Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your opinion on some missing mechanic (class and stats) in cyberpunk 2077

odrzut

Arcane
Empathy will be toxicity from the Witcher.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
I dont want to kill your hype guys, but there are some major issue in role playing aspect other than voiced protagonist.
As the title said, apprantly cyberpunk 2077 will have less stats than what we get in CP2020 PnP RPG. There will be no Attractiveness, Body type, Movement Allowance, Luck, and hell even no Empathy stat! You know why especially the last stat is important, its basically deal with the core issue of the setting that is cyberpsychosis. It also deal with persuasive based skill, in essence its a version of charisma stat.

Move to the class, apparantly you could only play or gain three skill from each class (solo, netrunner, techie). Again i dont understand if we get a RPG with total customization of character and background yet why they scrap the other class. Especially with voiced protagonist, i have suspicion that character customization and roleplaying in this game will not be that open.
what hype?

ZeniBot

Cipher

typical user

Arbiter
In Vampire the Masquarade: Bloodlines we couldn't play as Sabbath or neutral or even betray Camarilla until the very end. I don't see how you could make a game with ability to play as Corporate, Media, Netrunner and combat oriented classes and not have it as text-based choose your advanture kind game.

There are main stats that were shuffled around because we all know how no-brainer Speech was in Fallout or any other game that allowed manipulation. The Solo/Techie/Netrunner class system is made so players can define how they can approach combat situations. I expect the game to be like Witcher 3 - skills that affect combat, quests being independent. I can agree to some point that locking someone out of certain quest path because he doesn't have enough charisma is artificial but on the other there should be some form of skill checks and balance between skills that are in the game.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'm surprised there are even stats. Thought it would be just skills and augs.

Even with a good selection of those, you already can create outstanding amount of choices in story and gameplay, if you make everything matter.

deama

Prophet
I think I overhyped myself for this, I was expecting something like bloodlines but bigger and more polished.
Then the trailer hit and I was like "ohhhhhhhhhh...."

I'm not sure I'll even enjoy this since I didn't like anything about witcher 3.

Abhay

Augur
I still think that a lot of these issues (or missing things) could very well be released as a separate DLC

Zer0wing

Cipher
The thing with Cyberpunk is mechanics that it's no rocket science, both implementing all the stats plus skills that matter and making a modern akshun game around them. Not for CDPR, after all they're going after Lifepath even though even VtM:Bloodlines didn't have anything similar except for predefined backstories.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The people expecting the not so normal classes are moron.

The experience of playing cop vs mercenaries are possibly diametrically opposed that for each quest you would need at least need 2 version and probably dozens of quest exclusives to one or the other classes.

The purely non-combatant class like rocker would requires wholly different quests as well.

You either get something that have limited scope like this, one where class selection doesnt matter, or one like you want (all stats and classes are in ) but each playthrough is 3 hours long. The only exception to this was AoD, even then AoD did it with another level of restriction as well (simple graphic engine, the infamous teleporting which makes a lot of the scenes easier to implement).

Regarding emphathy and social checks it is indded a shame. The game probably wont wont restrict dialogue choices based on stats as dialogue would probably be used as narrative tools ala TW3.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
CDProjekt has been deleting posts that call Mike Pondsmith out for lying, they're trying to cover it up. He lied about the classes we were getting in the game.

People were just selectively reading and interpreting things so they fit their preconceptions. It also qualifies as old news, I guess?

https://wccftech.com/cyberpunk-2077-journalist-mike-pondsmith/

His tabletop features unconventional classes like journalist, rockstar, executive, and others. The interviewer asked whether those will actually be in Cyberpunk 2077 and Mike Pondsmith replied positively.

Yes, you can. They’re all going to be there, but I can tell you’re going to find some surprises about how we’ve done it and I think you’re really going to like it. There’s a lot of subtlety going on there. Adam (Kiciński, CD Projekt RED’s President and co-CEO) and I spent literally like a whole week messing with the ways of implementing that, so you get the most feel for your character.

ZeniBot

Cipher
"they're all going to be there" then proceeds to talk about the player character in the same context. We know they were working on it and it was dropped. I'm more glad though we found out about this misconception prior to release, so I'm glad. But it would've been better for CDProjekt to have just said "we're not talking about this yet". Its nearly always better to have said nothing at all and instead surprise everyone once you know for certain. My initial warning was more to point out that CDProjekts moderators are pricks.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Since i play to the pen and paper version i can see why they took this decision... Some classes are less active then others and usually operates only in specific ambients..(Corporate). Since they want to make Nigh City the true star of the game they did focus in the roles that could potentially get the best from all locations.

Is normal you can't play all the classes from the pen and paper expecting different is just not being relistic.

Some classes are more "Movers" than the other and less directly involved in events.

And i truly believe who expect this game to be an open deus ex despite being in FPP will most likely be disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
And i truly believe who expect this game to be an open deus ex despite being in FPP will most likely be disappointed.

I've read half a dozen summaries of the behind-closed-doors E3 demo and it certainly, absolutely sounds like an open world Deus Ex game. Now, will it actually end up BEING that when it comes out in 2-3 years or whatever? Who the fuck knows.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

It would be prefectly fine for me :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

For example netrunning needs implants.. Also there are implants that allows you to see litterally if someone is lying or not.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Deus Ex also doesnt have speech checks. I would like to have them but they are not absolutely necessary to make a good rpg.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom