Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Your favorite encounters

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Might and Magic 6 - The skeleton horde in the temple of baa.

Might and Magic 7 - The red dragon on the tutorial island. It is fun test of your skills,killing an end game enemy on first levels.

BG2 - The twisted rune,it was the most fun battle in all of BG games.

BG&IWD games - Any Mind Flayer fight,just love squishing the fucking squid cunts!!!

Arcanum - Final battle....because you could just tell him to off himself :).

Drakensang - The Silver Falls boss battle. I do remember it being really hard and multi stage one. I do remember getting my ass handled for hours :).

Drakensang River of time - Final boss....fuck that was the most fun battle i have had in a rpg and maybe the most harder one.

NWN 2 - Final boss lol,very few games dare to end on everyone dies note lol,laughed my ass off.

Underrail - INVICTUS!!!

ATOM - Tin foil lunatic lol

Dragon Age Origins - The high dragon in front the andraste tomb.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Enemy parties and bounty hunters in BG1. It was always a way of measuring my party against another. Each class in my party against theirs. And there was a roleplaying aspect to it as well.

Never understood why that experience wasn't used in other games.

vazha

Arcane
From later games (because classics are already well-covered here): Most of AoD / DR fights really. Black Monolith from Battle Brothers, esp if you stumble into it blind, get your party wiped and then come back with mighty vengeance. The chapter 1 end fight in D:OS II was well done, unlike to what followed after.

curry

Arcane
Mount & Blade Viking Conquest had quite a few in the story campaign. The first is when you have to defend Doccinga from the viking attack and probably get your ass kicked and it's game over until you figure out a strategy. Then there's the ambush at Ulf's farm and a bit later you have to duel Orm Svart if you want Ulf not to testify against you at the trial. These are quite difficult encounters and it feels rewarding when you're finally successful.

MasPingon

Arcane
Bloodborne - fight with Father Gascoine. That motherfucker is the most rewarding tutorial ever done. Everything is right about this fight - badass character with tragic backstory to confront, music, location design. But most of all - that feeling of helplessness in first encounter. How the hell am I suppose to beat this angel of dead? What you don't know is that he is there to make you a man. Two gamepads later, after beating this badass motherfucker you can call yourself a hunter, not a whinny little pussy you were before. He is like Morpheus showing Neo what he is capable of, only the hard way.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Replaying Baldur's Gate, encountering Tiax and realizing he's basically Lilura with a friendlier personality.
I have a feeling Lilura will end up in an asylum some day too.

Silly Germans

Drakensang River of time - Final boss....fuck that was the most fun battle i have had in a rpg and maybe the most harder one.
Do mean Kaltenstein or the crab boss monster in the Efferd temple ?
I remember the crab being one of the hardest rpg bosses and Drakensang - TRoT doesn't have any obvious cheese tactics.
That one really felt like an achievement for beating it. The campaign boss is not as demanding.

oscar

Arcane
Escaping from the Shark Club in Fallout 2 after boning Mr Bishop's wife (or daughter). You're stuck on the top floor and have to fight through three levels of guards to get out. This was simply impossible for my low level character so I had to shoot up some jet to high tail it out of there. Even with my drug-fuelled speed I barely escaped.

Though of course it gave my character a crippling permanent addiction that I had no clue how to get rid off.

Outmind

Augur
Here's one that stood out to me for different reasons.

There was this city in Betrayal at Krondor (can't remember the details, played it 20 years ago) with an access bridge guarded by a gang. The city was in some sort of gang war at the moment that you could help settle.

Fun thing is, the guys guarding the bridge would hold you up and ask what your affiliation was. There were three to choose from including the glazer's guild for which you had to recover some seals. Choosing anything other than complete impartiality would set the encounter off, and it was a tricky one IIRC.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Escaping from the Shark Club in Fallout 2 after boning Mr Bishop's wife (or daughter). You're stuck on the top floor and have to fight through three levels of guards to get out. This was simply impossible for my low level character so I had to shoot up some jet to high tail it out of there. Even with my drug-fuelled speed I barely escaped.

Though of course it gave my character a crippling permanent addiction that I had no clue how to get rid off.
Similar to that, one of my most memorable encounters/situation was in Fallout 1. The first time I played the game I had no clue what I was doing, and immediately after leaving Vault 13 I decided to blindly wander out into the desert. Through dumb luck I managed to stumble into Mariposa Military Base where I was immediately captured by the mutants. Rather than restarting the game I decided to, at around level 2, escape the military base. It must have taken 30 reloads but I managed to make it out and continued on with my playthrough (was not knowledgeable enough at the time to set the self-destruct).

I still think open world CRPGs should be judged based on how quickly you can reach the end game area. The sooner the player is allowed to bumble their way into the final zone after starting the game the better. Fallout 1 and Morrowind are the reigning champions.

ValeVelKal

Arcane

Similar to that, one of my most memorable encounters/situation was in Fallout 1. The first time I played the game I had no clue what I was doing, and immediately after leaving Vault 13 I decided to blindly wander out into the desert. Through dumb luck I managed to stumble into Mariposa Military Base where I was immediately captured by the mutants. Rather than restarting the game I decided to, at around level 2, escape the military base. It must have taken 30 reloads but I managed to make it out and continued on with my playthrough (was not knowledgeable enough at the time to set the self-destruct).

I still think open world CRPGs should be judged based on how quickly you can reach the end game area. The sooner the player is allowed to bumble their way into the final zone after starting the game the better. Fallout 1 and Morrowind are the reigning champions.
Exactly the same thing happened to me in Fallout I, except that I was captured because I surrender to... what's his name ? Harry ? Anyway, I ended u in the base and I managed to escape.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Bloodborne - fight with Father Gascoine. That motherfucker is the most rewarding tutorial ever done. Everything is right about this fight - badass character with tragic backstory to confront, music, location design. But most of all - that feeling of helplessness in first encounter. How the hell am I suppose to beat this angel of dead? What you don't know is that he is there to make you a man. Two gamepads later, after beating this badass motherfucker you can call yourself a hunter, not a whinny little pussy you were before. He is like Morpheus showing Neo what he is capable of, only the hard way.

Souls bosses are this thread's easy mode. A lot of them are incredibly memorable and deserve a spot on everyone's favorite list: Bell Gargoyles, Quelaag, O&S, Gwyn, Artorias, Gaping Dragon, Sif... and that's only DS1.

But yeah, Gascoigne is a very high point.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Souls bosses are this thread's easy mode. A lot of them are incredibly memorable and deserve a spot on everyone's favorite list: Bell Gargoyles, Quelaag, O&S, Gwyn, Artorias, Gaping Dragon, Sif... and that's only DS1.

lol all of soul and soul like games have the same repetitive bosses and enemy,they are all the same generic shit lol

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

lol all of soul and soul like games have the same repetitive bosses and enemy,they are all the same generic shit lol

Souls bosses are not memorable to me because of the pattern you need to adapt to in order to beat them, but mainly because of their design, presentation and role in the story.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Defending that pile of shit,the soul games,Lilura just lost all credibility in me eyes.

Souls bosses are not memorable to me because of the pattern you need to adapt to in order to beat them, but mainly because of their design, presentation and role in the story.
Ok,fair enough,they do look cool.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

I disagree but if it's your thing, you can complete Isles of Terra in less than 5 minutes.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Diablo 1, The Butcher. "Hah fresh meat!" gives me shivers down my spine well over 20 years later. Bastard can kill even a low level warrior in 3 hits.

Cut from the retail version:

watch

Interesting how Diablo somehow kept it's charm and atmosphere while playing similar games now feels rubbery and disconnected. Guess I have really become a nostalgic grognard.

hell bovine

Arcane
HoMM 3, last scenario of the Dungeons & Devils campaign. Had to restart the map and establish a chain delivery service of dragons to defeat general Kendal. (and yes, I know you don't have to fight him to win the scenario, but the thought of letting him go undefeated... :argh:)

Ascension in BG2. Mel brings back the five, Sarevok decides to join the enemy, Imoen turns into the slayer, so now all of your siblings want to kill you. Family reunion, Bhaalspawn style. :D

DemonKing

Arcane
Was going to say:

99 Berserkers
99 Berserkers
99 Berserkers
99 Berserkers

...but will instead go with that valley full of mummies in Grimrock 2 - a true test of both skill and endurance.

Trashos

Arcane
I see the Twisted Rune mentioned already a few times. I will say that out of the tougher encounters in BG2, it is my least favorite. Is it even doable without cheating summons?

Sharpedge

Prophet
My favorite encounters in most crpgs have already been named (stuff like Firkraag etc) so I will throw in Grigori from Dragon's Dogma as something I don't think has been mentioned. As far as dragon's in 3rd person RPGs go, hes pretty much the only dragon that "feels" like a dragon.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
We go into a huge elaborate throne room with massive stone statues lining the walls on both sides of the room. At the far end is a huge giant, and he attacks. Anyone he hits gets crippled which reduces their movement and strength. Sometimes he will raise his shield and any magic you fire at him will bounce back at you and can easily kill you. It takes ages to get him to half health, and around that point he calls for help from a huge spider which comes down from above and webs a few people in the party and makes them unable to move. You have to hack at the webs to free them, then kill the spider, and then get back to the giant. When he is about 25% health, he shouts for his brother who comes running through a corridor nearby and can completely heal the first giant. So you have to split up and someone hold the second giant so he is out of range to heal the first guy. You could charm one of them and make it fight the other one, but charm didn't last long and each time you use it, it gets weaker, so fighting both of them at once was the only option. When one dies and the other one is almost dead, he shouts some incantation and all the statues lining the walls come to life. They are massive and made out of stone so basically indestructible, and when they hit you, it sends you flying across the room and nearly kills you with 1 hit. Lots of characters died right away, but some manage to fight in the middle of the room and take down the giant. When he dies the spell is lifted and the statues crumble. But when they all fall to the ground, the ground shatters and you fall through into a pit below which is filled with lava. A huge waterfall of lava starts pouring off a ramp which is turning, so you have to run around avoiding it, and then jump out onto a ledge, and a huge fire elemental starts nuking you, and he is immune to fire. The only way to win is to hide behind a wall when he shoots fireballs at you, and then step out and blast him with cold/lightning/poison/etc.

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
Most of AoD / DR fights really.

To me, Dungeon Rats did a great job of making every fight tense because the limit on healing resources made Pyrrhic victories a real thing. Not so much after you've already beat the game. But early on, I remember every individual attack feeling super important even in fights against plants.

My screen name is based on how much I loved the first fight in Ultima V after having Saduj join the party. If I remember right, the bastard doesn't do any actual damage. But at the time, my brothers and I thought an NPC recruit betraying the PC was a hilarious wise ass thing to put in a game and one of the greatest ideas in the history of mankind.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Was going to say:

99 Berserkers
99 Berserkers
99 Berserkers
99 Berserkers
NICE. I levelled up characters for so long there. MIBL ftw.

Obviously, I was a kid. I refuse to play any game with grinding now

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom