Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yup...

New Codex design?

• I love it / like it and think it's better than the current design.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like it, but the current design is better.

• If you choose to inflict it upon me, I'll tolerate it.

• It's getting there but it needs more work.

• It sucks. Keep it the hell away from me!

• Total voters

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
UPDATE: The design you are voting on is this one here.

...time for me to show how much I suck. This is probably the last design I'm going to show for the Codex's layout. Am going to be too busy from next Monday until the end of September, so I thought I'd give it a final shot before I go AOL.

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4348/121zz.gif

I suspect I've been too trying on Saint's patience with PM's and whatnot so I'll let others who may not have seen it yet say something about it.

poq

Novice
Too much space wasted between items imo

Current frontpage(sols) is basically a copy of phpnuke's layout with some tweaks and changes.

Surlent

Liturgist
For a moment I thought Volo was the original poster. :shock:
Too much arcane people nowadays....
Anyways I'm not much of site designer, but it doesn't look bad to me at all.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
It's interesting. Colours could do with some work but the concept I like.

Calis

Pensionado
Poq's right about the wasted space. Also, fonts/margins/layout of news needs work.

Whipporowill

Erudite
I like the banner/logo. I just think that the disco ball dice thingie should be to the left - a bit too centered for my taste - I'd rather have empty space in the banner to the right than on both sides.

Lots and lots of wasted space between columns, especially heightwise. Minimize those to 1 cm.

The adpart works, just make the Sorcerer's link sit beside the paypal one. Preferraby below the ad, asteathically at least? On top would work as well I guess. That saves you some more room heightwise so that less scrolling is required to get to the news.

Fontsize?! What the fug is up with that - it's ginormous! Lower that one quite a bit. Possibly work to change the font type as well.

I like the colour scheme and general idea of it. Keep working in the same direction I'd say.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
It sucks. Rex is teh best.

But yeah, seriously, too much space wasted in the head-part of the page. And it does not look any consistent - no uniting elements. And logo is too big, it takes much of the screenspace and does not associate with term "RPGCodex" at all, plus, I dont like "comment" or "title" or whatever you call it. Its some typical blog site design. Maybe you should have added some Codex-characteristic elements (photoshoped chopped off Gaiders, Feargus'es and many other game dev heads would be nice touch). And color scheme, imo, should be dark and rich with red - blood color. Maybe add some hanging troll ("we give them enough rope to hang themselves..")? Anyways, I think this design lacks Codex's personality. And, since Codex is one of the most interesting sites, its pitty.

Shevek

Arcane
As has been said, there needs to be less wasted space. Second, the font looks a little generic. Third, Im not sure how I feel about the color scheme. You might wanna stick to cold colors or earth tones but the way you mixed the two just does not jive well. In the active thread/latest news parts, you might wanna single space it and have an extra space between articles of varying dates. The assorted boxes are designed flat but you have a 3d look to your title bar thingies. It seems to me that you either go for a flat look or you make everything pop out a bit more (notice the outlines/highlights around the boxes here now). Flat can look pretty good but needs to be a bit cleaner. I would recommend checking out the winamp skin layerOne as it has multiple color schemes and pulls off that whole simple/flat thing off pretty well.

Seven

Erudite
I like it but some darker colours and sharper textures will probably go a long way in terms of improving its appeal.

Atrokkus

Erudite
With all due respect to your effort, I still think that the current design is better.
Maybe make it as a separate skin for the forum or soemthing?

Sandelfron

Scholar
Both designs are too difficult to read with that shade of blue, especially with dark
blue or black text. The banner looks like an ad for a gay nightclub and the dice,
whilst all funky and rendered doesn't really resemble a dice (I only realised in a post).

Something like an 'Air' skin (various greys with white paper and black pen) would
be crisp and legible, though this might be easier on the eye by adding a small
amount of cyan colour.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Both designs are too difficult to read with that shade of blue, especially with dark
blue or black text.
Erm.. Have you ever seen someone posting in black text here?
It's (current design) perfectly clear and eye-friendly.

Sandelfron

Scholar
mEtaLL1x said:
blue or black text.
Erm.. Have you ever seen someone posting in black text here?
It's (current design) perfectly clear and eye-friendly.

I was referring to the two linked designs, not the current one.

Spazmo

Erudite
Isn't there an opening in a gulag you could fill?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom