Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your mouse/keyboard combination

Morkar Left

Cheap keyboard from hama (I think around 12 €) and Microsoft Sidewinder X8 mouse. I like the cheap keyboard more than the one from Microsoft at work. It's small, flat and handy. The mouse could be a bit better with the plastics quality but I really like that I can easily reload the batteries by just plugging the cable in and use it as a conventional mouse.

SMWX8_AFront_FY08.jpg

Lightknight

Liturgist
A Wacom tablet will teach you to only remember using the mouse in FPS's. Otherwise - better than any mouse, now and in the future. Much easier on the wrist as well, to ward off the ever looming shadow of CTS.
So...yeah, havent used the mouse for two years now.

Gregz

Arcane
commie said:
What is funny is seeing how so many connoisseurs of the finer RPG experience have a need for the ultimate in twitch popamole super responsive mouse aids...I wouldn't have thought Might and Magic needed an extra 0.005ms response time.

False logic.

Enjoying RPGs doesn't exclude enjoying shooters.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
On the topic, does anyone know of a good, large mouse for left-handed people? My logitech is nearing the end of its lifespan. As I wrote earlier, many regular-sized mice are so small they make my hand cramp up after an hour of usage or so. I've no paticular preference in respects to wireless or not. I'd prefer an optical mouse over a mouse with a ball. Trackball (lulz) are right out.

I'm not willing to pay an arm and a leg for it either. The twitchiest game I play is League of Legends.

Xi

Arcane
14449.png

I was considering this setup for the Bluetooth capability. I like the 30 foot range that it offers, and have always struggled with other wireless setups. (Want to go the HT-PC route in the future, and without relocating my computer - 50-100 HDMI for a connection, and 30ish foot range on K/M) Anyway, was wondering if anyone might suggest a different Bluetooth K/M combo?

I think I found the above on overstock for 90 ish dollars. (Which is actually pretty good - regularly 160)

http://www.logitech.com/keyboards/keybo ... vices/3481

Raapys

Arcane
I've loved Razer ever since I got my first Boomslang countless years ago. Didn't even have infrared/optics. After that I got one that looks like the Lachesis, and now I'm on a Deathadder3500. Took some getting used to the grip on this one, it's rather large and I've always preferred those you can actually lift easily( no grip with little finger here), but it's fine now. Still, considering getting the new Lachesis, both for what I assume will be a better grip and the 5600DPI.

lefthandblack

Arcane
My keyboard is a Zboard(now Steel Series) MERC. I bitched about it at first because while it's great for gaming, doing any actual work on it kinda sucks as they doubled up the number pad keys and pgup, pgdown, delete, etc. requiring you to have to press the number lock key every time that you want to access any of those functions. I've since gotten used to it. It comes in handy for the shitty console ports we get nowadays, many of which won't let you re-map keys.

My mouse is a Logitech G9x, it's the best mouse that I've ever owned (now that I've written that the fucking thing will probably die tomorrow) I've had fancy Microsoft sidewinder mice and several Razer products all of which died or had button problems after a little over a year. I had a Razer copperhead that I RMA'd three times before I just threw it away and swore to never buy from them again.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Ulminati said:
My logitech is nearing the end of its lifespan.
Sorry, I can't believe it. Mouse dies only when its ICs fried or housing sustained too massive damage. Mice are VERY easily repaired.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
I got a Leopold with Cherry Brown switches recently and it's fucking spectacular. Shit, I was watching a movie today (Space Battleship Yamoto, for what it's worth) and I'd periodically pause and unpause it just so I had an excuse to push buttons. Just delightful.

My mouse is a Logitech something or other. It was $12 and works OK, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a Mionix Naos 3200, since apparently the Mionix mice are exceptionally comfortable to use. Bruticis, would you care to share your thoughts on your 5000?

Razer Lycosa keyboard, wouldn't recommend it as I don't see the use of any of it's gaming functions, though the ports it has are nice.

Razer copperhead mouse, wouldn't recommend it either since it's so awkwardly designed.

Tel Velothi

Cipher
Ladies and gentlemen - my hardcore keyboard/mouse combination:

BTC5199-SP-KYB.jpg

Bought it for ~4$ 6-7 years ago (maybe more). It's dirty as Skyrim NPC faces and some of keys are deformed (especially "A" and "W" key - my fingers are stronger than plastic it seems). Works perfectly - very comfortable to write/play.

optical-mouse1599.png

Bought it for ~10$ 4-5 years ago. Works perfectly well.

Enjoy your faggy GAMINGZZZ PRO keyboards for 300$. :smug:
Gaming mouses are fine, because they actually offer something (higher DPI), instead of just making you feel pr0 and all...

GeneralSamov

Prophet
35akvah.jpg

Cherry keyboard from the paleolithic (I might at some point replace its upper piece with the buttons with one that's not kraut)
Cheapo Labtec laser mouse (good for what it is) - once upon a time I had an mx518, but it decided to go belly up :godimsomadtheyremovedthissmiley:
And a motherfucking big tower case side panel as mouse pad (only half of it visible) - as barbaric and :/ as it may seem, it's actually pretty good, very smooth and virtually endless (and also gratis)

gromit

Arcane
There's some awfully flamboyant equipment in this thread - explains some of the less articulate platform warfare I've read here ;)

I use an ancient 5-button Intellimouse and a Model M when I can. Otherwise, a surprisingly responsive and "thoughtfully gimmicked" touchpad which sits above a less-than-ideal, but fullsize w/ numpad, keyboard.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I use the actual mouse of kings, the Cyborg R.A.T 7 :salute:

7001-1-1.jpeg

Pretty much the only mouse out there that's actually ergonomical (because it can change to fit various hand sizes and grips). Plus it looks like it was built (REALLY solidly) from left over TIE fighter parts which is p. sweet.

Keyboard is the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate. Best Keyboard I ever had, I'm definitely a mechanicalfag from now on. Makes zero difference for gaming but typing on this thing is amazing, I love the satisfying clickety-click of the Cherry MX blue switches. Also it's very heavy so in an emergency it can serve as an upside-the-head-smacking device.

IMG_5738.jpg

I used to have the MS Sidewinder X6, which is still the best non-mechanical keyboard out there (I miss the volume knob), but now, trying to type with it just feels weird and rubbery. I replaced it because the numpad just stopped working one day.

Bruticis

The optical engine in the RAT used to be so fucked up, it made me RAGE and send it back. I loved the sniper button though, wish more mice did that. Have they resolved the issue with the mouse cursor tracking in random directions and not resetting until you unplug it?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Logitech MX518 is the best mouse I've ever owned.

Using a generic $5 microsoft keyboard right now because my previous backlit one broke. It's actually pretty good for a generic $5 keyboard, though. I want to get another gaming keyboard, but this one is good enough that I haven't felt the need to upgrade.

Tel Velothi said:
Enjoy your faggy GAMINGZZZ PRO keyboards for 300$. :smug:
Gaming mouses are fine, because they actually offer something (higher DPI), instead of just making you feel pr0 and all...

Higher DPI is still useless because we have this thing called a mouse sensitivity setting which does the exact same thing.

Repressed Homosexual
Xor said:
The Logitech MX518 is the best mouse I've ever owned.

Using a generic $5 microsoft keyboard right now because my previous backlit one broke. It's actually pretty good for a generic $5 keyboard, though. I want to get another gaming keyboard, but this one is good enough that I haven't felt the need to upgrade.

I liked my MX518 until it started crapping out on me, and left click wouldn't register from time to time.

I thought that as well, but ultimately found out that the Mamba/Deathadder was far more comfortable and precise. MX518 doesn't allow you to aim precisely, there's some sort of problem with it. I read about it.

gromit

Arcane
The man who wasn't there said:
20 year old IBM Model M keyboard I pulled from the garbage bin :love:
Seriously! I wonder how large a fortune could have been accrued if all of the give-away / throw-away Model Ms were sold. As they say, "one man's garbage..."

Overweight Manatee said:
Higher DPI is still useless because we have this thing called a mouse sensitivity setting which does the exact same thing.
No, no you don't (and I say this without having a gamer-chic mouse to defend.)

Mouse "sensitivity" changes how much the mouse reacts to each inch of movement, if you will. An increase in the actual DPI, or sampling rate, of the device lets you take the same user-adjustable "desk to screen" travel ratio and break it into smaller increments.

Take a lower DPI mouse, and turn down your sensitivity to make minor adjustments easier - you now have to cross more physical space to make the cursor react the same amount, but you gain back the precision lost by otherwise assigning too much screen space to too few dots in a smaller mousing area. Crank the sensitivity up, and you can now cross the entire screen (or "do a 180" seems more relevant) in the physical space of an inch, but finer movements are lost. In the extreme - as in, "higher sensitivity than anyone would let a user set" - you'd be skipping pixels per each dot, much like how you skip dots for each pixel at a low sensitivity.

Both have their trade-offs, and are a matter of comfort and preference - hence it being a slider since the dawn of man, and "gaming mouse" manufacturers tacking dials on their mice to adjust it on-the-fly. A high DPI neatly (but not cheaply) side-steps the entire issue by sampling - I swear I'm not trying to be condescending - by sampling more dots per inch. Your, say, 1680x1050 pixels of screen-space (and the sub-pixels between them in vectored or trigonometric applications) can now all have direct mechanical representation in a smaller space.

In another extremized example (but surprisingly a real-world one!) Razor sells a 2000dpi mouse. Theoretically this means I could turn off the OS mouse acceleration, still be able to cross the entire screen in under an inch, AND accurately point to any pixel I wanted within that space. (That's presuming my motor skills were up to that lofty goal, which I doubt anyone's are - 2000 DPI is probably a bit much, but "PC gaming markets gonna PC gaming market.")

Thinking you'll get the same results (regardless of if you find them necessary in effect or not) from a "sensitivity adjustment" on equipment that is, by definition, sensing less reminds me of the non-scandal in the digital camera market. Imagine the consumers' surprise when they learned that stretching the same number of actual optical sensors across more pixels didn't result in a higher-quality image!

Long story short: if the information just plain isn't there, making each piece of it count less is a far cry from having the full story.

Sorry, no. Unless you have your mouse accuracy set at more than 2x (which you don't, unless you use some ridiculous multimonitor setup), the most your pixel accuracy can be off by is +/- 1 pixel, which is statistically insignificant to an absurd degree (see how hard it is to hit an individual pixel with your mouse, then keep in mind that you have 100 milliseconds to do that in a gaming scenario). It simply doesn't matter for gaming, the only usage is for artistry where drawing smooth shapes is important.

There was a very, very small usefulness of "high DPI" mice a decade ago. The difference back then was that "high DPI" meant 500 DPI instead of 100-200 DPI, and resolutions were 640x480 instead of 2000x1000 or w/e.

I have won real life prizes in semi-large FPS tournaments, I can assure you that modern day "gaming mice" have absolutely nothing to do with how good you are outside of well they fit your hand and how much you like the button design/placement.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Zarniwoop said:
I use the actual mouse of kings, the Cyborg R.A.T 7 :salute:

7001-1-1.jpeg

Many years ago, when I needed a joystick to play XWing alliance, Cyborg were the only company that made a joystick with more than 3 buttons (the Cyborg 3D) that could be adjusted to work well for both left-handed and right-handed people. Sad to see they've ditched that policy. I'd buy that mouse in an instant if it came in a left-handed version.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Overweight Manatee said:
something along the lines that DPI is useless

I agree, DPI is basically just a gimmick, but it can come in handy if you don't sacrifice a button on your keyboard just for sensitivity toggling (if needed).
What's more useful in a mouse, though, is the ability to stomach a boost in the USB polling frequency without the mouse ceasing to respond. 125 Hz is good enough up to some point, but being able to boost that to 250, 500 or even 1000 is a quite welcome feature.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom