Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myst Zarniwoop thinks MYST doesn't have logical puzzles and has a very bad memory and is butthurt

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
And the puzzles are a JOKE compared to The Neverhood. Or old-skool games where they make no sense such as Myst.

Um all of the puzzles in Myst were logical and made sense...

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Pull random ass levers in random ass order to do something, somewhere you can't even see, no clue if you've got the random combination right?

Yes, totally sensical. All the Myst games had a large number of trial and error puzzles, and so did other games of that era.

Redlands

Arcane
Pull random ass levers in random ass order to do something, somewhere you can't even see, no clue if you've got the random combination right?

Yes, totally sensical. All the Myst games had a large number of trial and error puzzles, and so did other games of that era.

What exactly are you talking about? I don't really remember a puzzle like that in the first Myst, but I haven't played the others recently.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
What exactly are you talking about? I don't really remember a puzzle like that in the first Myst, but I haven't played the others recently.

Every single moment of every single Myst game, except maybe the last one, that one is completetable to non-autists but involves a lot of symbol sketching. Which is apparently one reason why diehard Myst fans (autists) hated it.

I played the first one a few years after it came out, and it was honestly the first adventure where I had to use a walkthrough. Shit made no sense to a non-twisted mind. It's worse than Phantasmagoria or Return to Zork.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Did you even play this game, or are you completely fucking retarded? :lol:

Seriously, even the very fist puzzle in the game there is a gigantic hint on a note on what to do, and then there is even more hints that specifically show you what the map markers are, if you aren't sure what those are. In fact, if anything, Myst has way too many clues telling you what to do (compared to say Riven, that shit sometimes got RAGE inducing...).

There is only ONE puzzle (yes ONE) that DOES have hints that are only available from another area (they are a sound clue that you can ONLY get from another Age). Or, you do not even have to know the sound clues, and can completely map the area out. But like all puzzles in Myst, if you do not know for sure what to do, you just need to look around more. That is the entire Myst experience.

EDIT: Fuck you, now you made me install realMyst (PROTIP: be sure to run it with Windows XP SP 3 compatibility). Guess it has been a while since I played this, but I have the day off today so....

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Did you even play this game, or are you completely fucking retarded?

Seriously, even the very fist puzzle in the game there is a gigantic hint on a note on what to do, and then there is even more hints that specifically show you what the map markers are, if you aren't sure what those are. In fact, if anything, Myst has way too many clues telling you what to do (compared to say Riven, that shit sometimes got RAGE inducing...).

There is only ONE puzzle (yes ONE) that DOES have hints that are only available from another area (they are a sound clue that you can ONLY get from another Age). Or, you do not even have to know the sound clues, and can completely map the area out. But like all puzzles in Myst, if you do not know for sure what to do, you just need to look around more. That is the entire Myst experience.

EDIT: Fuck you, now you made me install realMyst (PROTIP: be sure to run it with Windows XP SP 3 compatibility). Guess it has been a while since I played this, but I have the day off today so....
Of course I played it, but that was at least 15-20 years ago so I can't remember any specifics. What I do know is this sumbitch made me (a veteran adventure game player) reach for the walkthrough because clues ran out.

I guess if being a walking simulator is "the Myst experience", that explains why I never got it. I remember the first puzzle being either levers or buttons scattered all over the island with no real clue as to wtf they do.

Redlands

Arcane
Of course I played it, but that was at least 15-20 years ago so I can't remember any specifics. What I do know is this sumbitch made me (a veteran adventure game player) reach for the walkthrough because clues ran out.

I guess if being a walking simulator is "the Myst experience", that explains why I never got it. I remember the first puzzle being either levers or buttons scattered all over the island with no real clue as to wtf they do.

The very first puzzle in the game only requires you to read English and count. I can see how a veteran adventure game player would be confused by these things. But then, I'm also confused as to why someone would take their 15-year-old memories as gospel truth without trying to verify they weren't just talking out of their ass, so what do I know?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
The very first puzzle in the game only requires you to read English and count. I can see how a veteran adventure game player would be confused by these things. But then, I'm also confused as to why someone would take their 15-year-old memories as gospel truth without trying to verify they weren't just talking out of their ass, so what do I know?
I knew some fanfaggot with a sandy vagina would post something like this which is why I don't bother to get into specifics. Maybe it's the second puzzle, maybe it's the 15th, who gives a shit.

Shit was illogical and had to be figured out by random chance a lot of the time, that's the main reason I stopped playing those games in the first place. There are other offenders of course, but none to the same degree that I know of. Armikrog has one such instance, that I've seen.

Redlands

Arcane
I knew some fanfaggot with a sandy vagina would post something like this which is why I don't bother to get into specifics. Maybe it's the second puzzle, maybe it's the 15th, who gives a shit.

Shit was illogical and had to be figured out by random chance a lot of the time, that's the main reason I stopped playing those games in the first place. There are other offenders of course, but none to the same degree that I know of. Armikrog has one such instance, that I've seen.

You don't go into specifics because, by your own words, you're going off of fifteen year old memories of a game and you apparently don't know what the fuck you're talking about. You start talking about random shit, but the switch puzzle is literally spelled out for you for the most part:

1. Find and read the super-obvious note, which tells you to count the number of Marker Switches on the island and put it into the machine in the chamber by the docks.
  2. Explore the island and count the Marker Switches. For people like Zarniwoop who apparently struggle with counting: it's 8.
  3. Put this number into the machine in the chamber by the docks. Watch a cutscene where you get informed about something called the Tower Rotation.
  4. Look around the island and go into the library if you've not done so before; there's a painting on there that says Tower Rotation. Clicking on it has an effect, just like every other painting in there seems to have, and its really obvious when something's happening.
  5. Doing that and exploring behind the bookshelf in the library, accessed by one of the other paintings, let's you in on the Tower of Clues that basically hand-holds you through getting into most of the other Ages. The books in the libary - the ones you can read, anyway - do the rest.

I mean, if you were to complain about the organ puzzle in the space ship being a pain in the ass because the input tended to slip a note if you weren't careful (at least, in the original version)l, that's one thing. Or that if you were hard of hearing, then you were fucking screwed on the Age connected to the spaceship, or that the maze was far too slow to navigate if you'd not done Ages in the right order and missed a clue (though that wasn't necessary to complete it), and was slow even when you know what you were doing. Or if you had to play it not in your native language and so didn't understand that first clue. I don't mind fucking complaining about Myst, or any of the problems I had with the sequels; but for fuck's sake complain about the game's actual faults, not one you just pulled out of your ass: complaining about puzzles being illogical in a game when most of the shit is predictable, mechanical and with so many solutions spoon-fed to you just fucking baffles me.

My only conclusion is that you either don't know adventure games as well as you claim to and object to doing the few real gameplay elements you're expected to partake in (exploring, experimenting, writing down clues as you go), or you just like making up shit about games you don't like based upon what other people have said about it. When you start sounding like John Walker when talking about adventure games, then you've got a fucking problem.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Um Skyrim is the best RPG ever made.
Um Max Payne The Movie is much better than the games.
Um Vatican City is the largest country of all time.

Wow, posting bullshit is fun and easy. I mean I wouldn't make a thread about it and call everyone who doesn't agree with my bullshit butthurt, but whatever floats your boat.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Um Skyrim is the best RPG ever made.
Um Max Payne The Movie is much better than the games.
Um Vatican City is the largest country of all time.

Wow, posting bullshit is fun and easy. I mean I wouldn't make a thread about it and call everyone who doesn't agree with my bullshit butthurt, but whatever floats your boat.

We have already sited specific examples, would you like us to explain further on how much you are a complete dumbfuck?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
We have already sited specific examples, would you like us to explain further on how much you are a complete dumbfuck?
Says the guy who can't spell "cited" properly. :smug:

You're acting like I said ur mom is bad in bed. I just don't like random-ass, luck-based puzzles in adventure games, no biggie.

Redlands

Arcane
You're acting like I said ur mom is bad in bed. I just don't like random-ass, luck-based puzzles in adventure games, no biggie.

Most people don't, but you really haven't explained what that had to do with Myst that made you drag it into the conversation in the first place.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The problem with MYST isn't that the puzzles don't have clues, they do have clues --even if they are sometimes rather vague--, it's that the game world is like a theme-park filled with puzzles, while at the same time you've got a story delivered through journals and cutscenes which doesn't really connect with the world and puzzles. These two portions simply feel separate and the world itself isn't very believable with this shitload of contraptions lying around in every nook and cranny blocking your way in some manner.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Myst series has some of the best puzzles in the genre, hands down. As the first game in the series, Myst may be a bit artificial, but it's never illogical. Try Riven if you want a good sense of progression combined with great puzzles in your adventure game (and if you just want one of the best adventure games of all time).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom