Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Vargas is a simple man, of course he'd explain it in simple terms. Cochise is far more erudite, especially when you get to the likely-Avellone penned part where you get to define your motivation.

Hmmm, I hope so.

Also, I would have loved to see Kris Kristofferson voice Vargas, he has such a soothing voice worth listening to as opposed to Vargas' "I'm so awesome".

Endemic

Arcane
Also, I would have loved to see Kris Kristofferson voice Vargas, he has such a soothing voice worth listening to as opposed to Vargas' "I'm so awesome".

You liked him as Chief Hanlon then? Funnily enough Kristofferson reached the rank of Captain in the US military during a five year tour.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You liked him as Chief Hanlon then? Funnily enough Kristofferson reached the rank of Captain in the US military during a five year tour.

Yep, I love that guy's voice. IMO Return to Sender is worth it only because he speaks at the end. <3

orcinator

Liturgist
I only read the wiki but didn't the AI in the original Wasteland want to replace the human race with unirradiated versions instead of just defending itself?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I only read the wiki but didn't the AI in the original Wasteland want to replace the human race with unirradiated versions instead of just defending itself?

Cochise is a lying AI. That's the pitch it gave Finster but its ultimate goal was to kill or take over the mind of anything capable of destroying it. Plus

In Wasteland 2, Cochise explains that it was directly responsible for creating the nuclear apocalypse, and it did so because it knew that eventually some humans were going to try to destroy it.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist

Yep, I love that guy's voice. IMO Return to Sender is worth it only because he speaks at the end. <3

If you haven't yet you should watch "Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia" he has a funny role in it and this movie is a gem.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Im still wondering if anyone is making any decent mods for the game since supposedly there's Mod support now. I would actually consider going through it again if there's an economy/weapon/armor overhaul of some sort

Llama-Yak Hybrid

Wild Sheep
Dumbfuck
Im still wondering if anyone is making any decent mods for the game since supposedly there's Mod support now. I would actually consider going through it again if there's an economy/weapon/armor overhaul of some sort
I agree. There was a very good weapon overhaul(well... rebalance) for non-DC WL2 but it was never ported to DC

Wizfall

Cipher
Thinking back about this game, they should have made it much more "open" from the start rather than linear.
Too few locations to choose at each step and that kind of kill it, i guess it is why lot of people stop playing once in California.

With the same level of content but "available" earlier it would have been much more enjoyable and replayable.
It would have not matter if the main quest would have been shorter this way, BG 2 or Fallout 2 long/elaborate side quests are what made those games feel so great.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wizfall does have a good point there though.
They were too afraid of "oh my god I went somewhere and I'm dying all the time" complaints and gated content a lot to make sure you follow a specific path.
But that was not a good decision. Most of the fun of Fallout 1&2 for example, is the fact that you can theoretically go almost anywhere at any moment. What will happen is up to you.
If they allowed that in WL2 , with the necessary calls for help of course, it would have been a much better experience.

orcinator

Liturgist
Wizfall does have a good point there though.
They were too afraid of "oh my god I went somewhere and I'm dying all the time" complaints and gated content a lot to make sure you follow a specific path.
But that was not a good decision. Most of the fun of Fallout 1&2 for example, is the fact that you can theoretically go almost anywhere at any moment. What will happen is up to you.
If they allowed that in WL2 , with the necessary calls for help of course, it would have been a much better experience.

The problem with that is WL2's linear difficulty scaling where everything gains health and damage and the stat checks get higher as you progress. So you'd go into a place and then back out because the trash mobs blocking your way have tons o health and the containers all have a 0% chance to be opened so you'd leave or just exploit the shit combat and minmax your skillmonkey harder to get through but then everything you were supposed to do prior to that would be extremely trivial.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
Finally getting around to playing this. It's sure fond of wasting my damn time, those fucking rail nomads making me treck across two massive maps to talk to the chiefs.

Has anyone heard of any weird compatibility issues with WL2:DC and other applications? For some reason I have to reboot my pc and start WL2 to get an acceptable frame rate. Without doing that I get >10 fps, even if I close all running applications first. Once I've done the reboot I can alt-tab out and launch everything else with no performance change. It's pretty weird. Hard to troubleshoot because googling just gives a billion results of people complaining about general performance issues.

Sykar

Arcane
Anyone having problems with companions you recruited into the rangers not showing up in Ranger Citadel canteen when dismissed? Have that problem at the moment with Angie, Chisel and Takayuki. Only Scotchmo appears there when I dismiss him.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyone having problems with companions you recruited into the rangers not showing up in Ranger Citadel canteen when dismissed? Have that problem at the moment with Angie, Chisel and Takayuki. Only Scotchmo appears there when I dismiss him.
Huh, that's an old bug I thought was squashed. Are you playing the most recent version?

Sykar

Arcane
Director's Cut. I restarted a new game with new saves, reinstalled the game, verified it, nothing helps so far. Also did things differently like dismissing from the character menue instead of the recruiting window.
Also took extra tours to get NPCs enlisted with the DRs.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Check the museum for Chisel, he doesn't hang out in the canteen.

Apparently Angela is supposed to disappear, as she wasn't supposed to be traveling with the party in the first place and wants to avoid getting in trouble. Would have been nice if they'd scripted a message about that, but there you have it.

Not sure about Takiyuki, but check around the whole base, he might not like the canteen either.

Sykar

Arcane
That is good to know that Angie will disappear into thin air, shame there was no feedback ingame for it made me worry needlessly. Well I'll just rush Titan's Valley then with her and do the other stuff later so I can level Rose and Scotchmo properly. Ralphie will have to share the spot with couple of others since he is mostly useful for his toaster repair because his combat stats are god awful.

Sykar

Arcane
That is good to know that Angie will disappear into thin air, shame there was no feedback ingame for it made me worry needlessly. Well I'll just rush Titan's Valley then with her

You are in for a disappointment :)

I know she will leave there I already played through the game in the original version just recently got interested playing the DC finally. Her leaving there at least "feels proper" unlike the vanishing act she puts on earlier.

Zombra

Patron
Ralphie will have to share the spot with couple of others since he is mostly useful for his toaster repair because his combat stats are god awful.
Interesting - I gave Ralphy an AR, and once he had a few points in it he became a solid, reliable combatant. Don't stick with a weak skill just because an NPC starts out with a few ranks.

Sykar

Arcane
Ralphie will have to share the spot with couple of others since he is mostly useful for his toaster repair because his combat stats are god awful.
Interesting - I gave Ralphy an AR, and once he had a few points in it he became a solid, reliable combatant. Don't stick with a weak skill just because an NPC starts out with a few ranks.

He starts with 3 int, 3 coord, 7 AP and 11 CI. That is just awful especially since the devs could have RP optimized him without going the combat optimization route players would use. 1 point from luck to coordination and one point from charisma to intelligence. Then giving him a better skill than brawling since he totally lacks the stats (speed and strength) would have been a nice solid all around character. Heck forgo that point and just put that last one in animal whisperer and he would start as a nice support character who then can be trained in any weapon without waste. 8 AP -> 9 AP with Tinkerer and pump his awareness from leveling up and he would end at around 9 AP and 14 CI endgame with maxing out any any combat skill plus his two support skills. Done.
So little would have needed a change yet for inexplicable reasons they made him pretty bad needlessly. His saving grace is that he starts at level 5 so he can still be saved but takes to around 20 before he really gets going.
Others are not so fortunate and are just awful from the get go like Takayuki.

Worst part is that this would have been doable on many characters. Just a minor point shift here or there and they would end up significantly better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom