Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: PHARAOH

Falksi

Arcane
I chucked hundreds of hours in Total War: Rome years ago. Loved it, but have definitely worn it out now.

Playing TW: Shogun 2 and, whilst there's been some brilliant advances, fuckinghell is it bogged down with bullshit too. Marriage, Naval Battles, Bribary etc. it can take hours just to get to a battle in a campaign, and I'm all about the combat.

With this in mind, which of the series do you fans of it recommend? I'd like more of what TW: Rome offered, but just with better AI and a deeper unit set really. All the bullshit in-between is just padding to me.
Can't you just play the custom or historical battles mode?
Sure, but it would be nice to have some resource management in there regards building armies etc. Like a standard strategy game. To me a that's how an RTS should be ala Dune, X-com, Command & Conquer etc. Shogun 2 takes it into silly realms to the point where you can play it for hours and not even see a land battle. It wouldn't be so bad if auto-resolving navy battles worked, but I have vastly superior units crushed constantly by doing that.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
How can you get bogged down in Shogun 2, that game is constantly battle after battle, the AI is very aggressive on the map even on normal difficulty. Also Rome Remastered is terrible, better to play original.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Rome Remastered is better than the original atm, with the possible exception of the UI and the look of the trees. RR has all the modding potential in the world, something that isn't the case with the original.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Rome Remastered is better than the original atm, with the possible exception of the UI and the look of the trees. RR has all the modding potential in the world, something that isn't the case with the original.

Only difference between them is the UI and the remastered is terrible so it's better.
what?
Even the graphics look better in the original as they are not looking smeared with vaseline all over. On top of that all mods for Rome Remastered have its UI, yeah no thanks.

Falksi

Arcane
How can you get bogged down in Shogun 2, that game is constantly battle after battle, the AI is very aggressive on the map even on normal difficulty. Also Rome Remastered is terrible, better to play original.
Literally played it last night for 2 hours and had 1 navy battle on Normal difficulty. Which itself went on for ages.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
With this in mind, which of the series do you fans of it recommend? I'd like more of what TW: Rome offered, but just with better AI and a deeper unit set really. All the bullshit in-between is just padding to me.
Total conversion mods for Rome and Medieval 2.

Just browse TWCenter and ModDB, and pick whatever setting you like best.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Man I opened up Rome after noodling in Atilla for a week. It's so smooth, the ui is so clean. It's gaming crack, no bullshit just WAR.

Pity they chased fancy graphics over all from that point.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Feeling pretty vindicated now. Glad to see people realizing something I realized with Empire, CA's staff not only are terrible developers they're terrible people too. Excludes CA Brisbane because they were dead by then and I know people that know people, they are way higher class than CA UK and still pisses me off what Sega did to them. And naturally JVD is exempt as well he's cool.

Special meantion, Jack Lusted you're a massive cunt. Oh and as well special mention: CA Will and CA Craig you're also both total pieces of shit absolutely the worst people you'll ever encounter.
Hey, I was digging thru Mobygames and saw that the Australia branch actually made the engine for Rome and Medieval 2 and then when SEGA bought CA they made them do Stormrise (that console RTS that was terrible) and when that failed they canned the studio. What shocked me is that the people that made Medieval 2 just stopped working in gaming, period. Like WTF, fuck these SEGA retards, everything that went downhill for Total War is mostly their fault. I'm actually stunned, people that pushed for all the insane battle engine with 10k+ entities that have mass, acceleration, collision and all the eye for the small details are not making any games since 2007.
:despair:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Only difference between them is the UI and the remastered is terrible so it's better.
what?
Even the graphics look better in the original as they are not looking smeared with vaseline all over. On top of that all mods for Rome Remastered have its UI, yeah no thanks.
Modding limits have been lifted in Rome Remastered. The UI is worse, yes, but the gameplay and content potential for mods is much bigger. Larger maps, more units, more provinces, more factions, more new gameplay features through scripting, etc.

Mitleser2020

Scholar
Hey, I was digging thru Mobygames and saw that the Australia branch actually made the engine for Rome and Medieval 2 and then when SEGA bought CA they made them do Stormrise (that console RTS that was terrible) and when that failed they canned the studio. What shocked me is that the people that made Medieval 2 just stopped working in gaming, period. Like WTF, fuck these SEGA retards, everything that went downhill for Total War is mostly their fault. I'm actually stunned, people that pushed for all the insane battle engine with 10k+ entities that have mass, acceleration, collision and all the eye for the small details are not making any games since 2007.
:despair:

And so it happened again.

singapore-actual-surrender.jpg

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron

Some very interesting comments. Like these from a youtuber that has around 100k subs and checking his channel he sound british enough so I believe him.

BBHlZFB.jpg

HwNFs2J.jpg

Mike Simpson the main Total War guy has not been close to the games since Shogun 2. Well that answers my question what the hell happened between Med 2 and Rome 2, there was still somebody that had inkling of soul in UK CA and SEGA pushed him out it seems and kept him as figurehead.
3 TW, one Sci Fi and one 3rd person games in development.
Some problems in Total War teams, the main guy for the next game left and the project is in shambles.

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I mean when you sell out an indy company to a corpo you can confidently write it off. We have seen it oh so many times. Thing is there seems to be no inclination among the founding teams to keep being indy and keep doing what they do best. People seem to just wanting to cash out and watch tv instead of working, however surprising that may be. My message is it’s not about some members being fired, or the core team evaporating from the company, it is always about a small game dev gaining enough success to become worth of many bucks and they it seems never hesitate to get those in exchange for their independence. After that it’s not about games anymore.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
What shocked me is that the people that made Medieval 2 just stopped working in gaming, period.
Yeah I know some of them ended up in games journalism and others just left the industry entirely. Same exact thing happened with Team Bondi as well.
It keeps happening here and it really pisses me off because we're losing people who belong in this industry, who are there for the right reasons and love the work they do. The Medieval 2 team clearly loved working on that game as we've seen from the behind the scenes footage.

Azdul

Magister
What shocked me is that the people that made Medieval 2 just stopped working in gaming, period.
Yeah I know some of them ended up in games journalism and others just left the industry entirely. Same exact thing happened with Team Bondi as well.
It keeps happening here and it really pisses me off because we're losing people who belong in this industry, who are there for the right reasons and love the work they do. The Medieval 2 team clearly loved working on that game as we've seen from the behind the scenes footage.
There was a MAJOR drama and power struggle within Creative Assembly even before SEGA took over. Working for Team Bondi meant about 40% of standard IT pay for 80 hours a week.

People don't want such crap in their lives. And talented people have a choice.

There is less drama in purely technical studios - but porting between PC, Playstation, Xbox and Switch is no more exciting than working outside gaming. For slightly worse money.

As long as there will be flocks of widely-eyed fresh out of college guys eager to work on videogames - the videogame industry will never be normal.

Azdul

Magister
I mean when you sell out an indy company to a corpo you can confidently write it off. We have seen it oh so many times. Thing is there seems to be no inclination among the founding teams to keep being indy and keep doing what they do best. People seem to just wanting to cash out and watch tv instead of working, however surprising that may be. My message is it’s not about some members being fired, or the core team evaporating from the company, it is always about a small game dev gaining enough success to become worth of many bucks and they it seems never hesitate to get those in exchange for their independence. After that it’s not about games anymore.
Corporations usually buy 'indy' company when all talented people had already left - but the name, brand and IP are still valuable.

In 8-bit era there were 2-3 names that were authors of the game. Selling their 'company' was a non-event - you could expect shitty sequel made by larger publisher - and 'true' sequel made by original authors under a different name.

Nowadays people only know the name of marketing manager. If he's still on board after corporate buyout - they think that whole original team still is.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah I know some of them ended up in games journalism
wtf, fate worse than unemployment :negative:
and others just left the industry entirely.
Probably for the best, I bet such ambitious people probably get big bucks in IT or other industries that do not pay so trash.

we're losing people who belong in this industry, who are there for the right reasons and love the work they do. The Medieval 2 team clearly loved working on that game as we've seen from the behind the scenes footage.
That's the problem. Peon shouldn't know how to make games or be ambitious. Peon doesn't kow anything and is never right! Management knows how to do business and management will tell you what game to make and what it should have because management knows best!

Beastro

Arcane
The single product, FoG2, was released a couple of years ago with plenty of nations and units to play with.
The other single product, FoG: Empires, was released a while later as a grand strategy game with optional FoG2 integration for fighting out battles. It works surprisingly well together.
I am aware of that. I am talking in the context of Field of Glory: Kingdoms. There are times when certain business models are justified and there are times when the exact same models become a questionable practice. Which is what happened to Paradox, for example.

If we are to believe the base game's blurb (and why wouldn't we), there are 48 nations and factions in the base game alone. I don't know how anyone can interpret that as "half a game".
Nobody does. The number of nations and factions is not the issue here.

Hot take: Naval combat in TW is unnecessary and CA are right to leave it out. It adds almost nothing to the game while taking up enormous amounts of resources and dev time.
Wrong. Navies are important aspect of any strategy game that takes place in an area where there are large bodies of water present. Or at least they should be. There are many examples in history where having a strong navy was vital for a nation and one point or another. I wouldn't mind abstracting it (kind of like Europa Universalis does), but naval combat as such is a must.
You cannot have any game like TW set beyond the 17th Century without naval combat.

Controlling the SLOC is vital to the era, and by this time having naval combat auto resolve like in the older TW games is bland given the developments in the game.

Dr1f7

Scholar
Man I opened up Rome after noodling in Atilla for a week. It's so smooth, the ui is so clean. It's gaming crack, no bullshit just WAR.

Pity they chased fancy graphics over all from that point.
did they even chase fancy graphics? the games all look like shit
more like they chased fancy pre-rendered trailers

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom