Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny Pre-Release Thread

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Infinitron Your DA2 screenshot is misleading. Every class in DA2 had 6 basic trees + 3 specialization trees. If we count enhancers not shown on the screenshot, every tree had about 10 nodes. So, ~270 nodes (not counting unique nodes in companion-only trees).

Tyranny is classless. Main character has six (if I'm not mistaken) skill trees and each tree currently has about 20 nodes. Depending on how many unique skills trees companions will have (and how "unique" those will actually be), the total amount of nodes of Tyranny skill trees may be less than that of DA2.

Theldaran

Liturgist
On the bright side, it also means that the game will be replayable as fuck, since you can play it in a variety of ways, favoring during one playthrough the ability you dropped before. I think that's what they're going for there.

Brilliant. Yes, that's a stated design goal of the game: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=10248

It has the glaring downsides mentioned before, though.

Lacrymas: I'm well accustomed to the first playthrough being shit, the most appalling would be being killed by a wolf outside Candlekeep, for example...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think that's a design goal they should set for themselves though. The older RPGs weren't made with that in mind, they were made with the intent to create a living world which reacts naturally to your actions (like it should be), the replayability part kinda evolved because of that. If your design goal is replayablity you start jumping through hoops and trying to reinvent the wheel. Not that I'm surprised, this industry has a non-existent memory span.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron Your DA2 screenshot is misleading. Every class in DA2 had 6 basic trees + 3 specialization trees. If we count enhancers not shown on the screenshot, every tree had about 10 nodes. So, ~270 nodes (not counting unique nodes in companion-only trees).

Tyranny is classless. Main character has six (if I'm not mistaken) skill trees and each tree currently has about 20 nodes. Depending on how many unique skills trees companions will have (and how "unique" those will actually be), the total amount of nodes of Tyranny skill trees may be less than that of DA2.

Oh yeah, I forgot those mini-nodes existed.

Anyway, looking at the Tyranny trees now, it's not clear to me if they only allow vertical progression or horizontal as well. I'm thinking that Bubbles assumed that it was only vertical, in which case it does look rather boring. But then, there are some places where it clearly must allow horizontal progression as well, like in the second to last row of the middle tree in the screenshot:

How else would you get to that shield/stairway-looking talent.

So maybe it allows horizontal progression everywhere, in which case this is a much more flexible structure than your typical tree - more "heap" than tree, which is better in my book.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Since there's I, II, III etc. over some of the icons I'm going to assume it's vertical. At least those parts.

Rev

Arcane
Seems like TW3's talents tree, only without having to equip the chosen talents. You can pick every talent in the first row, but the second one will unlock only if you invest at least x talent points in the category, the third require x+y points, and so on.
I mean, just look at the highlighted talent in that screen: you can pick it only if you've already spent at least 7 talent points in Leadership, it doesn't require you to have the upper talent or anything else. Beyond that, the talents named II, III, etc. will probably also require having the previous versions as well, and that's it.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
So maybe it allows horizontal progression everywhere
I don't see why they should put additional restrictions on progression when they already have "need at least X points in the tree" requirement.

What I want to know is how they're going to implement both their ambitious C&C and still a fairly complex skill system in such a short timeframe. Of course, Fargo said that they'd been trying to make a game like Tyranny since 2009, but how much could they actually recycle from their old cancelled projects? Probably not much. For comparison, PoE took them about 2.5 years, was barely playable at launch and didn't have that much C&C. And Tyranny probably has a smaller budget than PoE.

Lacrymas

Arcane
By being a shorter game, I suppose. AoD is relatively short for an RPG but it's insane in its C&C and has brutal combat.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
On the bright side, it also means that the game will be replayable as fuck, since you can play it in a variety of ways, favoring during one playthrough the ability you dropped before. I think that's what they're going for there.
It will be repeatable exactly twice, once as a dick, once as Jesus. There's no dick Jesus in obsidian games.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
It will be repeatable exactly twice, once as a dick, once as Jesus. There's no dick Jesus in obsidian games.

You forgot once as sarcastic careless fellow.

Prime Junta

You forgot once as sarcastic careless fellow.

They are banging on about the factions and the world state. If done well, that could add a hell of a lot more replayability. FO:NV demonstrates that they do know how to do this.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
They are banging on about the factions and the world state. If done well, that could add a hell of a lot more replayability. FO:NV demonstrates that they do know how to do this.
New Vegas was a huge game, I don't think you can fit a lot of faction gameplay into a small obsidian game, unless they went with the AoD aproach, which they won't.

Theldaran

Liturgist

No, or at least, not if they do it right... think for a moment of Vampire the Masquerade: you couldn't be a monster in both physical, mental and social ways if you didn't spend lots of time playing the game. This is the same, but distributed among several playthroughs. For example, you could be said Jesus in combat during one playthrough, but not a skilled diplomat. Also there's one factor we're forgetting and that's the companions. What will be their role?

Also, the first playthrough is almost guaranteed to end up in a shitty character, at least partially, but once you have the knowledge "a priori" of what's going to happen, you can outsmart the game. But that is the case with every fixed-content CRPG. It also doesn't substract from its replayability, not per se.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
No, or at least, not if they do it right... think for a moment of Vampire the Masquerade: you couldn't be a monster in both physical, mental and social ways if you didn't spend lots of time playing the game. This is the same, but distributed among several playthroughs. For example, you could be said Jesus in combat during one playthrough, but not a skilled diplomat. Also there's one factor we're forgetting and that's the companions. What will be their role?

Also, the first playthrough is almost guaranteed to end up in a shitty character, at least partially, but once you have the knowledge "a priori" of what's going to happen, you can outsmart the game. But that is the case with every fixed-content CRPG. It also doesn't substract from its replayability, not per se.
This is Nu obsidian, not troika.

Theldaran

Liturgist
The Vampire reference was in fact about the whole original World of Darkness system by White Wolf. I tried playing Bloodlines but I didn't get far.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I am wondering if it's going to be much fun. I don't like what I'm hearing about the systems.

Fun is subjective. :M

It's clear that the things you choose at character creation are the things you're going to be doing for the next 20 hours, with the customization coming from talents.

Much like Fallout. :smug:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A short story by Paul Kirsch, a narrative designer (who also wrote PoE Almanac): https://blog.tyrannygame.com/2016/05/06/under-new-management/

tyranny_shortstory_undernewmanagement.png

Hello, future tyrants! My name is Paul Kirsch. I’m a Narrative Designer on Tyranny, and I have the pleasure of introducing our first of several short stories: Under New Management.

This story showcases a small detachment of the Scarlet Chorus – one of several armies that serve the Overlord’s conquering ambition. My goal was to give readers a first glance at the brutality and community that go hand-in-hand with the Scarlet Chorus. To the untrained eye, they might look like hardened, bloodthirsty killers. Viewed through a filtered lens, you find something very different – a complex, self-correcting ecosystem with a rich and diverse culture.

If the distinction isn’t obvious while the Scarlet Chorus is raiding your village and burning your house to the ground, you aren’t looking closely enough.

Now that I’ve whetted your appetite for uncompromising brutality, enjoy Under New Management!

Paul Kirsch, Narrative Designer

Under New Management
“Someone ought to kill that bastard.”

The declaration came as a whisper, but it went off like a gong in the circle of killers. Crow Trap glanced up at the others around the fire. Their makeshift weapons of tarnished bronze and chipped wood all lay close at hand, and each wore the tattered red of the Scarlet Chorus. Seven in total, they represented the full contingent of their gang, minus the absent leader who had stepped into the overgrowth to empty his bowels on a stump, as he so proudly declared was his intent.

The gang made camp on the slope of a mountain pass – one of many that separated the Northern Empire from the Tiers. The exhausting march into the wilderness permitted them to light a fire without any concern of attracting enemy patrols. Their boots were gray with the ashes of a village they had set to the torch, and their nerves were aflame with the many joys of the raid. A good day’s work.

As the sun set, their thoughts had turned away from brutality and skewed inward. This should have been the gang’s time for spinning tales of battles won, but apparently they had other plans.

Someone ought to kill that bastard.

It didn’t matter to Crow Trap which of them had said it. The words hung in the air as if written in their campfire’s rising smoke, demanding to be addressed.

The Trap Gang had spent the last fortnight moving south at a tireless pace, clearing a path for the Disfavored army that marched in their dust. It should have been an uncomplicated stretch of raids and plundering, but their coordination was all wrong. Miscommunication and bad timing got in the way of simple operations, and every failure chiseled at their resolve. For the first time in recent memory, Trap Gang was weak.

Custom held that the boss was to blame. If the strongest couldn’t keep them together, then he needed to be replaced. Man Trap had taken them far as a gang. Maybe it was far enough.

The other six recruits turned to Crow to gauge her reaction. She was a Scarlet Fury, one of the elite soldiers of the howling mob. An old, deep scar stretched from ear to ear, and her bony features were marked with the crisscrossing evidence of duels both old and recent. She hunkered down on the balls of her feet, turning a bronze knife in her hands.

She flicked the blade in the direction of her compatriots like a finger pointed in challenge. The gang intuited her meaning at once:

Convince me, maggots.

Rat Trap, a recruit whose uniform hung like dirty rags over his broad shoulders, cleared his throat.

“Man Trap takes a greater share of everything,” he said. “Spoils, vittles, war wives. One of us could divide it up better. Without him, we could go to bed with full bellies for a change.” The suggestion came out more as a question, and everyone heard it as such.

Crow shook her head, keeping the blade pointed at him. If anyone doubted the plan, the gang would never back it.

What else?

Rat Trap looked to each of the other nonplussed gang members in turn – a panicked beast seeking quarter, finding none.

“If you was boss,” he started, directing his words at Crow, “you’d portion the spoils as was fair.”

Some murmurs of accord grew in volume, but Crow cut that off at once. She shook her head and snapped her fingers at Rat Trap.

Not good enough.

The big man flinched. Without a word, he offered Crow a shaking hand, biting his lower lip.

In a quick, blurring motion that no eye could follow, Crow slashed the recruit’s palm and flicked the blade to send a splash of blood sizzling into the fire. Rat Trap withdrew and clutched his palm with a hiss, but nodded to Crow.

“My thanks for your mercy,” he said.

Fear turned to love as Crow Trap nodded to accept his contrition.

The wound was a useful punishment. It could mean his death the next battle to come, unless he fought twice as hard to think past it and keep his hand steady. Either possibility served the Scarlet Chorus in some way.

Crow turned her attention to the other gang members, swinging her blade in the slow motions of a pendulum.

Anyone else? Time is short, and the boss returns. Convince me.

Sitting across the fire from Crow, Fox Trap spun a length of red silk between her fingers – a garrote that was hungry to be used. She grabbed Crow’s attention with a stare of deep intensity between hairs that hung over her brow.

“We’re marching ahead of the Disfavored to soften the Southern pigs for surrender,” she said. “Peasant work. We should be occupying every village in our path and conscripting from the locals.” She glanced at the assembled gang, taking in the nods and grunts of agreement. “Once we’re back to capacity, Trap Gang can put a real dent in this war. We won’t need Graven Ashe and his ironclads to finish the job.”

Crow Trap weighed the matter. The gang was sixteen members strong at the start of the campaign. Disease, brawls and a modicum of resistance had whittled them down to a skeleton crew. Inviting new blood to join their ranks was always a high priority. If they took more time to recruit from the villages and outlying farms, the gang could be forty strong by the time they reached the Bastard City and the real war to come.

She shook her head to dismiss temptation, and jabbed at the earth three times with her dagger.

March now, conscript later! The Archon needs a victory.

Heavy sighs preceded a cloud of embers lifting from the campfire. All agreed that Crow Trap was right, though the gang had no reason to enjoy it. Their patron Archon, the Voices of Nerat, would be none too pleased if one of his gangs needed to resupply and recoup their losses before they had a chance to prove themselves in a decisive battle.

Fox Trap extended her palm without a word. Crow Trap took the customary offering of blood – Fox barely registering the pain – and turned back to the gang.
Anyone else?

Before the next gang member could speak up, a snapped twig announced a new presence just beyond their circle. Man Trap lumbered into the perimeter, pushing aside saplings and hoisting his belt around his expansive gut.

“Why so silent, my ninny-shitters?” he shouted, as garrulous as ever. “We’ve every reason to celebrate after today’s red work. Cat, favor us a song. Snake, tell us about the time you…”

Cutting off his own speech, Man Trap halted just outside the perimeter. He sniffed, turning his gaze to each of his red-clad killers in turn.

“Something’s wrong,” he said. “I smell at least one bloody palm among you stinking mongrels.” He turned to Crow Trap with an implied question. Her knife was still out, and his attention drew to it like a compass to true north.

The silence lengthened. Crow Trap swept her gaze around the circle one last time, equally prepared to execute a plan or let the matter drop.

Anyone else?

A stooped-over recruit with a body like a siege tower lifted his head to regard Crow. His hands up to his elbows were still red from an earlier kill that day. His brow sloped over tiny eyes that twinkled with determination.

Crow leaned forward to listen. Bear Trap hadn’t spoken to anyone since the start of the campaign. He was a man of few words, which she could respect as a woman of none.

“We kill him,” he said. “We kill him because it’s fun. If he can’t defend himself, then he’s no boss of mine.”

“What’s that?” Man Trap reached over his shoulder for the hammer slung across his back.

Crow had heard enough. With a flick of her wrist, the blade left her hand – streaking over the heads of the gang like a shooting star. When it came to a sudden stop, it was buried up to the hilt in Man’s arm, pinning it to his shoulder.

“The fuck, Crow?!” Man Trap said in a cloud of spittle. He reeled from the blow, but didn’t dare try to extricate his arm. She would kill him faster than he could think to try. “After I saved you from the Bleak Rotters – them who gave you that scar? I thought we was mates.”

She shrugged. Turning to the gang, Crow Trap drew a line across her throat.

None of them needed any help interpreting her meaning. They took up arms and swarmed Man Trap like ants to an injured spider, swiping and clawing and picking away at him – filling the night with screams and wild, untrammeled howling. The deed took far longer than it should have, but Trap Gang needed the release, the deep pleasure of a satisfying kill.

Crow Trap held her spot and watched the carnage play out, knowing that tonight could have gone no other way. A slow trickle of blood seeped downhill until it touched the edge of the campfire. She glanced at Bear Trap, who was likewise unmoving, and caught his attention.

You’re boss now, she signed, letting her fingers do the work in the absence of her blade.

He nodded, hiding any reluctance if he felt it. “If I must. You make the calls, though. I can give them courage, but I don’t got a mind for thinking ahead.”

She stood and kicked dirt over the fire, letting the shadows pool into camp. Welcoming them.

If I must.

They marched at first light – Bear Trap with his new hammer, and Crow following close behind. They went to war one man short, but everyone who saw them fight in the Bastard City said that Trap Gang was stronger by tenfold, though none of them could guess why.

THE END

Prime Junta

^
That was... good.

Shades of the Bridgeburners, or perhaps Bonehunters there. First thing related to Tyranny that pushes my hype-o-meter past "mildly interested."

Trashos

Arcane
Are we assuming that they are going to combine mature themes with extremely silly combat in the game? (I am talking about the silly combo they have advertised)

Who is the target group for such a combination? I don't get it.

Are we assuming that they are going to combine mature themes with extremely silly combat in the game? (I am talking about the silly combo they have advertised)

Who is the target group for such a combination? I don't get it.

Same here. I doubt even Man-kids will be impressed by friendship combos unless they are sex :incloosive:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom