Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your test site sucks

Do you zoom in when reading the Codex?

• Yes, I usually or regularly zoom in (increasing the font size) in order to read the Codex.

Votes: 82 26.9%
  • On the odd occasion, I have had to zoom in. Maybe on a particular device.

Votes: 37 12.1%
  • No. Never.

Votes: 148 48.5%
  • Bitch, I zoom out.

Votes: 21 6.9%
  • Oh Comrade of Kings, lament not our sins.

Votes: 17 5.6%

• Total voters
Unwanted

†††

Patron
It's great

if you want to kill the Codex

Narushima

Cipher
Yeah, it's really ugly.
It looks like the worst aspects of 90s Internet design brought to modern standards.

At least give us a theme to make it look normal.

Animated avatars don't work
Good.
Animated avatars and signatures are annoying.

Last edited:
Change is Bad! x95

martin-luther-hammerjpg-b374c9c7462c45bc.jpg

communard

Arcane
Literally why?

Edit: These margins are absurdly thicc. Can you please not design the site around the highly specific needs of morbidly obese phoneposters? Just absurd amounts of wasted screen space.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't like it, looks like everything else on the internet, and it's way too big. Just have to ask why? Is it some kind of pet project, or a serious thing?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The test site's design is a pronounced deterioration from the current design and is unworthy of a smart military blog authoritative cod-fishing newsletter prestigious RPG forum. :rpgcodex:

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The new site has some good points, but it needs quite a bit of tweaking and TLC.

That padding is particularly excessive, and it's missing a fair bit of functionality; there are presently no more youtube, twitter, or facebook embeds and I'm uncertain if the webm function remained.

Duraframe300

Arcane
It looks ugly as fuck, at least try to import the layout of the original.
It's possible.

I've seen other forums move to a modern version of XenForo already this year. They managed to reasonably keep it/be recognizable and not go full mobile UI.

DarkUnderlord is fucking with us.

Just to give examples here's a few I found by a few seconds of searching.

https://localsearchforum.com/
https://arsenal-mania.com/forum/

Somehow these sites didn't have to go full web 3.0 design like rpgcodex did.

Also what is it with the avatars moving when scrolling down threads?
Very much this. Who the fuck comes up with this shit.

They also don't feature this, so worst case this was done on purpose by DU.

Last edited:

prengle

Savant
wasted a couple of hours with firefox's devtools desperately trying to make the new xenforo 2 skin look like the old one:

8swbxh.png

my brain shuts down the instant it sees a css file and i've never worked with xenforo before, but i got vaguely close anyways, so i really can't come up with a reason (other than pure laziness) not to add an optional codex classic® theme for luddites like me who throw a tantrum every time they see a website that wasn't last updated during the dubya administration. now for some good old fashioned nitpicking:
  • that cubano font looks godawful, it gives me dollar store fortnite vibes
  • the sticky navbar is obnoxious, but the profile boxes being sticky too is even worse
  • give me tahoma or give me death
  • font sizes should be decreased by 2px and there's too much padding everywhere. the spacing between individual posts is particularly bad
  • the profile boxes in particular are way too wide and i'm not big on profile stats getting funneled into those tiny little boxes at the bottom
  • not every corner needs to be rounded
  • why is there a fucking social media share bar in every thread
  • why is the new site background even blurrier
  • color scheme is a little too saturated and the light blue fonts could be brightened a little. it doesn't feel very codexian to me since i'm so used to the old one
  • i miss posts having alternating background colors
  • it's harder to tell if a thread is stickied now
  • different subforums/forum categories having their own icons would be cool
  • lots of missing/weirdly implemented features (reactions are all gone, the shoutbox is too cluttered, i think the old thread tags are missing, animated pfps don't work, nametags and profile badges are gone, i can't click on the troll logo to change it anymore, ignore lists are apparently gone, the donation shill page is weird now, everything is weird now and i hate it)
tl;dr it's different so it sucks. i don't think it's ready for primetime yet and i will continue to throw rocks at australian people until the situation improves

In case I wasn't clear in my first post, I wasn't actually joking. This new design is really bad. As others have said, I can only fit half the subforums on my screen with this new obese interface. Part of the appeal of this place for me is that it looks and works like a forum from the mid-2000s and reminds me of better times. Please reconsider and keep it the old way.

It's like going from this:

45714-magic-the-gathering-online-windows-screenshot-duel-screen.jpg

To this:

Screenshot_from_2019-02-08_00-27-54.png

Such a decline.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Yeah, pretty much the first thing the new UI would need is a userscript to kill it and bring back the old UI. This is a fucking disaster that will kill off a good part of the codex. No one asked for this and I'm not sure why DU was contemplating it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom