Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your top 5 RPG list

bossjimbob

Liturgist
Howdy. Since all of you here are pretty knowledgable in the genre of RPGs (both PC and console assumedly) I was curious to hear about your top five lists of games that you feel have advanced this style of game design. If you feel like being wordy, by all means toss in some descriptions or official links. Cheers.

Sharpei_Diem

Liturgist
Recent, or all time?

All time (no particular order):
<b>Planescape: Torment</b>: Well written dialogue and choice options, excellent voice acting, sounds and environment. very well done, Mature approach to a game.
<b>Ultima 4</b>: Absolute classic that changed the genre in many ways
<b>Baldurs Gate</b>: new engine and graphics for d&d which was dying slowly since Eye of the Beholder. Good story and environment.
<b>Fallout</b>: absolute classic. great story and environment, hampered only by an ugly (but effective) interface.
<b>Dungeon Master</b>: game that was ahead of it's time in many ways.

Recent

1) Planescape: Torment
2) Fallout
3) Baldurs Gate
4) Fallout 2
5) Arcanum

Zetor

Arcane
In no order [they're all equally k3wl IMNSHHO]

Games I play the most:
- JA2 [turn-based tactical luv, the best system I've seen so far]
- Star Control 2 [it's more of a RPG than most of the stuff out there right now]
- Wizardry 7 [best 'oldskool' RPG evar]
- Tactics Ogre (SNES or PSX) [requires more thinking than most PC RPGs and has *gasp* ACTUAL PLAYER CHOICE]
- Deus Ex or System Shock 1 [bite me :lol:]

Most innovative cRPGs from my POV:
- Fallout
- PS:T
- Ultima 4
- Starflight [I never played it, but it's the precursor to SC2 sooooo...]
- Betrayal at Krondor

/me runs from the angry mob :P

-- Z.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
- Fallout series

- Baldur's Gate series

- Neverwinter Nights

- Arcanum

- Ultima 7

Greenskin13

Erudite
Seems like Fallouts very popular, no?

1. Fallout
2. Planescape: Torment
3. SLASH'EM
4. Wasteland
5. Fallout 2

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
1. Fallout
2. Daggerfall
3. Planescape: Torment
4. Darklands
5. Three way tie between the last good Wizardry (not 8 ), last good Might and Magic (before they ruined it), and Quest for Glory 2 (I'm a sucker for adventure games)

Araanor

Liturgist
Fallout is the holy grail of CRPGs, you know. :) A considerable part of the active members here have found their way via Fallout fansites...

Fallout 1/2
Planescape: Torment
Arcanum
Darksun, maybe.

Voss

Erudite
Planescape: Torment
Ultima 4
Fallout
Darklands
Arcanum

Thinking about this drove home how little there actually is to choose from.
:cry:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Voss said:
:cry:
Ain't that the truth *sighs*

Personal fav: Fallout and Arcanum (god bless Tim Cain), Daggerfall, PS: Torment (the story was too damn powerful), Ultima 4.

The ones that advanced the genre: Fallout, NetHack, Daggerfall, Ultima Underworld, Diablo 2 (the skill trees).

Section8

Cipher
RPG:

Fallout
Ultima Underworld
Arcanum
Ultima VII
Geneforge

RPGish:

System Shock 2
Dungeon Master
Uncharted Waters
Jagged Alliance
Lands of Lore

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, it shouldn't be just the favs, but games which advanced the genre... hmm..

Old, dungeon-like games: Dungeon Master, EOB 1 and perhaps Bloodwych (interesting also because you could play 2 adventuring parties on a split screen :))

And then, a chain: Dark Sun 1 (a wonderful game) -> Wasteland -> Fallout.

Nothing too important happened in the genre afterwards, imho. I would only repeat what others have said about the great writing and maturity of Planescape, but for example Arcanum, being a great game, in terms of advancing the genre may be viewed as "Fallout made bigger and in a new, original setting".

And the "exploration" RPGs... hmm... Magic Candle? Then it was just Arena -> Daggerfall -> Morrowind.

Jed

Cipher
Fallout
Arcanum
Prelude to Darkness
Morrowind
Torment

I'm somewhat of a n00b, so all of my games date after '97 or so.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Thi is my list of games that (I think) have added something original or unique to the body of role-playing knowledge.

Alter Ego - my idea of pure roleplaying, every action has consequence, in fact the whole gameplay is ruled by making choices.

Space 1889 - a game that succeeded purely on the originality of the game world and its massive array of skills. Martian Dreams had a similar setting and Arcanum was released ten years later, but other than that, its an extremely rich and largely unexplored theme.

Pirates! - huge world that responds to the player choices with lots of actions within the world, politic-ing, treasure hunts, re-uniting your family, marriage - basically, The Spanish Main becomes a giant toybox to live out your buccaneer fantasies.

Shadowrun (MegaDrive) - I mention this game because it has RT combat that works. The simple device of having your player slow down when there were enemies nearby allows the player to move speedily through the world, and also at a more sensible, combat orientated pace, without break in continuity. I haven't played the Lionheart demo, but reading the criticism makes me wonder whether a slow-down option would help.

A special mention to Hound of the Shadow and the Elvira RPG's, because I enjoyed these games even though they weren't really that good. I like horror and I like RPG's, its a shame the two very rarely meet.

Voss said:

The problem is that new games fail to incorporate the good ideas of the previous iterations. That's how you build up a body of work, you reinforce the good ideas, you throw away the bad.

Zetor

Arcane
About Baldur's Gate... it's hardly an 'original' engine, the Dark Sun games were very similar. [they were tile-based instead of having prerendered backgrounds and had turn-based combat, but that's it... in a sense, the IE was a step backwards. :P]

-- Z.

Sabotai

Liturgist
In chronological order:
-The Faery Tale Adventure (very first RPG-ish type of game I played)
-Dungeon Master (I'm still a bit jealous of Secion8's avatar)
-All Magnetic Scrolls games (even though they were text adventures)
-Wizardry 7
-Ultima VII (is it coincidence or are most games with a 7 in the name pretty darn good?)

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
EEVIAC said:
Shadowrun (MegaDrive) - I mention this game because it has RT combat that works. The simple device of having your player slow down when there were enemies nearby allows the player to move speedily through the world, and also at a more sensible, combat orientated pace, without break in continuity. I haven't played the Lionheart demo, but reading the criticism makes me wonder whether a slow-down option would help.

I think that slowdown was due to the player's low speed... when my skills got higher, i remember not slowing down one bit in combat. Perhaps it was a mix of skills and cyberware?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Let's see...

Fallout - I rarely replay many games, especially CRPGs, but I've played this one countless times. There was a time when I'd come home from work for a month, and play Fallout from start to finish nearly every evening. Didn't get much sleep that month, though.. heh

Geneforge - Likewise, I've played this through several times, only four times though. I really dig the atmosphere and setting. More than anything else, the atmosphere is what kept me coming back.

Questron - I can't remember why, but I loved this game as a kid. I need to fire up a C64 emulator and remind myself why I played it several times.

Prelude to Darkness - The only thing that stops me from replaying this one is the bugs. I've played it through twice though.

Demise - The Rise of the Ku'Tan - Probably one of the best dungeon crawlers ever made. Never beat it, mainly because it took me a month to get to level six of the thirty level dungeon.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Role-Player said:
I think that slowdown was due to the player's low speed... when my skills got higher, i remember not slowing down one bit in combat. Perhaps it was a mix of skills and cyberware?

I actually thought it was caused by a computer slowdown but I've read it mentioned in FAQ's. Nevertheless, its still usefull knowing when you're in a combat situation or about to approach a combat situation. I should have mentioned Freedom Force as another implementation of slowing combat to give the player time to make reasoned choices.

Spazmo

Erudite
wizard said:
-Fallout
-Geneforge
-Avernum-serie
-Baldur's Gate-serie
-Exile-serie

Quite Spiderweb based list :D

Isn't the Avernum series roughly a remake of the Exile series? Or are tehre enough differences to make them distinct games?

As for me, well, Fallouts and a bit of PS:T, some Geneforge, a dash of Arcanum and a healthy helping of Pnp D&D for flavour.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom