyzed in water means you will drown and are dead. To top it off, the game has slow, gradual beats on a war drum always ringing in the dungeons, as if you are advancing slowly to your death in the middle of the darkness.
  • You are always running across the continent, across burning hot deserts, across tropical lands, across snowing, blizzard-filled areas. At each step you are gathering small bits of clues from common folk on the streets or in the inns. Each one of those clues sends you running across another province, or towards a quest that may give you clues. The changing climate makes a big difference on your character, with a Redguard struggling to walk across a snowstorm or a Dark Elf struggling to walk across a desert city.
  • The main villain is a powerful, clairvoyant, omniscient mage. He is always observing you, and always knows where you are. He initially disregards you, even though he knows exactly what you are doing. But if you are making rapid progress or are levelling faster than expected or are very close to a milestone, your screen blanks out and his furious face appears in front of you. He will tell you he knows where you are and he is teleporting interplanar monsters to your precise location so that they leave you no place to hide. Incurring Jagar Tharn's wrath means that resting becomes near impossible, as his assassins appear every hour. It's a strange, choking feeling that you could be running across so many lands, from Skyrim to Elsweyr, and Jagar Tharn always knows where you are, which inn you use, and where you are going.
  • Finding good quality equipment is very very hard. Item lists for shops are not randomly generated, but fixed, and finding the precise equipment you require may force you to run across a dozen shops in each city or a dozen cities in each province. But finding the best equipment is even harder, such as Auriel's Bow or Lord's Mail. To get them, you must always observe rumours and buy valuable information whenever you get the chance. Then you must trek through eight dungeon levels (or two dungeons, four levels) in two provinces, until you finally find that item. Then it becomes a very regular affair to repair them, or they will be lost very quickly.
Those are the six best points on why Arena is such an astounding game.
To give the quickest summary, Arena captures the feeling of a long, struggling, labourious adventure that drains your character at each step, and yet retains that strong feeling of achieving something big in a virtual fantasy world. You are always arriving in new lands, always garnering new clues, and always trying to stay one step ahead of an omniscient villain who can reach towards you from across space and time.

Revenant

Fuck it, I'm not touching another The Elder Scrolls game EVER. Should have said that already after playing Oblivion, but now I am tainted for having played Skyrim. Fuck you, TES and Bletpizda.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Fuck it, I'm not touching another The Elder Scrolls game EVER. Should have said that already after playing Oblivion, but now I am tainted for having played Skyrim. Fuck you, TES and Bletpizda.
This one was made in 1993-94 by an entirely different team.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
So why post in threads that don't interest you?

I'm just teasing you Wyrmlord.

And a lot of the stuff you are describing isn't actually implemented in the game. For example, rangers get a bonus to travel time but there are no racial adjustments to travel time based upon the type of terrain you're in. Likewise, Jagar Tharn only contacts you at predetermined in the quest progression.

Personally, I couldn't stand the game, and only beat it out of a perverse sense of completionism.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Personally, I couldn't stand the game, and only beat it out of a perverse sense of completionism.
The game actually irritated me a lot on my first attempt, and I could barely finish Stonekeep.

What actually made the game a lot more fun - and I advise everyone to do this before the main quest - was having the right artifacts.

Being level 11 and starting Stonekeep with the Ebony Blade, Auriel's Shield, Ring of Khajit, Auriel's Bow, Skeleton Key, and a couple of other items meant that I could speed through the dungeon very quickly.

When I first attempted Stonekeep, I only entered the second Royal Bedchamber after an hour, before I go frustrated and gave up on it.

But with all those artifacts, Stonekeep took....two minutes. And being able to steamroll through Stonekeep meant I could focus on the real meat of the game - the exploration of the big dungeons.

Luzur

Good Sir
Wyrmtounge, you are posting on the Codex FFS

is there anyone here that has not played it atleast 5-6 times with diff characters, even shitty ones?

Sounds like the kind of manipulative crap that you see on the back of a game box or being spewed out by paid-out journalists. I can see that most of what you have said is just an exaggerated emotional interpretation of a game of uncertain quality. Half of that stuff wouldn't even be fun. Next time you could try describing what actually happens in the game instead of how it made you feel.

Wyrmlord

Arcane

is there anyone here that has not played it atleast 5-6 times with diff characters, even shitty ones?
You are speaking based on the experiences of the Luzur gang - you, Sceptic, Demiath, made, Jaesun, Crooked Bee,.etc. Plenty of Codexers are not from the Luzur gang.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Sounds like the kind of manipulative crap that you see on the back of a game box or being spewed out by paid-out journalists. I can see that most of what you have said is just an exaggerated emotional interpretation of a game of uncertain quality. Half of that stuff wouldn't even be fun. Next time you could try describing what actually happens in the game instead of how it made you feel.
Well, here is something that totally happens for real in the game.

During some periods in the game, it is dark 24/7, the streets are half deserted during day time hours, you can barely find anyone with whom you can speak, and you are never sure whether it is day or night. It sort of raises the same IRL feeling that anyone from the East or from the Southern Hemisphere has when visiting a cold northern country for the first time. :D

(Or maybe it's a bug, idk lol)

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I can't stand playing the game, moving is too flickery and slow, it's just really annoying.
Wha-?

TES: Arena is the fastest Elder Scrolls game of them all. You, enemies, and NPCs all move very very quickly. Did you raise CPU cycles to 40,000?

hurr durr I have to spend 30s clicking on things to figure out how to play a 40 hour game. There's a manual that tell you how to do things. I don't know that warrior hit things with swords while mages hit things with spells, why didn't the game tell me what the classes do?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

You are speaking based on the experiences of the Luzur gang - you, Sceptic, Demiath, made, Jaesun, Crooked Bee,.etc. Plenty of Codexers are not from the Luzur gang.
Half the current KKKodex crop would rather play KOTOR for the eighth time.:rpgcodex:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Half the current KKKodex crop would rather play KOTOR for the eighth time.:rpgcodex:

hahahahaha, why would I replay Kotor when you aren't even a jedi at the beginning, preposterous
now, kotor 2, that's how you use the force
also the blonde chick and visas are way hotter than bastilia

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
also the blonde chick and visas are way hotter than bastilia

498641-visassockets.jpg

:yeah:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom