Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zorbus (D&D-inspired roguelike)

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
Release 26
  • New command: Rest until (Stamina) restored. By pressing D or NUMPAD_DIVIDE you rest until Stamina is fully restored or until interrupted by hostile creatures. If you already are at full Stamina you rest for 100 rounds or until interrupted. Resting can be stopped by pressing any key.
  • New item: Scroll of Magic Mapping. Reading this scroll reveals the layout of the current dungeon level. Areas that are hidden behind secret doors are not explored but the secret doors themselves are revealed. It's easiest to use autoexplore to enter these areas.
  • Some small tweaks. Typos fixed.
Updating is easy if you set "Check for updates" on from settings. Restart the game and it should inform about the update. Save files are not compatible between versions so finish any unfinished saved games.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It's really good, particularly the sound effects when fighting, exploding mushrooms and the voices, goblins and orcs laughing really adds to the immersion.

I'm also a big fan of your races pool + specific characteristics, centaurs charging, halfings being finally useful ...

It's also great not having to bother with food and last but not least, intelligent monsters setting the alarm is also an interesting mechanism.

Very good work.

The Red Knight

Erudite
Joonas
I keep getting these errors for recruited characters:
R0YgZT6.png

If not on the same level I recruit them, then soon enough on the next. Seems to happen randomly when they're about to engage some opponent.

I do stuff like giving them better armor or weapon (usually of the same category), spare or infinite ammo (or a bow instead of a sling if I have ammo for that instead), etc., but they're not having problems with using these in combat or switching between melee and ranged, and I'm also fairly certain I had one recruit crash the game without me touching their inventory (I think it was some lizard or shaman or otherwise green sprite? happened a few minutes after getting them so I don't remember who it was exactly). Sometimes I leave them their old stuff in the inventory, and sometimes they might switch back to it (also had one case where the NPC would drop everything they had after a while - I assume that one might be WAD though, like they felt encumbered or something?), but it doesn't seem to be preventing these errors from happening eventually.

It also seems like saves are getting deleted immediately on loading the game, because I initially tried to circumvent losing characters to these crashes by creating a save (they happen early enough that I don't need to "save and quit" otherwise), but then the crashes leave me without the save (saving the game, loading it and then alt+f4-ing results in the same). I eventually noticed the options menu can be scrolled down and found the leaderboards option there and it said something about savescumming prevention so I thought it's because of that and unchecked it but it still kept deleting my saves. Then I thought maybe the setting gets stored for the last played/past characters purposes, so I created one from scratch but it changed nothing. If you can't/don't intend to "fix" saves (autosaving each turn?) or add some offline/unranked mode that's less punitive, then maybe add some code that'd let these errors be ignored without shutting down the game (maybe default the affected recruit's action to wait or follow after an error?)

And two minor dungeon layout things:
- one time I started in a room with two doors already open and after one step six opponents walked in and slaughtered/shot my character (I'm fine with potentially lethal groups of opponents guarding rooms next to the starting one but that run was lost from the start)
- one time I set off a teleport trap and it moved me into the last unexplored room of the level that was sealed with locked door I had no means to open (possibly WAD but quitting to main menu instead of getting game over->play again screen is meh)

_____

Other than the crashing, I'm liking it a lot. :)

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
Damn, that crash sounds bad. You're the first to report a crash bug for a long time. I've tested the upcoming release a lot myself, recruited a lot of creatures and never got that kind of crash. I'm guessing you're playing latest release 27?

The game tries to place the player to a peaceful area and close the doors leading to it but on some maps this is impossible.
I think I've fixed that teleport into locked room bug but I'll take another look at it.

The Red Knight

Erudite
Yup, release 27.

Just noticed the error log txt in the folder.
All entries have this attached to the error message:
GAME_Main, handle_rounds ->
GAME_AI, ai_act ->
GAME_AI, ai_attack ->
GAME_Combat, ranged_attack ->
GAME_Item, adjust_item_amount ->
GAME_Item, is_item_ok
And in case the IDs mean something, these are errors since yesterday (deleted the older game folder already, but that was version 27 too):
No item_plan for being item 10 () on being 4! (be_recruitable_aasimar)
No item_plan for being item 10 () on being 4! (be_recruitable_aasimar) <- duplicate?
No item_plan for being item 8 () on being 159! (be_lizardman)
No item_plan for being item 8 () on being 159! (be_lizardman) <- duplicate?
No item_plan for being item 11 () on being 82! (be_recruitable_dwarf_warrior)
No item_plan for being item 2 () on being 40! (be_elf_male)
Could they be running out of ammo completely or not knowing how to refill from the exact same ammo item given via item trade (these don't seem to auto-merge with equipped ammo)? edit: paid attention to these two scenarios a few times and they had no problem doing that, so I don't know. They don't seem to have trouble with just switching between ranged and melee as I see the hover text about that sometimes.

edit2: and another minor thing, got a drow recruit with two swords but could only change the first one to another weapon, and removing the off-hand one wouldn't let me reequip it (shields only). Didn't wait to see if he reequips it on his own. Possibly WAD to keep the player from giving him two strong weapons?

Last edited:

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
Thanks. I fixed a bug related to that several releases ago but something is still causing errors. And so oddly often.
Does this happen in the beginning of the game when NPCs haven't yet learned Dualshot / Multishot -talents? Does this happen only with NPCs that you have recruited?

The drow equip -thing: Did you try to equip a weapon from the right side of the inventory by pressing enter? From there you can only equip shields to the off-hand but if you switch to the left side of the inventory (equipment slots list), select the off-hand slot you should be able to equip a weapon if the character has the dualwield talent. If this doesn't work then it's a bug.

The Red Knight

Erudite
Does this happen in the beginning of the game when NPCs haven't yet learned Dualshot / Multishot -talents? Does this happen only with NPCs that you have recruited?
Only with recruitables (I haven't gotten any trouble with summon room skeletons yet but they die pretty fast so I don't know about them; no trouble with tamed animals and other creatures without an inventory).

How do I check what talents they have (and would I get some notification when they learn it)? But likely without them because I only got to dungeon level 3 a few times so far (either I get a nice run that crashes as early as level 1, die trying to tame an elephant, or die to triggering something nasty while looking for recruits because at the moment I'm adamant on sticking to my frail commander build and the game is still very enjoyable despite not getting far).
The drow equip -thing: Did you try to equip a weapon from the right side of the inventory by pressing enter? From there you can only equip shields to the off-hand but if you switch to the left side of the inventory (equipment slots list), select the off-hand slot you should be able to equip a weapon if the character has the dualwield talent. If this doesn't work then it's a bug.
First I tried replacing both weapons by equipping from inventory but it was only swtiching the first/main one, then I tried equipping from the "equipped" column but nothing was showing on the list as possible to equip (he had no shield on him at the time), then I accidentally unequipped the off-hand sword, then I tried reequipping it both from inventory (which only switched the main-hand weapon) and from the equipped column, then I gave him a few shields and that was the only thing he could put there. If he's supposed to learn a talent for that eventually, then he probably didn't have it yet (I found him on either dungeon level 1 or 2), though he did have those two swords equipped by default when I found him.

_______

I had a quite lucky run with all sorts of recruits throwing themselves at me and I stocked them with various kinds of ammo. Recruits with multiple types of ammo were fine (including those that started without any ranged weapon and got one from me), and so was one drow (this one spawned with a sword and a large shield) that I gave an infinite arrow (I didn't find more of those). Also lucky because I got quite far without crashes. Eventually the drow died to an encounter with a naga in a chokepoint (together with most of my party except one elf with a mix of arrows) but later on that level (3rd) I found yet another elf, whom I gave that infinite arrow. Before that everything was fine with all sorts of missiles flying around (including the infinite arrow, and with recruits running out of ammo or switching to differently-enchanted arrows), but this time it crashed after a few battles:
LdpWRpm.png

Positioning behind the popup (not sure why the PC and mimic sprites disappeared after the popup showed):
z4uHC0P.png

The battle with the (chest) mimic initially started with the rest of the party off-screen and the crash happened when the elf (green one) saw the mimic. The other elf in the party was carrying normal enchanted arrows and didn't see the mimic yet. I don't recall whether the green elf shot at any point before that, but there was another battle against a mimic (door one) before that, albeit with ranged LoS blocked:
UApSsZ2.png
_______

If friendly mushrooms hit me with the poison cloud while targetting an enemy next to me, they turn hostile but their HP counters don't immediately turn red (so it's a turn or two of greens attacking me).

AoE clouds also seem to turn party members hostile to each other, like here I had one elf trigger a mercenary recruit from the teleport shop/level, which resulted in another party elf (not visible) joining the fight on the side of the first elf (while all three stayed friendly to me and other party members):
uSzM0ok.png
The mercenary had lots of fancy +3 items but eventually succumbed to the storm clouds. BTW is that OK that I got him through the shop on the first dungeon level, equipment included? He mostly single-handedly carried me to the third dungeon level, and that's with 100% exploration and killing everything that moved and didn't join me.

_______

ps48nzx.png
Elves also can't resist the urge to equip chain armor they find on the ground if they're wearing anything else (usually happens because I just took it off them and dropped next to them, but it doesn't have to be theirs), even if their new elven chain armor is better, and even if they already have one in the inventory (the one in the inventory they seem to ignore / not auto-equip, but will drop it together with what they had equipped). Would it be possible to add some "force equip" command for the player to use that'd disable them trying to find a different equipment piece for a given slot?

_______

Love the amount of secret rooms within secret rooms and that items on the ground can spawn with a floor trap below them.

_______

Summoned mushroom people subconsciously knowing where the nearest mushroom field is is intentional?
nhnkGo0.png

XiNBxSr.png
_______

45SXImj.png
This summoning room summoned two friendly zombies and after that flipping the switch does nothing but is marked as active on the map (I tried removing already present corpses from the floor as per the floor message but not killing the summons I got, as so far summoning rooms could be used several with varying results and then the switch would disappear). WAD?

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
Thanks again!

I've an autoplay feature in the dev version of the game which automatically plays the game over and over logging any errors. I've set up the autoplay so that the character has 3 companions and one of the companions has an everlasting ammo. I've let it run through the game for over 500 times and can not reproduce the ammunition bug. Not by playing by normally either. I haven't changed that part of the code for 6 months or so. No one else has reported that bug so I'm quite lost here.

Some clarifications:
- You can't currently see what talents your companions have but for example dualshot has an animation and a popup text.
- Recruitable creatures have a chance to spawn on the shop level so that's ok. In the next release their equipment there will be max +1 items.
- Those summoned mushrooms are actually teleported from the current map to the teleport room. So they know where their home is. The challenge switch rooms actually summon creatures.

In the next release:
- Recruited creatures won't change any other equipped item except ammunition if player has set that item.
- Friendly fire from area of effect spells etc. damages recruited creatures but won't make them angry at you.
- The animate switch didn't work if the corpses were in an other area than the switch, and also the effect range was too short, fixed.

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
It's written in Pascal. Yeah, not your typical language of choice in 2020, but the only one I can really do anything with.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
i have to comment on the thread title: all roguelikes are D&D inspired by definition, duh

also, :love: for honoring the legacy of ol' Niklaus

getter77

Augur
Heh, might not be a bad idea to at least swap some war stories with Kornel on that front if only to get him up for some air from grappling mightily with Jupiter Hell.

The Red Knight

Erudite
BTW that Malwarebytes thing you mention in the changelog is not actual malware warning but them finding your game unique/unusual enough (because it's different somehow from their database of non-malware software, and not necessarily corresponding to actual malware):

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/detections/machinelearning-anomalous-100/
MachineLearning/Anomalous.100% is Malwarebytes’ generic detection name for files that are flagged by Malwarebytes’ Machine Learning module as 100% anomalous. You may also see lower percentages in your scan results. The percentage is used to show how big the deviation from the examined file is from the legitimate files in the training set. Where a percentage of 100% means they look completely dissimilar from our training set of legitimate files.

Malwarebytes detects these files to protect customers from zero-day malware.
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/238670-machinelearninganomalous-detections-and-explanation/
We at Malwarebytes chose a very different approach to machine learning, called “anomaly detection”. Instead of trying to “learn the differences” in general between all goodware and all malware, anomaly detection tries to quantify “how similar to a training set of goodware” a particular file looks. Instead of trying to classify a picture as dog-or-not-dog, an anomaly detection model would score each picture as “this looks 85% similar to the dogs I’ve seen before”. If the score is small enough, perhaps 1-3%, the model would say “there is only a 1-3% chance this is a dog, based on my prior knowledge of the dogs I’ve seen before. Therefore, this is either a really weird-looking new kind of dog, or not a dog at all.”

(...)

Detections by our anomaly detection engine are identified as "anomalous" files, not as "malware". Typically a false positive arises when a piece of legitimate software has never been seen before across our entire userbase of tens of millions of users, and was written using techniques or tools commonly used by malware, such as very old versions of Visual Basic, executable packers or obfuscators, or the lack of a valid digital signature. It is not surprising that our models often consider such files to look anomalous.

Reportedly you can register on their forum and ask what's wrong with your files and they'll whitelist them and/or tell you what exactly is triggering the warning.

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
Release 29 (02-Mar-2020) http://www.zorbus.net
  • AI tweaking:
    • Consumable / device usage tweaked, especially for companions.
    • AI tries first to target hostile creatures that are not summoned or animated.
    • AI can unlit its lightsource when fleeing.
    • AI can unlit furniture lightsources to ensure safe resting / sleeping in dark areas.
    • Companion morale presets tweaked, hopefully resulting in better survivability.
  • Killing friendly creatures no longer gives experience points.
  • Weakened the necrotic damage effect that can happen from sitting on a throne or drinking from a well. The old effect could instakill characters in full health.
  • Updated the descriptions of the item enchantment scrolls:
    • Armors: Every enchantment point decreases the enchantment chance by 15 percentage points.
    • Weapons: Every enchantment point, elemental damage point, holy property, vampiric property and on-hit effect decreases the enchantment chance by 10 percentage points (used to be 15).
  • Log entry when your companion learns a new talent (companions level up at the same time as the player).
  • Fixed a bug where animated / summoned creatures would sometimes disappear from view after animation.
  • Fixed a small bug in ASCII mode.
  • A new lore book, "Legends & Lore", a list of ascended players.
  • Some typos fixed.
Already a couple of god-tier wins in the leaderboard: http://wins.zorbus.net

Joonas

Arcane
Developer

This didn't get in time for the April 1st update, but added an unlockable game mode to the game: if you manage to get the ultimate ending in under 3 hours, you'll unlock a full Star Wars -themed mode with open world exploration, thousands of planets, quests and whatnot.

eXalted

Arcane
This didn't get in time for the April 1st update, but added an unlockable game mode to the game: if you manage to get the ultimate ending in under 3 hours, you'll unlock a full Star Wars -themed mode with open world exploration, thousands of planets, quests and whatnot.
Actually looks damn good. Needs to become a full game. So weird there are no good Star Wars roguelikes out there.

:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom