Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Younger generations and retro gaming.

Viata

Arcane
Nah, I'm playing video game. If I wanted to read some shit story by a shitty writer, I'd read fantasy books.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I like retrogaming because in some cases higher budget games back then were much more interesting and creative than they are now, more experimental and willing to take risks because the market wasn't as rigid as it is now. Of course, sometimes that's easier said than done to make ancient games play well on my few years old PC and its 4k monitor. Even if I can run it (thank goodness that GOG is around to do the work for me, unless it's one of the many games they don't have), it may still have technical limitations or other issues. I would love it if more games could get compatibility updates, remasters, or remakes. Sometimes I just can't stand the graphics or UI or whatever because it just hasn't aged well at all.

Myst is a good example. The game has been remade four times to update the graphics and introduce it to new generations, but otherwise the plot and puzzles have remained unchanged. I'm currently waiting for the sequels to get remakes since Cyan regained the rights to every entry in the series.

Not every old game was all that amazing, however. Some of them might have interesting ideas with really iffy executions and technical issues, but which are charming enough that you wish they could get remakes for posterity.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I like retrogaming because in some cases higher budget games back then were much more interesting and creative than they are now, more experimental and willing to take risks because the market wasn't as rigid as it is now. Of course, sometimes that's easier said than done to make ancient games play well on my few years old PC and its 4k monitor. Even if I can run it (thank goodness that GOG is around to do the work for me, unless it's one of the many games they don't have), it may still have technical limitations or other issues. I would love it if more games could get compatibility updates, remasters, or remakes. Sometimes I just can't stand the graphics or UI or whatever because it just hasn't aged well at all.

Myst is a good example. The game has been remade four times to update the graphics and introduce it to new generations, but otherwise the plot and puzzles have remained unchanged. I'm currently waiting for the sequels to get remakes since Cyan regained the rights to every entry in the series.

Not every old game was all that amazing, however. Some of them might have interesting ideas with really iffy executions and technical issues, but which are charming enough that you wish they could get remakes for posterity.
Myst's graphics got worse with each remake, why would you ever want that?

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I enjoy more playing games that had interesting ideas but failed to implement them than something safe and mediocre, i will remember the game that failed to execute the idea but i will forget about the AAA cinematic bullshit in a week even if it wasn't a "bad" experience.

Mediocrity is the greatest sin. Development of old games was much cheaper so they would toke risky ideas more often, they could release another game in a year anyway. Games taking half a decade to develop was a fucking mistake only to improve the hair on the cheeks of female protags.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Imagine playing an Infocom game without the feelies lmao
planetfall2.jpg
stationfall2.jpg

enchanter2.jpg

spellbreaker2.jpg

sorcerer2.jpg

wishbringer2.jpg

bureaucracy2.jpg

suspect2.jpg

moonmist2.jpg

lurking2.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom