Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I found mask of the betrayer too boring and complicated with all those crafting shit and hunger status

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
6a2.jpg

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'll just note I spend twice as much time creating characters for NWN2 MotB than actually playing the game and finishing it. I think I created, started, created, created, started, created, created, created, then finally finished the game. I need to reinstall that game to create some more characters.

I know, I'm a sad, sad man.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I'm still enjoying this but the middle is kinda boring. It starts with some really hard battles. Then for the past few sessions I've just been doing quests and all the enemies are stupidly easy. It's a real bore. I took Okku as my tank and most fights he can kill everything by himself, I just run my 2 wizzies away and they can watch. Also I gave the Cleric items that regenerate health and absorb so much damage that she can tank a bunch of trash enemies and take no damage.

The camera really sucks. I think when I played it last time I set up the camera to be like a 3rd person action game. The camera follows the character and I controlled the character with WASD. But when I tried that this time it felt too restrictive so I'm playing with free camera. But it keeps getting stuck on trees and stuff and in dungeons on the roof. It gives a good overview of the battle but it's a pain to control. Also when you want to travel you can't see far ahead so it takes a million clicks to travel across a map. Or you can rotate it and then click in the distance, but rotating is kind of weird, fish-eye ish. And it doesn't let you click that far away. If it wasn't for Speed Hack I would have quit, but that makes travelling much faster.

The writing is surprisingly good. I hate stories and dialogue in games, it's the bane of gaming to me. I angrily mash 1 and escape through pretty much everything. But in this game there are some varied dialogue choices and interesting characters and situations. Very wordy though but I make do with 1 mashing.

The loot is retarded. Every fight is 20 spirit wolves or some shit, you blast them all to death, and then their loot doesn't appear for a while because the engine is old and puny. The music is slow to react to the fact that you won the fight too... So after every fight you get this weird moment where the music is going ape shit but you are just standing around waiting for loot to appear. And then you gotta click all those individual little bags... All 20 of them! No wonder gaming never got as big as it should have with shit like that in games. Also there's no shortcut keys so you click the loot bag then a window pops up and you have to click on the loot all button. Then repeat 20 times. Every fight! Fucking nerds. We need them for the depth and programming but someone else needs to handle the actual moment to moment quality of life -.-

Also 99% of what you loot are the stupid essences. There are hardly any items and the stuff you can buy from merchants is not very interesting either.

I know most of this is NWN2's fault and not MOTB but still. This is why we can't have nice things. Nerds make the best mechanics but they are clunky and fiddly. And corporate shitbags make the slickest games but they are retarded. It's sad I never got to see a game like this but with Dragon Age Origins engine. That would have been cool...

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Essences are good though. It's not a great solution but at least you can customize your shit more easily than with the crafting in base NWN2, which was garbo.

Gargaune

Arcane
The camera really sucks. I think when I played it last time I set up the camera to be like a 3rd person action game. The camera follows the character and I controlled the character with WASD. But when I tried that this time it felt too restrictive so I'm playing with free camera. But it keeps getting stuck on trees and stuff and in dungeons on the roof. It gives a good overview of the battle but it's a pain to control. Also when you want to travel you can't see far ahead so it takes a million clicks to travel across a map. Or you can rotate it and then click in the distance, but rotating is kind of weird, fish-eye ish. And it doesn't let you click that far away. If it wasn't for Speed Hack I would have quit, but that makes travelling much faster.
Read the word of Gargaune and be saved.

The music is slow to react to the fact that you won the fight too... So after every fight you get this weird moment where the music is going ape shit but you are just standing around waiting for loot to appear.
That's because the combat round is still running. You only exit initiative at the beginning of the next round, and that's when the music stops too. Admittedly, it's a mild annoyance in both NWNs.

Also 99% of what you loot are the stupid essences.
This is why you're annoyed with the loot, they should've made essences into sporadic but more powerful drops. As it is, it plays like picking up Goblin Axes at the start of IWD2. Still, that was the state of the art back then, Quick Loot wasn't a thing yet.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I'd like gear more if I didn't take Okku. He can't use gear apart from rings so I should have made my own tank so I could play with weapons and armor and stuff. The Cleric came with gear already and I gave her a few things that made her like Superman. There have been a few good items for my Wizzy and Safiya at least. Some rings and belts that have spells you can cast each day, really helps with restricted resting.

It has lots of problems some good RPGing too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom