Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your top 5 RPG list

whatusername

Scholar
z3r'0', I thought you'd know better than that.

Ladonna

Arcane
Oh well. Nice read though....But it still says just how little there is to choose from, even after three years!

Something to think about eh?

Here is mine:

1:Arcanum.
2:Fallout
3:Pool of radiance
4:Ultima 5
5:Fallout2

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
I realise that I have played practically no games that would classify as RPGs here, but nevertheless, I'll give it a shot...

1. The Legend of Dragoon

2.+3. TES (MW or OB)

4. FFX

5. FFX-2\

...yeah. Lot of JRPGs in that list...

obediah

Erudite
Ahzaruuk said:
I realise that I have played practically no games that would classify as RPGs here, but nevertheless, I'll give it a shot...

1. The Legend of Dragoon

2.+3. TES (MW or OB)

4. FFX

5. FFX-2\

Uh...why are you here? Seriously - what drew you here if it wasn't our taste in games? Did you just get pissed at Oblivion and it's one of those the enemy of my enemy things?

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
obediah said:
Ahzaruuk said:

1. The Legend of Dragoon

2.+3. TES (MW or OB)

4. FFX

5. FFX-2\

Uh...why are you here? Seriously - what drew you here if it wasn't our taste in games? Did you just get pissed at Oblivion and it's one of those the enemy of my enemy things?
No. I joined to ge a clue about other CRPGS. :lol:

I'm pretty sure I would like/love/hate some of them, but when I was in my early gaming years (before I became very active on the internet) anything outside media attention utterly escaped my notice.

Now I wish I didn't live under such a huge rock for all those years. :(

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Don't you follow any other threads, flatulenciah?

He's from the TESF [The Elder Scrolls Furries] and came after hearing that we have a large population of latent furries here.

Now that he's already here, someone should convince him to play Fallout or Planescape: Torment. If you don't, I will. I have my methods.

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Jasede said:
Now that he's already here, someone should convince him to play Fallout or Planescape: Torment. If you don't, I will. I have my methods.
A Couple of friends of mine have told me some entertaining stories about the persuasion system in Fallout.

Something about if it's at maximun skill you can convince anyone of anything practically. :lol:

"You are not a man. You are a WOMAN!"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

...or something like that. It ws funny at the time.

Iasi, Romania?... Postcount: bigger then yours
Best character development (in more ways then just statistics)

1. Fallout series
2. Daggerfall
3. Diablo (skill trees)
4. Betrayal at Krondor (just started playing it)
5. Deus Ex

Best dialog

- quality of the writting

1. Planescape: Torment
2. Fallout 2 (the swearings helped alot!)
3. Baldur's Gate 2
4. KotOR 2
5. Fallout

Honorable Mention: Although it doesn't have dialog chooices, Morrowind has by far the best written dialog out of all the wiki-dialog games I've played so far, besides the game had 5 proffesional writters working on it. Too bad they wasted most of it on NPCs though...

- freedom of expression (dialog trees)

1. Fallout
2. Fallout 2
3. Planescape: Torment
4. Baldur's Gate 2
5. Arcanum

Best world design

- physical interpretation

1. Gothic series
2. Ultima 7
3. Vampires TM: B
4. ...
5. Baldurs Gate series

- concept and originality

2. Morrowind
3. Geneforge series
4. Fallout
5. Arcanum

Best Storyline

- quality of the story

2. System Shock 2
3. KotOR
4. Betrayal at Krondor
5. Baldur's Gate 2

- most non-linear

1. Fallout
2. Geneforge 3
3. Fallout 2
4. Temple of Elemental Evil
5. Deus Ex

Chooice and Conscequences

1. Fallout series
2. Geneforge
3. Ultima 7
4. Wizardry 8 (the only wizardry game I've played)
5. Arcanum

Overall Top 5 favourite RPG list

2. Fallout
3. Daggerfall
4. Fallout 2
5. Arcanum

Top 5 RPG hybrids

1. Morrowind
2. Gothic
3. Arx Fatalis
4. Gothic 2
5. Diablo

VenomByte

Scholar
Oh well, since the thread necrophilia has started, lets continue...

1) Fallout
2) Morrowind
3) VTM: Bloodlines

That's all.

Judging from the early replies, I ought to go buy a copy of Planetscape: Torment...

Higher Game

Arcane
Ahzaruuk said:
No. I joined to ge a clue about other CRPGS. :lol:

Just cRPGs?! You need some help when it comes to jRPGs, too! :lol: Go play Vagrant Story, FFIV, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Front Mission 3, Lunar 1/2, and Tales of Phantasia (the translated ROM version). If you think Legend of the Dragoon and any FF after 7 are good enough for a top 5, you have probably never played a good RPG in your life. I'm being serious. Get some good jRPGs first, and then it will be easier moving on to more complex cRPGs. The lists most guys have put up here are good for that.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oooh, I like those categories.

Best character development

1. Wizardry 8
2. Realms of Arkania/Nordlandtrilogie
3. Arcanum
4. Quest for Glory quintology [though you should really forget V]

Best dialogue

- quality of the writting

No RPG has really awesome writing, not even PS: T or Fallout. Good, yes, better than everything else on the RPG market, yes, but outstanding?

- freedom of expression (dialogue trees)

1. Arcanum
2. Fallout
3. Planescape: Torment

Best world design

- interpretation

1. Ultima 7 - Serpent Isle
2. Gothic 1
3. Fallout
4. Morrowind

- concept

1. Morrowind [A boring game. A lovely world, on paper.]
2. Gothic 1
3. Arcanum
4. Fallout

Best Storyline

- quality of the story

1. System Shock 1
2. System Shock 2
3. Dark Heart of Uukrul
4. Final Fantasy 4. [Bite me.]

- most non-linear

1. Ultima 4
2. Fallout
3. Arcanum

C&C
1. Wizardry 8
2. Fallout
3. Wizardy 7

Overall Top 3 favourite RPG list

1. Realms of Arkania/Nordlandtrilogie
2. Wizardry 8
3. Arcanum

Top 2 RPG hybrids

1. System Shock 2
2. System Shock 1

Top 3 Action-Adventures
1. Zelda: Majora's Mask
2. Terranigma
3. Secret of Mana / Seiken Densetsu 2

Top 3 jRPGs
1. Final Fantasy 5
2. Earthbound
3. Chrono Trigger

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Only get SS1. The other two... you had to be there, then. No Final Fantasy game has a good story - unless you play it as a kid. That's how I justify FF 4's position. And the story of Dark Heart of Uukrul was simply very well written, I think. It's a puzzle-heavy RPG from the old days.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Ladonna said:
Oh well. Nice read though....But it still says just how little there is to choose from, even after three years!

I could actually replace my original list only with games released in the intervening three years.

Europa 1400 - The Guild or even The Sims 2 for Alter Ego.

Space Rangers 2 for Pirates!

There's a few console games with excellent RT combat that can take Shadowrun's place but Ninja Gaiden is probably the pick.

Shin Megami Tensei : Lucifer's Call replaces Elvira as my horror pick.

The only game from my original list that has no peer is Space 1889. That setting still kicks arse. Even though Arcanum inhabits similar territory, elves and prophesies can't match up to ether flyers and the canals of Mars.

Binary

Liturgist
Oh gosh it's the return of the "Fallout-Arcanum-PST" adulation thread again.

1. Ultima 7.5
2. Ultima 6
3. Darklands
4. Faery Tale Adventures 2
5. Legend

Oh and Jasede... I am not sure how you're old enough to have played Uukrul, but don't have Darklands on your list of "dialog trees" or "character development", and have Fallout instead of Wasteland on the concept of world design.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Good points there, but I was
a) slamming the list together real quick
and
b) I really do think that the world design of FO has more twists and ideas than that of Wasteland. Though nothing beats Wasteland's Vegas.
c) I /like/ the character creation of Darklands, but I don't like the character development after the creation. I think Arcanum did a much better job, with the plethora of skills, abilities and stats. I admit I am a bit of a stat-whore.

Vipera

Scholar
Morrowind and Oblivion are the only RPGs I've played. :)

I'll check back on this thread in a few days, after the flames this post have caused extinguish themselves.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Really? The only ones? Well, don't waste your time on the internet then, go play some cool games.

Vipera

Scholar
Wow, you guys are taking this a lot better than I expected. Where can I find information on Fallout (System requirements, where to buy it, etc.)?

Vipera said:
Wow, you guys are taking this a lot better than I expected. Where can I find information on Fallout (System requirements, where to buy it, etc.)?

Your best bet for buying it is eBay. I got Fallout 1 + 2 Dual Jewel pack for £5. Stupid bloody name, that, but amazing value for money.
As for system requirements... well, you're looking at quad 8800GTXs, but even they won't really run it on full without major tweaking. You'll probably have to run without the Shader 3.0 effects.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom