Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yugioh

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Anyone else here still play? What are your thoughts on the direction of the game over the last 5 years? If there's any game in dire need of balance, it's this one. Fucked in the ass every booster set by power creep that has no end, but it's still such a fun game outside of the bullshit that I keep coming back. Pendulums were the worst idea yet for the game, just look at pendulum magicians to see how degenerate that is. Right now, the future is looking slightly better thanks to the new rules incoming for extra deck and pendulums. Links are a more generic xyz though so there's lots of potential for abuse, but the extra zone is the best addition in years.

What decks do you play?

Jason Liang

Arcane
I'm too old to "still play" this (Yugioh is a bit after my time as a card gamer) but I liked the DS games quite a lot. 2010 Reverse of Arcadia was the best, followed by WC2008. 2011 had retarded AI but 2010 had good AI and a large card pool. 2008 has a smaller card pool (no Nurse Reficule:( ) but it has animated monster cards.

I admire how rigorously they try to balance the cards, so that effects that would be crap in other card games like Upstart Goblin and Reckless Greed are actually top tier cards.

I wish I could get Legacy of the Duelist to run on my laptop but it's x64 only.

Love Nurse Reficule. An almost perfect monster card.

My favorite "classic" Yugi-oh cards:

Top 10:
1. Nurse Reficule (wow, they errata'd her to be a darklord? sweet)
latest

2. Magic Cylinder
latest

3. Magical Dimension
latest

4. Future Visions/ Fortune Ladies
latest

5. Don Zaloog
latest

6. Honest
latest

7. D. D. Warrior Lady
latest

8. Princess of Tsurugi
latest

9. Solemn Judgment
latest

10. Creature Swap
latest

Honorable Mentions:
Royal Decree - for being horribly powerful
Des Koala (almost as good a flip as Princess of Tsurugi)
Rapid-Fire Magician (almost a good card, good compliment to Nurse Reficule. If only he activates on quick spells. And didn't die to Bottomless Trap Hole.)
latest

Destiny Hero - Diamond Dude (and other Destiny Heroes)
Splendid Venus (a great non-nomi monster to special summon, and good with Nurse Reficule!)
SplendidVenus-TDGS-EN-ScR-1E.png

Dark Nephtys (another great non-nomi that can special summon itself too)
latest

Neo- Spacian Ground Mole (cheesey I know)
Ultimate Offering (sometimes awesome, sometimes meh)
Cyber-stein (CRAZY fun in Nightmare Troubadour)
Chaos Goddess, for coolness
latest

UPDATE: I just looked at the current forbidden list. Ceasefire is restricted while both Magic Cylinder and Brain Control are unlimited. Wow.

Last edited:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I'm only getting back in once the new amazoness support is released physically in the tcg. It's a surprisingly fun deck, on top of being actually laughably powerful against a lot of current cancer. Crazy what a few legacy support did for them.

It's dead, mate. Pendulum Summon killed it.
Agreed.

Trying to argue to the common yugioh player that broken shit should be hit is like slamming my head against a brick wall.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I don't own a deck, but I borrow people's decks to play from time to time. I think it's a fun card game, even though Magic is still better imo. My favorite deck I've played with was a D/D deck filled with Dark Contracts. That was a tense match, I ended up winning (my first time playing since I was a kid) with like 300 LP left.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The last Yugioh movie was pretty cool, I also highly recommend the phone game, Duel Links.

deuxhero

Arcane
Konami really is insistent on destroying everything of value it owns.

1. Nurse Reficule (wow, they errata'd her to be a darklord? sweet)

It wasn't so much errata as making her reflect the Japanese name. 堕天使ナース-レフィキュル has always been part of the 堕天使 archetype. The problem is 堕天使 only got cards that effected it 8 years after in came out. If you read all the rules a lot of the early cards are part of archetypes for this reason, for example Summon Skull (Summoned Daemon) is an Archfiend (Daemon).

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Play the fucking thing if you don't believe me. Phones are basically 10 year old computers with touch screens. There's a lot of bad practices with most of those games but Duel Links is pretty fair. In 6 months I've only bought one pack with real money, but have many great decks of Ultra or Super Rare cards. So $1.99 for hundreds of hours is a good deal. Feels totaly like Yugioh too.

Edit: Konami made a killing off Duel Links and now might turn things around. Castlevania on Netflix was a huge success too.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Yeah, one of the things I've always believed about Yugioh is that it truly contains a depth due to the staggering amount of different themes of cards that are inspired by mythology, technology, the real world, made up things, etc, and the imagination and creativity potential makes it such a great game in theory. Sadly, power creep has a derivative of infinity in this game, so every good thing is ruined by the amount of cancer in the game.

damicore

Augur
Play the fucking thing if you don't believe me. Phones are basically 10 year old computers with touch screens. There's a lot of bad practices with most of those games but Duel Links is pretty fair. In 6 months I've only bought one pack with real money, but have many great decks of Ultra or Super Rare cards. So $1.99 for hundreds of hours is a good deal. Feels totaly like Yugioh too.

Edit: Konami made a killing off Duel Links and now might turn things around. Castlevania on Netflix was a huge success too.
Aren't they starting to push archetypes in dual links, too?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
BTW, have you guys tried the Yu-Gi-Oh game available on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/480650/YuGiOh_Legacy_of_the_Duelist/ ?

The game is actually great which is super surprising, Konami has released like 3 different shitty Yugioh games since the DS games went bust, everyone was surprised when they released a decent console game. Solid PVE game it's just like the Nintendo DS games, it gets you with the expansions though because you kind of need the new sets to compete in player vs player and Konami charges a pretty penny.

www.Duelingbook.com is also the illegal dueling simulator version of this if you want to skip the trash and just throw down with people, it's the real hub of the competitive community and it's a fairly well made flash game.

Also this TCG went to trash. I was more or less addicted to YGO 2011-2015 and the formats more or less got progressively worse despite there being some really good ones in that period. It wasn't even Pendulum summoning as much as the card designers being on literal crack and the game being literally decided by the dice roll because Japanese business executives put zero effort into making it entertaining. The person who went first more or less has a 70% chance to make an unbreakable board with 4 special summoned monsters and a bunch of defensive cards, and on average each player's turn is 10 minutes of special summoning and all sorts of bullshit, unlike in Magic the Gathering where it's throw your land down summon your creature pass to your opponent. Magic the Gathering and someone of the Hearthstone derivatives like Duelyst, the Shadowverse the weaboo Hearthstone, and Gwent are much better TCGs to play online.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I've been playing Legacy of the Duelist for the past week, Campaign Mode using the "historic" decks - good idea, giving two decks that are relatively "balanced" (although the AI will occasionally play like a moron). Feels great playing again, but can't say I care too much for the environment after XYZ and Pendulum summons. So while all the graphic and UI updates from the DS games are greatly appreciated, I think the WC 2008 and WC 2010: Reverse of Arcadia DS games are still more fun. LotD is a vast improvement over WC 2011 though.

Still, it's been a lark being able to run
1 X Raigeki
1 X Ring of Destruction
3 X Magic Cylinder
3 X Mirror Force - Blazing Mirror Force, wow!
2 X Ceasefire

Also I'm hooked on Doble Passe. Supposedly this is an older card from GX, but it wasn't in any of the DS games.

The game could use some pretty obvious features though, like a Card Encyclopedia and a Pack List (as well as a way to easily see which cards are missing from which pack). Evidently Reckless Greed isn't even in any of the packs - you have to earn it as a reward from one of the campaign challenges. I finally got a Reckless Greed from one of Crow's packs, after like 1000 packs.

I'm too lazy to learn all the stupid XYZ summons so I've just been burning through every Challenge with a cheesey simple Chain Strike deck. Hey, it's the correct meta call after all.

1 X Jar Turtle
1 X Carcar D
2 X Reptilianne Naga
2 X Chain Strike
3 X Pot of Duality
1 X Ring of Destruction
2 X Ojama Trio
2 X Ceasefire
3 X Accumulate Wealth
1 X Chain Detonation
3 X Just Desserts
3 X Secret Barrel
3 X Secret Blast
1 X Bad Luck Blast
3 X Reckless Greed
3 X Jar of Greed
3 X Magic Cylinder
3 X Dimensional Wall

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
:necro:

Duel Links is out on Steam.

Reminds me of the GBA games Stairway to the Destined Duel and Eternal Duelist Soul, albeit a bit simplified. Pretty fun and quite decent for a f2p.

RapineDel

Augur
I stopped playing for a fair while (end of 2014) and really only dabbled in card games until picking this up again recently with a new format and new booster set just released.

I think the game has improved from the state when pendulums first came out. The new extra deck rules and link summoning have brought it back closer to that 2012-2014 feel where it's still quite fast but there's not a whole lot of FTK and there's a fair bit of deck variety.

As for the video games, Legacy of the Duelist is good but you really have to pirate it if you want to skip Konami's bullshit. There's dozens and dozens of packs locked behind micro-transactions so if you want to see everything you'd need to spend hundreds.

It's nice that Dueling Book is fairly active after they killed DN although Ygopro seems to have gone off the deep end, not as active and they're slack with updates.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom