Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

pixel art is:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aemar

Arcane
It can be really great if skillfully done - HoMM2 for example. Otherwise it's an indicative of the quality of the game, usually crap.

Reality

Learned
Pixel art I like more often than not... There is a slight hit or miss factor - if it was done in era there is lots of good stuff, but if done post 2015 it can be good or bad , with things like matching terrain palettes and especially cheaper facial design being the most common red flags in my experience.

It fares a LOT better than chiptune though... a lot of games with chiptune music due to technical limitations ARE actually really catchy (because of bored british peoplle or aliens who could make the technical limitations go away) .... meanwhile I think I hate EVERY single chiptune nostalgia thing post 2015~ I've EVER heard.

ADL

Prophet
In a vacuum it's okay but in the year of our lord 2021 where there's thousands of indie pixel platformers that look identical, no thanks.

Don't think I'll ever get bored of the PSX style in the same way.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It depends. It can be done well, or it can be done shitty.

Done well:

ss_c6b6210bb3330a3f72253e0e870708f540973e2f.1920x1080.jpg

ss_413915a39077122b31befe51df0567e71366c1bd.1920x1080.jpg

Done wrong:
ss_20adb5502caa1cce634353db54917424e763f69f.1920x1080.jpg

ss_4f9aff26964c2bb5ea4c56fcb8def2f1db7256c9.1920x1080.jpg

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Modern Pixel Art is shit because it's done by young hipsters that weren't alive when it needed to done that way. These kids are harking back to a nostalgia that they weren't alive for. It's one thing to have started with text and ASCI art then the original pixel art to get to where we are today. Once we hit 3d art there's really no looking back.

Combine this with the severe dumbing down of the games and terrible writing it doesn't stand up to the best of the classics like Leisure Suit Larry etc...

The other major problem with Pixel Art is that it looks stupid on modern displays. It only works properly on the old CRTs due to the low resolutions of the tube.

Falksi

Arcane
It's fucking brilliant, and an art form in itself.

Yeah like most things it can be good or bad, but great pixel art is a thing of beauty, and to me looks FAR better than a lot of the shit which has come after it.

Last edited:

downwardspiral

Learned
If it reduces the development time and make the developer focus more on the game system then good.
If it is the main focus of a game and once you remove that art style the game became mediocre then it is not good.

Viata

Arcane
Last time I saw a pixel art game I liked was when I was replaying games on Mega Driver. Not saying MD was the last one, but I hardly remember the last modern game that had a good pixel art.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Last time I saw a pixel art game I liked was when I was replaying games on Mega Driver. Not saying MD was the last one, but I hardly remember the last modern game that had a good pixel art.

Maybe you're not playing lots of modern pixel art games then

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Done wrong:
ss_20adb5502caa1cce634353db54917424e763f69f.1920x1080.jpg

ss_4f9aff26964c2bb5ea4c56fcb8def2f1db7256c9.1920x1080.jpg

I don't remember games looking that shitty at the time when "pixel art" was the only option out there.

But hey, I bet these "retro" lego bricks have dynamic shader lighting. Heck, maybe physics too! How about some ASCII graphics in 3D while we're there?

Yes, there's a trend for indie pixel games to have way, way, way chunkier pixels than anything we've had on PC even in the late 80s.
Maybe early Ultimas were that chunky... but early Ultimas didn't have 256 colors.

Hipster pixel art mixes big color palettes with huge chunky pixels of the C64 era, which clashes terribly and doesn't look like anything we actually got back in the day.

Pixel art then:

1-Ta2YHFx.jpg

81m6CJEpzpL.png

monkeyisland2_remake_205894.png

maxresdefault.jpg

jazz_c78e3b45-12e1-4744-8d69-afea96bc10f9.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

ss_097ca06ed204b8169da10e107326164d476d9a65.1920x1080.jpg

MM45_Gameplay.png

prince-of-persia-03-big.png

None of them looked as crude and blocky as the modern indie style. Even early games with limited palettes tried to create detail wherever possible, like you can see in the Prince of Persia shot.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Pixel art is consistently more pretty than 3D, while having a fraction of the cost. Bad art direction stays bad art direction, but at least the game didn't blow millions on bad art in an ugly pixel game.

Riskbreaker

What's your opinion on threads?

Like seriously, what sort of question is that? Are you asking about teh Universal Form of pixel art in which all the pixel art that ever was or will be participates and is hence judged by how well it embodies the said Form? Is the question about said Form?

So what kind of question is that then? It's meaningless in itself. Communicative function of language, fucking look into it will ya.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Pixel art is consistently more pretty than 3D, while having a fraction of the cost. Bad art direction stays bad art direction, but at least the game didn't blow millions on bad art in an ugly pixel game.

Where does this idea come from that pixel art/2D is so much cheaper than 3D?

3D is much cheaper to animate than 2D actually, and much cheaper and easier to create variations of similar models.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom