Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your mouse/keyboard combination

Marsal

Arcane
Marsal

Mock if you must, but the index finger is the most dextrous finger in the hand, making FVAS far more responsive than WASD. FVAS FTW.
I will, and mercilessly so :smug:

I never heard of a more absurd setup. Would you take a picture of your hand in "gaming" position? Is it: index finger over F and V, 3rd and 4th finger over A and S? Why skip D and C in favor of F and V? Wouldn't D + X or F + C fit more naturally? Explain it to me, so I can understand the magnitude of your madness.

Yes, you understand it correctly. It's perfectly natural as the position uses the 'homekeys' reserving 'forward and back' for the strongest, fastest, most dextrous finger...the index finger.
Answer the second part, plz! Why F+V, not F+C?

Gregz

Arcane

Try it with your hand and see how F+C feels, it should answer your question. The hands tend to point 'inward', making the motion from F->V a natural sweep. F->C with index finger requires almost bumping into the middle finger and feels awkward (slow).

Marsal

Arcane

Try it with your hand and see how F+C feels, it should answer your question. The hands tend to point 'inward', making the motion from F->V a natural sweep. F->C with index finger requires almost bumping into the middle finger and feels awkward (slow).
I did try it before, that's why I'm asking. When I place my left hand on the keyboard, my index finger is pointing "northeast" (direction C->F), not northwest (direction V->F). If I were to use your scheme, I would most certainly use C+F (or D+X). Are you sure you have human hands?

Still don't get how you can move around without limiting yourself to just a handful of commands available. Weapon Switching must be a huge pain.

a-4,s-3,f/v-2 does seem a bit awkward for me as Marsal says. Not impossible, but requires a fairly unusual hand orientation that is going to cause fatigue. It also restricts even more useful keys from easy access. You sure you aren't using the pinky for A and the ring finger for S?

On a side note since we are on the subject, and I know this sounds crazy to most people, but try unbinding mouse1 in FPSs. Use the keyboard to shoot. This reduces the interference between the two functions, and gives a noticeable increase in accuracy of aim and accuracy of bursting the exact number of shots you want.

potatojohn

Arcane
A beefy HP office keyboard and some cheap laser mouse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom