Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Your favorite encounters

laclongquan

Arcane
Planescape Torment. After I get that box... OBVIOUSLY we would open that up, right? No risk, no gain. Yeah, turn out that is too much risk. We have to run like a bat out of hell out of that area.

Crichton

Prophet
- The final battle in Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. The rest of the game is pretty easy, with most fights in the midgame being a cakewalk for a well-built party, but the final fight throws everything at you the game can muster. Great ending for one of the most underrated games of the early 90s.

I can still remember all the attempts I made as a teenager to keep those allies from the villages alive... There's even some dialog with the sister of one of them in the northern village afterward, mourning her passing. I've always wondered if the game would react if I could keep here alive through both battles somehow. Hmm, you know, maybe with a dust storm to keep from getting fireballed and 4x mass dominate, I could flip enough of those green hooded bastards to give the ravagers other targets...

Modron

Arcane
Surprised no one has mentioned that base defense mission against lots of troops and PKs in Silent Storm Sentinels (or was it just regular Silent Storm?), Thermopylae type hold the line scenarios against overabundant foes are always fun.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Ultima 7: Part Two The Serpent Isle - meeting Frigidazzi alone at night?

Slightly more seriously (but not a combat example), first meeting The Guardian in the Ultima 7: The Black Gate intro?

Agree with the comments on the Souls Bosses (Smaug and Ornstein and Pontiff Sulyvahn stand out for mine) but also just the first time you meet the first Black Knight in Dark Souls was memorable.

From a JRPG perspective the encounter with Loa Erebonia in Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 1, followed by
as the last battle at which the game's plot starts to go a bit crazy...

jackofshadows

Magister
Fallout 2 - Horrigan. I'm aware that there're legit ways to cheese the entire fight while with proper build and gear he dies within one turn. But it's a such a good RPG boss encounter which can be very tough for some characters. I remember in one of my first playthroughs I went with sneaky guy and it was all fine until the very end with the boss where I've realized that I cannot sneak past him (still wonder is it possible, maybe my skill wasn't high enough, haven't played sneaky char since then) so I had to improvise, and eventually I stick dinamite up the president's arse, went into another area and back, grab the ID and load few times before turrets did manage to kill Horrigan. That was a memorable relief.

AoD - most of them, I just love its combat system but if I had to pick one it would be mine assault near Teron in the older patches with proper tower and I think more enemies than I saw last time.

Wizardry 8 - the whole Rapax castle. It was so cool to clear it for the first time, to make the most use of Pandemonium and watching the massacre while slaughter closest guys.

WoW - Gul'dan. I haven't play much this game so it was my first actual last boss mythic (top difficulty, anyway) experience and oh boy, it was fucking epic. Still love watching this from time to time

laclongquan

Arcane
Surprised no one has mentioned that base defense mission against lots of troops and PKs in Silent Storm Sentinels (or was it just regular Silent Storm?), Thermopylae type hold the line scenarios against overabundant foes are always fun.

it was too much of a planned map to be consider an encounter. Though I agree it's the best in the game.

kangaxx

Arbiter
I see the Twisted Rune mentioned already a few times. I will say that out of the tougher encounters in BG2, it is my least favorite. Is it even doable without cheating summons?

It's much easier with the reflecting cloak and shield on two front line party members. Basically removes that sodding beholder from the fight.

E: of course that is also quite cheesy.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom