Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Your mouse/keyboard combination

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Humanity has risen!, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    I got the steelseries sensei for christmas as well. It's quite good. I'm loving the per-application macros (although the delay when the mouse switches profiles can get a little tiresome with a lot of alt-tabbing). Feels good in the hand and is symmetrical, so it's one of the few mice suitable for us left-handed folk.

^ Top  
  2. AlaCarcuss Arbiter

AlaCarcuss
    ^ Top  
  3. Kitako Arcane

Kitako
    Didn't know my mouse was so popular (Logitech MX 518). I have that too, and it's my most durable piece of hardware.

I switch 5€ keyboards every couple of months, eating and smoking at pc isn't healthy for keyboards.

^ Top  
  4. ChristofferC Magister

ChristofferC
    I don't get it. You have to look directly at your keyboard to know where it is?

^ Top  
  5. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    MX518 is a good mouse, however there is an aiming problem, when you swipe the mouse on the pad in a straight diagonal fashion you will not get a straight line.

Mine didn't last though, the right click button always got stuck.

But I suppose that it will be the case with just about any mouse

^ Top  
  6. Excommunicator Arcane

Excommunicator
    @Christoffer

Yes, actually. My keyboard moves around, but that isn't the point.

Here's an exercise for you Christoffer. Swivel your chair away from your monitor with your hands down by your side, now look back directly at your monitor and press Ctrl+Alt+R without looking at the keyboard. You either missed the right keys or you hesitated to make sure you were on the right keys.

Now try the same thing in a dark room with monitor glare and feel free to look down at the keyboard when you press the key combo to help find it. Feel the eye strain looking back and forth?

Would you enjoy doing that all day? Maybe you don't realise the micro-glances you perform when you move your hands to and away from the keyboard even when touch typing. Or maybe you work more slowly than other people so don't notice the effect.

^ Top  
  7. Humppaleka Arbiter

Humppaleka
    To necro a gearwhore thread... :rpgcodex:

Does anyone here use macros on their keyboards/mice? I've tried and tried to think up macros but just can't wrap my head around them but I rarely think of the combinations I do. If you do use, what do you use?
    Just upgraded my mouse too, bought a CM Storm Inferno... So many buttons so cheap... Feels much better than that shitty plastic Lachesis I used for a year and a half. And I like the added weight on the mouse compared to Lachesis. And the customization is huge, very accurate DPI/sensitivity settings and macros + scripts (I don't even know what the fuck they are).

^ Top  
  8. lefthandblack Arcane

lefthandblack
    I don't use them very often but there have been instances where they have come in handy. Most recently I used them to get through several of the annoying twitch puzzles in Legend of Grimrock.

^ Top  
  9. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    I'm going to take this opportunity to reiterate the following:

FVAS is superior to WSAD, and game shops that hardmap WSAD should be boycotted.

^ Top  
  10. zeitgeist Magister

zeitgeist
    [​IMG]

WASD with Cherry Browns and a G700.

^ Top  
  11. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    I own a G700 too, but most of the time 3 of the side buttons don't work. Did you experience something like this? I'm inclined to believe it's software related since quite a few people have this problem.

^ Top  
  12. zeitgeist Magister

zeitgeist
    You mean 3 of the 4 thumb buttons (G4-G7), or the three buttons on the side of the left button (G8-G10)? The only issue I've ever encountered is some games not recognizing buttons above their hardcoded number of mouse buttons and having to remap them to keystrokes instead.

^ Top  
  13. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    I have the same keyboard as Muty, the steelseries 6GV2. Mechanical keyboards are great. Very good for gaming and I really like just typing away on them as well. Clickityclickyclick.
    My mouse is probably one of the most common ones: Logitech MX 518. No need for extra mumbojumbo. It has a scrollwheel and has a very good size and shape.
    Using a Sennheiser HD 595 headset (at night, mostly). Excellent for everything, great sound and comfort (even for long sittings).

Overall pretty common but highly regarded peripherals.

^ Top  
  14. Marsal Arcane

Marsal
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  15. Humppaleka Arbiter

Humppaleka
    Steelseries 6Gv2 here too, awesome indeed. The mouse (Inferno) seems to really fit in my hand, thought I was a fingergrip person until this, as I really detest MX518.
    I'll propably invest in good headphones (totally unrelated to thread but fuck you, I like sound), Grados or Ultrasone propably.
    And could someone elaborate what the hell is FVAS? :retarded:

^ Top  
  16. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    Bullshit! QAOP are the correct keys for playing Micro Machines 2

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. CorpseZeb Learned

CorpseZeb
    ... wow... you guys must have really big hands for the fvas or qaop one-hand operation...

^ Top  
  18. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    Marsal

Mock if you must, but the index finger is the most dextrous finger in the hand, making FVAS far more responsive than WASD. FVAS FTW.

^ Top  
  19. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Yeah, the thumb buttons, specifically G5 and G6, they just don't work. The times I do get them to work (through a lot of unorganized fiddling, ie, connecting/disconnecting the cable, removing batteries, reinstalling setpoint, etc, etc) they don't last long. Soon they're back to their inoperative state. This sucks.

^ Top  
  20. sea inXile Entertainment Developer

sea
    Macros are really only useful for MMOs and in some cases strategy games, outside of a few very specific circumstances. As MMOs are the only games really designed with macro-based play in mind in the first place, you shouldn't need them anywhere else. I have five macro keys on my keyboard and never use them because the games I play never, ever require them.

You do have the newest drivers installed, right? Maybe reinstall them? Otherwise, probably needs an RMA.

Look into Shure or Denon - in my opinion they have much better headphones in the $150-250 USD price range, much flatter and more neutral than the likes of Grado to boot (which sound good but are very heavily biased).

^ Top  
  21. Marsal Arcane

Marsal
    I will, and mercilessly so :smug:

I never heard of a more absurd setup. Would you take a picture of your hand in "gaming" position? Is it: index finger over F and V, 3rd and 4th finger over A and S? Why skip D and C in favor of F and V? Wouldn't D + X or F + C fit more naturally? Explain it to me, so I can understand the magnitude of your madness.

^ Top  
  22. Humppaleka Arbiter

Humppaleka
    Hmm Shure and Denon sure are good headphone brands but they are insanely overpriced for what they deliver, like the Apple of audio. I have a few options beside them and I like a lot of diversity in sound, Grados would be very portable and Ultrasone would be pretty neutral. Leaning towards Alessandro headphones also. Thanks for the tip though, haven't decided anything yet.
    /offtopic

^ Top  
  23. Marsal Arcane

Marsal
    Bro, nothing is offtopic on the Codex.

^ Top  
  24. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    ESDF is superior to WASD so long as you don't have small woman hands. Greatly expands the # of available keys for the pinky finger. Also pretty easy to switch back and forth whenever you come across crappy games that don't let you remap (so long as you aren't required to reposition your hand, which doesn't happen for FPS).

ASFV? I'm assuming Pinky on A, Ring on S, Index on FV? You don't need Dex to press a key fast or to hold it down, you need Dex to reach far keys. While running forward with your index finger on F you then only have your middle finger available for alternate key presses, which leaves open only E/D/C/R/X as usable controls. There is no second finger available to move forward/backward that would leave the index finger available to utilize its dexterity.

The advantage of WASD or similar schemes is that you can smoothly press 10-20 keys easily without affecting movement. All 4 directions and all 8 directional combinations can be easily done with multiple sets of fingers, leaving the entire side of the keyboard free for mapping of controls. If I need to hit Y/J/N with ESDF, I can quickly switch ring finger to E and middle finger to D, then reach half way across the keyboard. If I need to hit C, I can either use index + middle or ring + middle to hold down whatever key I need while the other key gets C.

I thought anyone who knew how to keyboard could do this? CTRL/ALT/SHIFT combinations should be completely ingrained in the memory of anyone who uses shortcuts for things.

^ Top  
  25. sea inXile Entertainment Developer

sea
    Denon and Shure are overpriced while Grado isn't?

I mean yeah, maybe there are smaller, lesser-known brands out there that are just as good - I'm not into the "headphone scene" as much - but when I think overpriced headphones, I think Grado, Bose, maybe Sennheiser, etc.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.