Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Athelas

Arcane
pe-icons.jpg
One of those item icons looks like some kind of furry baby wrapped in a blanket. I see they're following in the proud IE tradition of Aerie's inventory baby. :troll:

Athelas

Arcane
Damn, after the boob plate fiasco they really went overboard with toning down Cadegund's sex appeal.

aeonsim

Augur
So the build seems like a nice improvement.

Attributes have been adjusted, a number of the spells have been altered to fit closer to there description/name, Chanter Summons seem to work a lot more reliably. Combat seems alot easier on Hard which may be the result of some of the attribute changes.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Pillars of Eternity is a big game. Only two of our developers managed to finish. One was a designer who developed a lot of the crit path and sprinted straight for the end. The other found an early ending and decided to wrap his story up there. About half of the developers had not yet made it to Defiance Bay (the first big city).
I want to know how far Avellone made it.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pillars of Eternity is a big game. Only two of our developers managed to finish. One was a designer who developed a lot of the crit path and sprinted straight for the end. The other found an early ending and decided to wrap his story up there. About half of the developers had not yet made it to Defiance Bay (the first big city).
I want to know how far Avellone made it.
There were wolves in the wilderness of the first area of the game, if I recall correctly...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
nipsen still sperging out: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/69...ner-only-pausable-real-time-combat/?p=1539884

I wanted a refund, and I got the refund processed - because I was not comfortable with sponsoring Obsidian to make a community-designed game. I paid to the kickstarter to have Obsidian make the game, not for random weirdness to be inserted by fan request, and not for entire designs to be thrown out because some obtuse jackass on the internet doesn't intuitively spot the reason for having "interrupts".

I also wanted a refund and to have the beta-codes revoked and the kickstarter privilege removed - because as it was I don't want to be on the credits, or even be known to have been part of the beta or even sponsoring the project. Which is going to go down in the short history of games-development as one of the most incredible community-developed failures we've ever seen.

:yeah:

Shevek

Arcane
Game is looking much more polished. I made an Orlan and the textures looked much better on character creation. The UI is looking more polished as well.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Played for a minute. Noticed that you can't deadlock NPCs through what used to be inadequate pathfinding now.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Pathfinding appears to be improved quite a bit, although they need to change how creatures face when they move, they always face their target and like sidestep everywhere - looks silly.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I like the last VO sample, which is probably Durance. The first one is kind of underwhelming, and I'm guessing it's Edér.

I can't figure out the second VO. If I were to guess, it would be a male aumaua(or Iron Bull's cousin :lol:), but isn't the last companion a halfling fighter?

Also engagement is here to stay it seems.

Hormalakh

Magister
any word on combat playability? more/less buggy/crashes?

not home this week, so i can't mess with the beta...

Hormalakh

Magister
btw sensuki, make up your mind: is hard too easy or too difficult? you complain in the same thread that hard difficulty is a joke and then two lines down complain that you have to reload because the bears are raping you with their claws.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
NWN2? Sure. DA:O and DA:I? I'm not seeing or feeling the connection.

I haven't played DA:I, but I'm getting a bit of DA:O feel out of this, minus the cooldowns.
In what way exactly?

The reason I am getting NWN2 is because of how spell VFX is handled. Combat can at times become a mess visually. I don't even remember much of Dragon Age: Origins combat. Could you even control your entire party at the same time?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
btw sensuki, make up your mind: is
hard too easy or too difficult? you complain in the same thread that hard difficulty is a joke and then two lines down complain that you have to reload because the bears are raping you with their claws.

You clearly didn't read my post in that thread correctly then.

In what way exactly?

The reason I am getting NWN2 is because of how spell VFX is handled. Combat can at times become a mess visually. I don't even remember much of Dragon Age: Origins combat. Could you even control your entire party at the same time?

DA:O combat essentially boils down to making some initial targeting and then just repeatedly spamming actions on certain characters. There's not really any positioning or re-targeting involved because of certain factors - such as the MMO Taunt feature that some units have.

The difference is that in PE you have to select an ability and target them with the mouse, whereas DA:O is built for consoles and uses an action queue against a pre-determined target.

I also get a bit of a DA:O feel from the combat stances of characters.

DA:O did have a tactical view, but it only worked at max zoom, if you zoomed in one notch further, the camera was locked on a character or something. Don't remember the specifics, I did get into a big argument about it with Nikaido and Lilura in some other thread and as a result both of them added me to ignore :lol:

I fucking hated DA:O combat, but it was more fun than Pillars of Eternity is currently.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Going by what some of the loading tips say, it would seem they do not intend to go back to the old skill system. Not without a lot of complaining from me anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom