Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zelda: Leaks of the kingdom thread

This will probably be the greatest game ever made. I don't say that often.

Btw has anyone played Link's Awakening? How is it?
The original is a decent, albeit quite short, 2D Zelda. I'm of the unpopular opinion that the Oracle games (which are very close to being TCs/asset flips) are overall superior.

The Switch remake is hot fucking garbage. $60 for an 8 hour game that looks like shit and will occasionally dip into single-digit FPS on its native system. Unambiguously one of the worst first-party titles Nintendo has ever put out.

If you actually owned a computer I would tell you to just emulate the DX version on VBA but...

SumDrunkGuy

I found the Gameboy Color version (Link's Awakening DX) pretty cool when I was a kid. Don't know about the Switch remake but I don't like what they did to the graphics.
That's funny. I think the visuals are the coolest thing about it.

S.torch

Arbiter
It's funny how Majora's Mask was sent to be made in only a year, and in only one year taking the already very well done work of Ocarina of Time, the great Koizumi made what it is to this date the best Zelda of all. But here we're in 2022 waiting for what would be something similar to what was Majora's Mask.

qwertyuiop666

Literate
Hopefully they don't listen to the "it's not a Zelda game" opinion and it's better than that Skyward Sword crap.

There should've been a massive traditional dungeon after you beat the divine beasts where you either go deeper inside the creature or it crashes into a mountain and reveals a giant dungeon with some traditional-ass shit inside. What the fuck was that giant ruin down south that had nothing in it? Those divine beasts sucked ass but would be okay as a prologue to something more substantial.

The game was already bloated but all these new Zelda games are a fucking one and done for me from here on out. Especially BOTW. Who in the fuck would re-play that? Obviously poor little retarded children who have to kill time. Why don't these fuckers just get real good at memorizing chess tactics and then pour flammable sewage onto their heads and light a stinky White Owl. Twilight Princess on gamecube took about 40 hours over two weeks when I was 23 and I already knew I'd never revisit it. Most I remember now about TP (for my bunghole) was that stupid dungeon where you get a wand that controls a statue and it has zero use for the remainder of the game. There was also that dumb wheel thing. Second hookshot was bullshit. 16 years later and I still feel like bitching about fucking gamecube shit. Meanwhile BOTW was 100 hours of bullshit. Skyward Sword also had that fucking repeating demise boss fight that sucked and that part where you had to swim and collect notes that fucking sucked. Zelda fucking sucks. Eat my fucking ass. Pink sea salt on my asshole.

Delterius

Arcane
It's funny how Majora's Mask was sent to be made in only a year, and in only one year taking the already very well done work of Ocarina of Time, the great Koizumi made what it is to this date the best Zelda of all. But here we're in 2022 waiting for what would be something similar to what was Majora's Mask.
the sad thing is that the majora's mask remake was actually dumbed down. something about the director regretting the way it worked.

I generally agree with the sentiment that MM is the best Zelda title and TP is massively overrated, but as is always the case with Zelda games, you can cherry-pick arguments to your heart’s content (except for Skyward Sword. That game fucking sucks).

For example: MM had overall weak dungeons, and TP had one of the best ever seen in a 3D Zelda game (Arbiter’s Grounds).

By that same token I think BOTW is slightly overrated (although it inarguably saved the franchise after the dumpster fire that was SS), especially when it comes to the disappointing dungeon design, but Hyrule Castle is fucking awesome and one of the best examples of level design seen outside of Deus Ex. Hopefully the sequel takes its cues from there.

Wunderbar

Arcane
For example: MM had overall weak dungeons, and TP had one of the best ever seen in a 3D Zelda game (Arbiter’s Grounds).

I loved MM's dungeons, my only complaint is that there were too few of them. Stone tower is my favorite among 3D Zeldas.

TP's dungeons were largely OK, and both Snowpeak and City in the Sky were better than Arbiter's Grounds.

I loved MM's dungeons, my only complaint is that there were too few of them. Stone tower is my favorite among 3D Zeldas.

TP's dungeons were largely OK, and both Snowpeak and City in the Sky were better than Arbiter's Grounds.
I agree Stone Tower is great, but outside of that I pretty strongly disagree. Snowpeak in TP is a novel experiment in making a more comedic dungeon, but it doesn’t really work for me. I straight-up hate City in the Sky and would consider it the worst dungeon in the game after Temple of Time (which is very justly derided for being garbage-tier).

Zelda dungeon design is weird and persnickety though. Unlike most games I don’t want my Zelda to be particularly difficult or taxing. I just want to have a fairly easy-going time and occasionally think “oh that’s a clever bit of puzzle/level/art design”. Despite it’s vilification, I think the Water Temple from OoT is near the sweet spot for me. Contrast it with the water temple from MM which is just… kind of a chore. It’s filled with one-way passageways and other tedium inducing filler.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I agree Stone Tower is great, but outside of that I pretty strongly disagree.
Nah they're all pretty good
The forest dungeon alone is possibly the best "woodland" themed dungeon of the series

I straight-up hate City in the Sky and would consider it the worst dungeon in the game after Temple of Time
City in the Sky was good, one of the best dungeons in TP
If nothing else, the art and atmosphere was pretty unique:

While TP was a derivative game, it can't be said it wasn't memorable
It had a significant amount of cool ideas and moments - plus the dungeons were fine

Water Temple from OoT ... MM
Now that I think about it, I just realised TP's Water Temple was mix and matching of both those dungeons
Like TP's it was a tower shaped dungeon whose goal lies at the bottom, but like MM the primary gimmick was the control of the water flow
Also Link's movement underwater, was done both by using the iron boots to sink to the pool's floor and using a magick costume that allowed Link to swim with greater finesse

I just want to have a fairly easy-going time and occasionally think “oh that’s a clever bit of puzzle/level/art design”.
I am completely disagree with this though

To clarify, I don't want these games to be Zelda II hard - although I welcome and appreciate BotW early to mid game "lethality"
I just want to them to keep me enganged - to make use my head, you know

Something which doesn't happen when they play like you've just described
Because you've essentially just described Wind Waker (among many other weaker Zelda titles) - and I absolutely fucking hate WW
And while I agree that when these games are like this they're not bad, but they're also not good - what they are is utterly mediocre, bland, generic, predictable, safe and just too easy

OoT, MM, TP - despite having not played these games in many years, I still remeber bits from every dungeon, I still remember times whan I was excited, frusted and even enlightened (as in finally figuring out the answer)
On other hand, despite playing WW at the heigh of my enthusiasm for the series during my late childhood/early teens, I barely remember jack shit about it
In fact what I most remember is general boredom and ultimately a disappointment that would sour me on these games until BotW

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I had no idea Wind Waker development had been so rough and rushed
It explains alot

No need to see the whole video, it runs out interesting info at 10:30
Some of the more insigthful take aways, is that the vastness of the sea is basically to load new terrain and the tri-force shard treasure is entirely due to the strict deadline

The game also seens to have enough cut content to partially make a sequel

https://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_The_Wind_Waker

S.torch

Arbiter
the sad thing is that the majora's mask remake was actually dumbed down. something about the director regretting the way it worked.

More than regretting about it, because thanks to the artistic aspect the game became very enjoyable to play again, it's true that it could have been more ambitious. In fact, this face wash ended up destroying some mechanics and being an exclusive of a dead mobile console, while games like Twilight Princess and Wind Waker that are infinitely less interesting have gotten ports to every single Nintendo tabletop console. It's like there are people on Nintendo that don't want to give them the visibility they deserve.

The game that just released after Majora was Wind Waker, in its time detested and currently has reared its head because fans of Nintendo have become less demanding. Twilight was a try to go back to the darkness and the director interpreted it as stripping away any colours of its aesthetics. Skyward Sword was the last nail in the coffin of this trilogy. And BOTW came to win time because after many years without a Zelda this could daze people who think that searching for potatoes in a giant map is fun.

Last edited:

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
a94d0c9de58bc05e.jpeg

S.torch

Arbiter
I'm thinking that every time this is closer to Skyward Sword while pretending to be a sequel like Majora's Mask was.

Zanzoken

Arcane
NGL bros I am pretty hyped for this

BOTW had its flaws, but it also did a lot of things really well, and was just a fun world to explore and play around in

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Other than the release date and name, this trailer didn't show anything we already didn't know from last year's trailer
What do you actually want more than a release date? It's gonna be botw2, you already know if you will like the game or not.

Derringer

Prophet
Looks like more bland open world shit with a ton of annoying climbing.

Fuck that.
I just turned off stamina like a filthy casual since I didn't care about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom