Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your test site sucks

Do you zoom in when reading the Codex?

• Yes, I usually or regularly zoom in (increasing the font size) in order to read the Codex.

Votes: 82 27.0%
  • On the odd occasion, I have had to zoom in. Maybe on a particular device.

Votes: 36 11.8%
  • No. Never.

Votes: 148 48.7%
  • Bitch, I zoom out.

Votes: 21 6.9%
  • Oh Comrade of Kings, lament not our sins.

Votes: 17 5.6%

• Total voters

GhostCow

Big Mara Energy
Patron
Should ratings on the thread list be disabled? I think it's distracting.

Yes, this looks like shit. Please nuke it.

Colors are totally arbitrary. I first picked Codex colors but then adjusted them to better fit the general layout. Feel free to complain about the worst colored elements.
Colors look ok to me. Any chance that once the theme is finished you could clone it with dark mode colors so we can have two options?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Sawyerite
zs4RsXA.png
Reminder IRC still exists and doesn't strive to be a shitty Discord clone: #rpg-codex on irc.rizon.net (a few of us are in there).

The nubox has already been improved, though the full chat could be taller.

shywn

Savant
It was never the styling part that couldn't be fixed. It's the changes in functionality that bothers me. But it seems I'm the only one who brought that up; everybody else just looked at the site and went "nope" -- never even tried to use it.

By the way, speaking of wasted space:

2MaXg1h.png

Grimlorn

Arcane
Twiglard
cdx1.jpg

cdx2.jpg

First is at 150% where the edge fits perfectly.
Second is at 100%. But the Search box should just be in line with the rest of the forum.

ropulos

Retired gamer
Patron
Screenshot from 2022-05-29 19-23-28.png

Good job discriminating against those with prestigious resolutions.

Also I don't like the extra step of having to hover the cursor over the brofist icon to get the full list of buttons. If the end game is making users use the buttons less, good job. Let's not mention the useless animation as well.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Should ratings on the thread list be disabled? I think it's distracting.
Probably
Colors are totally arbitrary. I first picked Codex colors but then adjusted them to better fit the general layout. Feel free to complain about the worst colored elements.
I personally like the dark blues.
Should the user info box (username, avatar, location etc.) be made larger to fit longer location fields? It was originally 120px but I made it 150px.
Probably not. Let people with too large a location suffer.
Is the report button better-positioned now?
It's ok, I never really use it.
Quoted message colors for the caption (User said) and the message body could probably be improved.
Maybe the orange color for user name is bad, but it is easier to read when it's already in quoted form when making a post. I can't think of a better color than orange that would show up on dark blue though besides white.

Jenkem

お前はもう死んでいる
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! [Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.] I helped put crap in Monomyth
the nu-shoutbox is fucking disgusting and unusuable, between the ratings, the linking of pictures (dick pics, anyone? brown assholes, anyone?) the ability to "report" shouts, all the notifications from the box... tons of wasted space yet the actual box is cramped and you can only see like 5-6 shouts at a time and that's it.. good thing we have 2 inch margins everywhere for uhh reasons i guess.. at least you won't be able to cut yourself on a corner since they are all rounded like a toddler's toy, call it duplo-box. ugly as fuck timestamp blob, the ratings is actually taller than a single fucking shout, and the thing is just a MESS. and why is it ;;avatar;;@;;username what does the @ symbol appearing there do? nothing but add more bloat. this shit is disgusting and the entire fucking website looks like some failed microsoft product from the year 2010

is du prepared to lose 50% of his userbase within the first week? because that is what's going to happen.

Jenkem

お前はもう死んでいる
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! [Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.] I helped put crap in Monomyth
also xenforo's own fucking forum looks miles better than nu-dex but I'm sure the shills will insist they are using some ultra modified version of their own software for some reason

Vatnik Wumao
Lets just keep things as they were.

Jenkem

お前はもう死んでいる
Patron
Vatnik
this is your "improved" shoutbox btw:

YwRlCVT.png

it's still fucking shit, with tons of needless crap and tons of wasted space.. yet these people like Roguey will tell you how much "better" it is. maybe.... maybe.... but it's still absolute fucking SHIT

Strig

Learned
I really don't like how even the latest version, while much better than the previous, is still much darker overall. The contrast between the text and the background is distracting and causes eyestrain. I also removed the borders on the sides, they're unnecessary. Topic tags are also annoyingly bright and I think they make the titles look messy, they should have at least the same width if you're adamant to keep them there. Pinned topics need more than a small pin icon, seriously. I think this would work much better:

SnJunKE.png

Also, bring back normal user/topic info. This 2K, thumbs up, no text, funny icon bullshit is a cancerous retard school of design with a well-earned hard "r". All in all, while current forum layout could use some cleaning up, I consider what's coming inferior to what we already have. Lamentable, really.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Sad Loser
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
By the way, speaking of wasted space:
2MaXg1h.png

Are you using the Xenforo theme?

this is your "improved" shoutbox btw:
? It doesn't look like that anymore.

I don't think the SB can be made to look and work decently without necessarily ripping out its HTML and CSS templates and remaking them. It's not something I'm going to unilaterally start doing for that reason. At this point it can be made to suck slightly less, for instance removing the at-sign tagging "feature" and hiding all rating functionality via CSS.

For now let's work on regular forum elements, shall we?

First is at 150% where the edge fits perfectly.
Second is at 100%. But the Search box should just be in line with the rest of the forum.

Fixed.

No one complained about in-thread background colors which is good.

Changes:

- hidden more annoying SB functionality
- new post indicator inside threads is no longer orange
- fixed search box
- changed quotation colors
- changed background for forum list and thread list to be in between old color and XF2 Codex color
- the colorful thread label now goes to the right

Last edited:

Kruno

Arcane
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

shywn

Savant

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Sad Loser
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I am using whatever is the default. It says "XenForo Theme" at the bottom, so I guess I am?

How'd you get the thread list looking like that in the first place? I don't get subforum titles displaying at all. Same with the unread forum indicator.

- The troll should now collapse onto its own line when screen width is less than 1450 pixels.
- Forum list read/unread icons are differently colored now.
- Added comments to the CSS template for the next unfortunate person editing it.

Last edited:

shywn

Savant
How'd you get the thread list looking like that in the first place? I don't get subforum titles displaying at all. Same with the unread forum indicator.

You tell me.

- The troll should now collapse onto its own line when screen width is less than 1450 pixels.

Those "media queries" or whatever they call them are the devil. They only work to make your CSS triple the size and double the convolution. I don't know how anyone can work with them.

That said, the collapsed troll is not very good:
5FegIJk.png

Maxie

Magister
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
whoever's fiddling with the troll top left is a talentless idiot

O8VVDK3.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom