Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny Pre-Release Thread

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
you’ll also gain a Wound when a character reaches low health.
Eh? How the hell is this a good mechanic? Unless, of course, if you want to encourage degenerate playstyles.
Because otherwise the wound mechanic would not serve any purpose if character death is enabled.

Sannom

Augur
Why not enable friendly fire on higher levels of difficulty - is it WHAT BAD?
Because of Dragon Age 2, that's why.

Or alternatively, if the zoom showed on the various videos if the higher you can go, because of Planescape : Torment.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When asked about disabling friendly fire on lower difficulty levels in PoE, Obsidian said that would be a terrible idea because the various area of effect abilities are balanced with friendly fire in mind. They'd probably say the same is true here, from the opposite side.

What I've noticed is that many of the AoEs in Tyranny have this very wide cone shape, which isn't common in PoE.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Why not enable friendly fire on higher levels of difficulty - is it WHAT BAD?

It throws the spells out of balance. Suppose you have two AoE DD spells with equal area. One does 50 damage and the other does 100 damage. The second one is objectively better, no? Now, if you have FF on the 100 damage one and foe-only on the 50 damage one, you can't say anymore which one is objectively better: it depends on the situation.

You can see the problem if one difficulty level has FF and another doesn't.

Parabalus

Arcane
The effect of INT in PoE on the radius of AoE spells was very original and provided great gameplay, sad to see it go.

The interrupt and consumables change seem like they will make it into PoE2. A few options usable regardless of your characters current action are great and add complexity, hoping they give us a few reactive abilities and make stuff like the Rogue's Shadowstep instant.

Only other game I can recall that has the wounds system was DA:O, but the penalties were not harsh enough without mods, you could just ignore them - hopefully Tyranny gets it right of the bat, but I'm not too much of a fan.

The rest is hard to gauge without the full picture.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The effect of INT in PoE on the radius of AoE spells was very original and provided great gameplay, sad to see it go.

I think that stuff is being offloaded to the new spellcrafting system, which they haven't described in detail yet.

Sannom

Augur
I'm hoping it won't go away in PoE proper.

Only other game I can recall that has the wounds system was DA:O, but the penalties were not harsh enough without mods, you could just ignore them - hopefully Tyranny gets it right of the bat, but I'm not too much of a fan.
What about Pillars of Eternity?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

y8zkqYC.png

I wonder what that dotted line signifies.

Parabalus

Arcane
I think that stuff is being offloaded to the new spellcrafting system, which they haven't described in detail yet.

There is surely going to be +AoE% effects somewhere, but since there is no friendly fire, there is no outer ring, which is where the fun was.

What about Pillars of Eternity?

Derp. Only fatigue popped into my head.

They got buffed in a patch I think, at release they were completely ignorable. I like how you can get wounded by failing text events, but being removable by resting means that even on PotD you can easily clear before major encounters - DA:O actually did this better. Not really a fan of the system tho.

Modron

Arcane

The interrupt and consumables change seem like they will make it into PoE2. A few options usable regardless of your characters current action are great and add complexity, hoping they give us a few reactive abilities and make stuff like the Rogue's Shadowstep instant.

The rest is hard to gauge without the full picture.

Eh in the Drakensang games you picked up wounds like crazy, get 3 and you're out of a fight. More people should play the River of Time.

, Obsidian said that would be a terrible idea because the various area of effect abilities are balanced with friendly fire in mind.

How the fuck does one balance AoE effects with friendly fire in mind? Did they assume every x % ofd AoE effects will damage allies? This does not make any sense.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
, Obsidian said that would be a terrible idea because the various area of effect abilities are balanced with friendly fire in mind.

How the fuck does one balance AoE effects with friendly fire in mind? Did they assume every x % ofd AoE effects will damage allies? This does not make any sense.

See Prime Junta's post.

Friendly fire is a factor in determining the size and shape of an area of effect. Just flipping it on would likely result in a bunch of shit spells you can't use.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected

I think, the real problem as someone already pointed it out, is the AI. This was an issue in NWN2. Where party members would nuke themselves and the team in the Hardcore mode. Also, in POE we have the famous count Dracula nuking himself. They probably decided to avoid that. Engagement mechanics complicated the idea even further where you can not have tactical movement once combat is 'engaged'. It very much prevents mobility for melee units. Thus, most spells that are AOE and Friendly fire would be pretty much useless after a few seconds of encounter.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
you can not have tactical movement once combat is 'engaged'. It very much prevents mobility for melee units. Thus, most spells that are AOE and Friendly fire would be pretty much useless after a few seconds of encounter.

PoE_Myths.txt. It only "prevents mobility" because the early low level gameplay trains you to think that disengagement attack = instant death and you don't yet have many abilities that can shake it off. If you actually try and move later on, you'll see that even your squishies can just take the hit and go, and by then you also have access to abilities that can disable the engagement.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
you can not have tactical movement once combat is 'engaged'. It very much prevents mobility for melee units. Thus, most spells that are AOE and Friendly fire would be pretty much useless after a few seconds of encounter.

PoE_Myths.txt. It only "prevents mobility" because the early low level gameplay trains you to think that disengagement attack = instant death and you don't yet have many abilities that can shake it off. If you actually try and move later on, you'll see that even your squishies can just take the hit and go, and by then you also have access to abilities that can disable the engagement.

Except, it don't work like that. The enemy follows you. So you can't effectively position yourself. It the pretty much simultaneous nature of RTwP, which BTW can be really really good sometimes. It sucks here, because every engagement makes you stall and take a hit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
If it's a 1v1 maybe. In that situation the smart thing to do is send another party member as backup first, so when you retreat the enemy sticks to him.

Sannom

Augur
One of my favorite ways of cancelling engagement on Aloth was to have Eder use "Into the fray" on the enemy.

And of course, late game, boots of speed.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I didn't find that stuff to be much of a hindrance to using AoEs anyway. Actually the opposite is true - the enemy AI is more vulnerable to foolishly clumping up next to a front-line fighter who is engaging them then your guys are, so it's easy to hit them all with an AoE without hitting one of your own.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
I didn't find that stuff to be much of a hindrance to using AoEs anyway. Actually the opposite is true - the enemy AI is more vulnerable to foolishly clumping up next to a front-line fighter who is engaging them then your guys are, so it's easy to hit them all with an AoE without hitting one of your own.
Yeah. That much is true. It *is* totally possible to play around the arrangement. But seems like gaming the system and not something that was planned in.This is reflected in the decision to remove the FF.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yeah. That much is true. It *is* totally possible to play around the arrangement. But seems like gaming the system and not something that was planned in.This is reflected in the decision to remove the FF.

Not sure I follow. Removing friendly fire makes that tactic even easier to use.

They've removed the friendly fire because they want Tyranny to play like Dragon Age (including not having to control your entire party manually), it's not any more complex than that IMO. It'll be back for PoE2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom