Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zaharia [Turn based indie RPG]

Indranys

Savant
As I said, lack of racism doesn't mean that all the people won't be racist, and it doesn't mean that the innate intolerance of mankind does nor shows up in different ways. During the history of Islam there was a couple of moments that saw islamic sultans creating the basis for a more tolerants society, thinkers and writers of any religion used to be invited to the court to share their culture, their knowledge. Did it last? No, not foverer. And even when it was alive and functioning, it didn't changed everyone in rainbows, because some features of mankind need time to evolve, to adapt to a new context.
More or less I agree with you.

Ataturk tried to change the culture of people in Turkey, but as you can see he wasn't a God, and now there is an islamic party at the government and people outside the city are just narrowminded as they used to be before the revolution. Yet Turkey is quite different from a lot of other islamic countries, women are not compelled to cover their hair for example, but a lot of women (especially outside Istanbul and Ankara) still wear it for religious reasons.

I think you're stereotyping islam too much mate, the majority of moslems nowadays aren't racially or culturally Arabs you know (though they're mostly 2nd or 3rd generation immigrants and raised as a gangsta wannabes and douchebags in many cases).
So the Turkish thing you said is pretty normal to me. The racism & hate meter is much much more dependent on ones culture, not their religions, at least that's how it works around here.
The golden age of Mughal at the leadership of Emperor Al-Akbar won't be a bad place to live, Abassid Caliphate and Al-Andalus state were pretty :obviously: too despite all the usual problems for the different religious and ethnic group. Still the Mongolian horde is the best thing evar, at least the rapes and pillages were tasteful. :obviously:
And I think the word narrowminded is to extreme, the rural Turkish folks are just a simpler society in the eyes of modern/secular idealism, not every folk so eager to open their pants to embrace the globalizashun you know.

For example, here in my shitty thirldworldian country, who-hate-what business is determined by their ethnicity and history among each another, not their gods. A lot of Betawi (the native people of Jakarta) have a ridiculous hate toward the Arabs, although both of them are muslims. It's pretty usual that the Arabs and their mixed descendants are called camels around there.
The reason usually revolves around the Arabs isolationist tendency and the Arabs' lack of understanding towards the local customs and laws (also known as the adat).
While the Javanese are quite neutral and don't give any flying fuck about the Arabian way of life, but they have an ancient and unhealthy rivalry with the Madurese despite their islamic similarity until this day.
And a lot of Javanese traditional muslims don't wear hijab too. :roll:
The Balinese who're pretty much hindus, are pretty welcoming to the Arabs, but on the other hand they are a bit racist toward the eastern people like the Ambonese and Papuan (who are mostly christians).
I don't really know the reason though, maybe because the eastern are black or their cultures are too alien for the Balinese. And they love to say selem (a balinese word for black) among each another as a mild joke.
Here we go again, I'm sperging so much shit again. Sorry, but please mind that not all things should be viewed or understood with the western ideals...

The player will live the end of this golden age, he will see new problems arise and he will see all those "liberal" features being tested by reality. That's the reason why everything seems so cool and utopian, just like in any growth period in our history, there is money and food for everyone.
Not exactly, we aim to point out the flaws of humanity, those "we're sooo cool and liberal" characteristics will be mostly a facade (just like it happens in reality), than some universally shared behaviors. The theme of a lot of quests will be in fact what lies beyond those features, in addiction to that the player will find out a lot of interesting things about why the society has evolved following this way, and the reasons will not be "pure and good" like they seems, quite the opposite. And it will be a spoiler to reveal most of them, because they're linked to some quests and secrets.
The zaharian society is flawed, its flaws are in part different from the ones of the european medieval society or our contemporary society, but they exist. Most of those utopian and happy guidelines are something recent, because they came along the reconquest of the zaharian territories, that is quite recent in the setting.

You should write this stuff in your first post mate, thus everything will be much more clearer and I won't go apeshit like yesterday.
And please continue dude.

Last edited:

Tormented Seph

Scholar
We all do. In the worst scenario, we'll steal some money, apparently is not a crime around here.
Come on, don't say things like these: we have sea, sun, tourism, old monuments, mediterranean girls, good food, pizza, maccheroni, and so on...
I know, we also have Berlusconi but, I mean.......it's only the immagination of the baby-eater communists...

(Awesome: here we can bash Berlusconi as much as we want, without being arrested! :yeah:)

Anyway I hope you'll be able to keep your promises: the (non existent) future of italian RPGs is in your hand, Nathan...

...and if you fail...embrace yourself, punishment is coming:

goe6.jpg

oscar

Arcane
You can link them historical facts, antiquity had several cultures , zoroastrian of course , isle of tera matriarchies,even native american goddess queens(google senora de cao) , they wont change their minds. Even crusades had women fighters later, but its only reported by the historian anna komene, wich is not surprising as the male historians were monks and therefore , like some codexers, not supposed to even look at women.

You haven't played or watched many high-contact sports in your life have you? It must just be misogyny holding back women from compromising 1/2 of NFL or rugby teams right?

hiver

Well, ... may force be with you.
Definitely some AoD vibes going on there. Concept art is great.

Question: is it party based or just solo, with Ai controlled NPCs as companions, ala Fallout?

Also,
I'll try to be available for questions, clarifications, and insults of any sort.
screw you, man!

:shakes fist angrily:

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Our composer uploaded some tracks on his soundcloud profile: https://soundcloud.com/luigi-di-guida-composer/sets/zaharia-ost

Well, ... may force be with you.
Definitely some AoD vibes going on there. Concept art is great.

Question: is it party based or just solo, with Ai controlled NPCs as companions, ala Fallout?

Also,
I'll try to be available for questions, clarifications, and insults of any sort.
screw you, man!

:shakes fist angrily:
Zaharia will be a party RPG, with full control of companions during the fight. We plan to insert a lot of interactions with the party's NPCs, in order to make them the most living as possible.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I see some things that sound good about your RPG, but it's easy to say a couple things that sound nice. I'd to see an example of in game writing. Like an example conversation or a the design doc for a quest.

I realize that is asking for a lot, but when you're an unknown dev, you have to prove you know what you're doing.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Interesting. The Middle-East was pretty much the focus of my studies while at university so this game's setting is pretty much automatically on my radar. Gameplay-wise, I think you could squeeze a lot of fun and unique mechanics out of a desert setting. The region itself is way more nuanced than people think. I hope the game reflects that, too.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
I see some things that sound good about your RPG, but it's easy to say a couple things that sound nice. I'd to see an example of in game writing. Like an example conversation or a the design doc for a quest.

I realize that is asking for a lot, but when you're an unknown dev, you have to prove you know what you're doing.
We're working on a prototype, a limited prototype, but for its 30 minutes of lenght it has 4 main ending, 4 alternate ending for a secondary subplot and some other little variations according to the player actions. And this is just an example.
It won't be polished and complete like a full game, but I think it will be possible to see our real intentions.

himmy

Arcane
This sounds really nice. The setting sounds relatively fresh and the TB combat and focus on dialogue increase my hopes for the game.

But please, please, PLEASE! Before jumping unto Kickstarter, do your research. Too many promising games have suffered and failed because of an underwhelming Kickstarter pitch. You'd be surprised how much first-impression elements, like the still screen of the video or the length of the text matter in this. Speak with other people who had successful pitches, as they are likely to be eager to help and can guide you through not doing the same mistakes as they did (or didn't). A few extra hours of polishing can make the difference between game and no game.

Good luck!

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
This sounds really nice. The setting sounds relatively fresh and the TB combat and focus on dialogue increase my hopes for the game.

But please, please, PLEASE! Before jumping unto Kickstarter, do your research. Too many promising games have suffered and failed because of an underwhelming Kickstarter pitch. You'd be surprised how much first-impression elements, like the still screen of the video or the length of the text matter in this. Speak with other people who had successful pitches, as they are likely to be eager to help and can guide you through not doing the same mistakes as they did (or didn't). A few extra hours of polishing can make the difference between game and no game.

Good luck!
We prepared a prototype, did a lot of research about the marketing for KS, made agreement for physical copies, prepared a clear and decent page, a lot of different and interesting tier and so on. Let's just hope to have a decent reception from the press.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Just add another 20k to your kickstarter goal and promise it to a couple of high-penetration journos if you get funded. Other people have done it.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
nice tunes!
game looks interesting.
send us a prototype.
:thumbsup:

Let's just hope no situations arise in your game where you have to use the word addition. That would be awkward

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Let's just hope no situations arise in your game where you have to use the word addition. That would be awkward
You're lucky, we have a native translator. And drugs, lots of drugs in the zaharian world, an entire faction built upon drugs use to enhance magic learning and magical powers. So the presence of the word "addiction" could be overwhelming.

I like how clear and sharp your screenshots are. None of that horrible bloom that everybody else seems to love

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
We uploaded a new dev. diary, it explains something about how the magic works in our setting. As I said before, we plan to create a complex experience for magician, something that can go beyond the fightings.
Link
The magic system we want to implement in Zaharia will distinguish from the ones usually found in classic fantasy, as it will offer a different version of the magician, that will not be a portable siege weapon, but will play a his own role in the game consistent with his background.

The magic in Zaharia is an art which everyone can access, but few are sufficiently equipped to achieve acceptable results. Throughout history, in Zaharia world, scholars have sought to understand and explain the nature of magic, every culture and religion did it in a different way but we can identify some common points. First of all, the magic is the result of a mind capable of thinking outside the box creating its own schemes and going beyond immediate reality that appears on the surface. There are several ways to achieve this result, not surprisingly, there are both magicians who get their powers through the study of philosophy and magicians who choose the path of religious studies. This means that the magic does not arise from purely practical needs, such as combat, but its roots are tied to the religious and philosophical thought; so this should be reflected into the game, a magician must have powers consistent with his course of study, his inner growth. How does this all transfer to the gameplay? The magicians in Zaharia do not go around throwing fireballs, they will not be able to destroy strongholds by him/herself, to summon mysterious creatures or stop time; the spells available to wizards not only vary depending on the type of magician, but they will have a more consistent effect with the setting and the nature of the magician.
In Zaharia you will find four different main approaches to magic: we will find the philosophical-scientific one, born in recent years due to the emergence of scientific thought, the most mystical and shamanic approach of the Wandering Warlocks, the more holistic and instinctive approach of the Disciples of Unity and finally a more traditional one, linked to the Azhanit religion. The first three approaches will also be available to the player, while the fourth one, which is tied to the zaharian clergy, will be a prerogative only for NPCs. Each of these approaches will stand out from the others in terms of gameplay, offering different attitudes and powers, with the result to create three different gaming experiences.

As to the scientific approach, we must first consider what the recent history of Zaharia is, which saw the birth of the Zaharian Empire and the capital city transfer to Ashantir, in an area far from the influence of the conservative Azhanit clergy. Thanks to the creation of a more modern and innovative cultural environment, in Zaharia was born scientific thought, capable of renewing the classical methods in the study of nature. The study of physics, philosophy and magic ceases to be related to theology and science but is stated as a doctrine in its own right, with its own rules and its own methods. Scientific thinking also applies to magic, which is no longer treated as an esoteric discipline or a mystery, but as an object of study of the rational thought. This means that magicians do not train as fighters, but they are first and foremost scientists, regardless of whether their magical powers can have practical applications of various kinds. Mages who study magic through the scientific approach have at their disposal a wide choice of spells with the most various effects.
The Wandering Warlocks are instead a sect of magicians nomads, the legacy of a nomadic civilization that in ancient times moved to the territories of Zaharia and that over time has become sedentary and has been able to integrate seamlessly with the natives. The Wandering Warlocks are the only ones who still retain the old traditions. Although they converted centuries ago to Azhanism, their approach to this religion was very special, in fact, they integrated their previous religious beliefs with many theological precepts of the azhanit cult. The Wandering Warlocks magic comes from a mixture of metaphysical religious beliefs, meditative practices related to the use of psychoactive substances of various kinds and arcane traditions that have been preserved, not without some evolution, for centuries. The magic and rituals of the Wandering Warlocks was born for practical purposes, is much more immediate and direct than modern scientific magic, but at the same time is strongly linked to the tradition, which makes it less versatile. History teaches us, however, that progress is not linear and the Wandering Warlocks know a particular branch of magic that scientists still fail to replicate that is the Curse. The curses generate long-term adverse effects on a person and it is this persistence that is difficult to reproduce for scientists, who can create magic persistent over time almost exclusively through the use of magic items.
The Disciples of Unity are a secret sect, born after the founding of the Zaharian Empire, which offers a vision of magic, on a philosophical level, distinguishing from all the others. In the history of thought in fact there has always been a dualism collocating mind and body on different levels, a dualism fueled not only by the existence of magic, but also by azhanit theology which describes the human as a union of body and soul. For the azanit Disciples, however, after the act of creation, soul and body mix evenly in order to create the living subject, and the understanding and use of magic must necessarily pass through a better understanding of human nature, a nature that does not intend the body as a mere vehicle of the soul, but as an integral part of man himself. The Disciples of Unity own powers different from those of other mages, because their magical tradition is relatively young and needs time to develop properly.
As to the game we will have three different types of magician: the scientists-magicians will have at their disposal a large number of different spells having disparate but often indirect effects; the Wandering Warlocks will have at their disposal only four schools of magic, whose effectiveness may be increased by the proper use of various drugs, the Disciples of Unity will be able to magically strengthen their body and have access to unique and special powers. This ability applies not only to combats, on the contrary the wizards may be useful in every situation, the various spells in fact will often have useful effects in contexts of all kinds. Our aim is to offer the player a chance to take advantage of their characters not only to launch a couple of spells in the fighting, but also to use them in any situation where it would be consistent for a mage to use his powers . For example, if a door is closed, and the player does not have anyone in the group to pick it, there is no need to give up, a wizard can in fact burn down the door or reduce its integrity at molecular level. Similarly you can distract a guard, make the witness of a crime you have just done to forget, convince an individual to do something, pick up objects from a distance, identify the forms of life in the area and so on.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
The prototype it's nearly finshed. It's a prototype made with pre-alpha features, but it should show our focuses: dialogues, lots of choices, the lack of a total guidance for the player and the need to think about the events of the game, to avoid bad surprises.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Update: we may start the KS campaign very soon, but we need some feedbacks about our prototype, if someone is interested he/her can write it directly here and i'll provide a download link.
The prototype feature a stand alone plot and is assembled with pre-alpha features, so it's pretty rough and it will be useful some feedback to understand if we can feature it on the KS page.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Sure, me too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom