Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Younger generations and retro gaming.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Often the things that people do that seem dumb, are just because of their expectations. If you put her in an actual room with a light etc. she would have done it. But she probably never played or saw anything like that. She probably played something else that made her expect to wait for something to happen.

You can change her development by introducing her to other games though. You might get her hooked on some other game, The Sims or Civilization or whatever. And even then people miss out on so much if they only find what comes to them. You could introduce her to stuff like STALKER, System Shock, Portal, Halflife, C&C, tycoon games, adventure games, etc. I have young relatives and they don't know anything about gaming. They know only what has been released since about 2020. And Minecraft. That's about it. 100% of what I'd call 'the classics' of gaming, they have never heard of. And there's no point me even talking about it either, they wouldn't understand.

So your solution is to keep them being retarded. ;)

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I remember I used to not even be able to leave the first room in some of the first games I played.
The real fun part is when you couldn't even get them to install, even with a legit copy, because it was saying shit like your sound card isn't compatible, even if it definitely was.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I remember I used to not even be able to leave the first room in some of the first games I played.
The real fun part is when you couldn't even get them to install, even with a legit copy, because it was saying shit like your sound card isn't compatible, even if it definitely was.
The actual real fun part was playing the game without graphics.

Silentstorm

Learned
I recall someone making a video about a non-gamer trying video games and him getting shocked when simple stuff was hard to understand, figure out and such, attributing it to gaming having a certain language and mechanics that gamers learn over the years and newcomers have to learn:

And yeah, one can go a bit far, i recall making a friend that is mostly a fan of action or less menu heavy games try Pathfinder Kingmaker...and even the character creation aspect was overwhelming with so many classes, traits, races and stats compared to other games where you just pick a character or you only move some stats around that i could see him having a negative reaction from the get go...probably didn't help he's not into tabletop RPG's either...in retrospect it was a terrible choice.

Viata

Arcane
If that video is the one about the guy letting his girl play the game, then many of those points are mostly because the girl is dumb instead of not knowing how to play games.

Pound Meat

Prophet
I assume that zoomers unironically refer to Skyrim as retro gaming by this point. In other words, they're not used to doing anything resembling thinking when they play video games. All they know is "follow quest marker and wait for the QTE".

Zoomers are tards who watch videos on their phones while sitting in a theater supposedly already watching a movie. Games exist to keep them mildly occupied while they do two other things and wait to do the next thing.

Civilization's over. Better just to accept it.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I recall someone making a video about a non-gamer trying video games and him getting shocked when simple stuff was hard to understand, figure out and such, attributing it to gaming having a certain language and mechanics that gamers learn over the years and newcomers have to learn:

And yeah, one can go a bit far, i recall making a friend that is mostly a fan of action or less menu heavy games try Pathfinder Kingmaker...and even the character creation aspect was overwhelming with so many classes, traits, races and stats compared to other games where you just pick a character or you only move some stats around that i could see him having a negative reaction from the get go...probably didn't help he's not into tabletop RPG's either...in retrospect it was a terrible choice.

You know the cure for this is to RTFM or in this case the Pathfinder Source Reference Document, but no the retards are illiterate and too stupid to know how search engines work. Idiocracy is real man.

Alan

Novice
Future citizens will play whatever they want. Many of the good games were not retro when you got to play them anyway

DemonKing

Arcane
My kids bought themselves Donkey Kong classic on their Switch and seem to enjoy playing that.

Also they have BS reflexes compared to me so my oldest is currently destroying Elden Ring while I struggle feebly on.

Saying that, their ability to do their own tech-support is woeful. I always thought they'd be doing tech support for me like I had to do for my parents but I guess growing up having to constantly reconfigure AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS in DOS, make boot disks, install PC upgrades etc left me well prepared to tinker and fiddle to fix problems. They struggle to even get to the turning things off and turning them on again stage before calling me for help.

One of the greatest lies that were perpetrated is that zoomers are technologically proficient on any level (mostly propagated by the ridiculous notion that OMG THEY WERE BORN WITH CELLPHONE ON THEIR HANDS SO CLEVURRRR). That entire generation is completely inept when it comes to anything tech-related that doesn't involve swiping in one of the four cardinal directions.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
One of the greatest lies that were perpetrated is that zoomers are technologically proficient on any level (mostly propagated by the ridiculous notion that OMG THEY WERE BORN WITH CELLPHONE ON THEIR HANDS SO CLEVURRRR). That entire generation is completely inept when it comes to anything tech-related that doesn't involve swiping in one of the four cardinal directions.
This is obvious to ANYONE who has ever interacted with a kid in the last 10 years. I've known hundreds of 14/15-year-olds who didn't know how to turn on and off a computer, didn't understand the difference between your local OS and Google Drive, and couldn't differentiate between a computer and a monitor.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
This is obvious to ANYONE who has ever interacted with a kid in the last 10 years. I've known hundreds of 14/15-year-olds who didn't know how to turn on and off a computer, didn't understand the difference between your local OS and Google Drive, and couldn't differentiate between a computer and a monitor.
TBH more people that don't do intensive stuff on their computer use an ALL IN ONE, the monitor has everything.

Viata

Arcane
To prove your point:
https://www.pcgamer.com/students-dont-know-what-files-and-folders-are-professors-say/
Students don't know what files and folders are, professors say

By Jody Macgregor published September 26, 2021

A whole generation has grown up with powerful search functions, and don't think about computers the same way.

HSqfuuH3oSVKSzq4wQewaD-320-80.jpg

(Image credit: Future)

Audio player loading…
University students in courses from engineering to physics are having to be taught what files and folders are, The Verge reports, because that's not how they've grown up using computers. Whenever they need a file, they just search for it.

"I tend to think an item lives in a particular folder. It lives in one place, and I have to go to that folder to find it," astrophysicist Catherine Garland said. "They see it like one bucket, and everything's in the bucket."

Strange as it may seem to older generations of computer users who grew up maintaining an elaborate collection of nested subfolders, thanks to powerful search functions now being the default in operating systems, as well as the way phones and tablets obfuscate their file structure, and cloud storage, high school graduates don't see their hard drives the same way.

"Students have had these computers in my lab; they’ll have a thousand files on their desktop completely unorganized," Peter Plavchan, an associate professor of physics and astronomy at George Mason University, told The Verge. "I'm kind of an obsessive organizer ... but they have no problem having 1,000 files in the same directory. And I think that is fundamentally because of a shift in how we access files."

"My family always gives me a hard time when they see my computer screen, and it has like 50 thousand icons", said Aubrey Vogel, a journalism major at Texas A&M.

As The Verge points out, "The first internet search engines were used around 1990, but features like Windows Search and Spotlight on macOS are both products of the early 2000s [...] While many of today's professors grew up without search functions on their phones and computers, today's students increasingly don’t remember a world without them."

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, or a reason to recoil in horror because how dare the youth of today do things differently, why the very idea. "When I was a student, I'm sure there was a professor that said, 'Oh my god, I don't understand how this person doesn’t know how to solder a chip on a motherboard,'" Plavachan said. "This kind of generational issue has always been around."

And Garland, the astrophysicist teaching an engineering course, has started using her PC's search function to find files in the same way her students do. "I'm like, huh ... I don’t even need these subfolders," she said.

Of course, over here in PC gaming land we're more likely to need to mess around with our folders. In an attempt to demonstrate how hidden modern directory structures are, The Verge asked, "Your Steam games all live in a folder called 'steamapps'—when was the last time you clicked on that?" For me, it was the day before yesterday when I installed a mod for higher-res NPC models in Pathfinder: Kingmaker. But still, the point is made. The filing cabinet metaphor is pretty dated, and these days I find myself leaving everything I download in the Downloads directory, and searching for Google Docs rather than hunting for whatever Google Drive folder they're in.

Smartphones are easy to use because they hide the OS structure behind it. Every app you install already does a file search to check what files it can load, etc. Smartphone are called smart because they know the users are too dumb to do anything by themselves. The dumber the phone, the smarter the user gets.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just sold all my old consoles and associated games (PS1 era, some Genesis and Dreamcast) to a game store owned by kids for $$$$. They were in awe to be in the presence of such treasured relics. I don't know if they were going to actually play them or just encase them in lucite but either way I was pleasantly surprised.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I just sold all my old consoles and associated games (PS1 era, some Genesis and Dreamcast) to a game store owned by kids for $$$$. They were in awe to be in the presence of such treasured relics. I don't know if they were going to actually play them or just encase them in lucite but either way I was pleasantly surprised.
why

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom