Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1.07 patch detailed (stash, movement weight, inventory sorting, new cat, horse penis enlargement)

Perkel

Arcane
Incline:

As some of you may know, we are finishing up work on our next big patch, Patch 1.07. It’s a very large update introducing some key changes, including:

• A new, alternative (optional) movement response mode for Geralt.
  • A player stash for storing items, available in various locations throughout the game. Stash locations are marked on the player's map.
  • Crafting and alchemy components no longer add to the overall inventory weight.
  • Books are now placed in a dedicated tab in the Inventory and books that have already been read are properly grayed out.
  • Multiple sorting options are now available in the Inventory.
  • Alchemy formulas and crafting diagrams can be "pinned", meaning all components and ingredients required to make them will be conveniently marked in the Shop panel.
  • Dozens of fixes for quest related issues, both major and minor.
  • A few performance enhancements, including the optimization of FX, scenes and general gameplay.
  • Various improvements to horse behavior.

Since it's been all hands on deck working to finish and release this patch on time, we won’t be publishing a free DLC this week (don’t worry - free content comes back next week). We hope you understand our decision. We’ve gathered so much feedback from you over the past couple of weeks and we want to implement as much of it as possible. The full change list for the patch 1.07 will be coming later this week. Stay tuned for info about the release of the update itself.

Finaly OCD people can start game.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Making the crafting components weightless is fucking idiotic, like the game didn't give you enough reason to loot everything and hoard ridiculous amounts of stuff already. The weight limit is already through the roof even without saddle bags, and if anything the weight of everything should've been increased.

Sounds very good otherwise, especially the improvements regarding item sorting in the inventory.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Weight / no weight.... in this game it's just a useless micromanaging mechanic that doesn't add anything and it's only there to try and fix item clutter issues that stem from poor itemization in the first place. It's not like it forces you to choose something that would affect your gameplay. In some games it does, like using a railgun as a weapon would be very devastating against your opponents but p. heavy to carry. Since this isn't the case with the Witcher, the game itself should be in such a way that you don't have to deal with all that useless shit.

I've come across a gazillion of almost identical crappy weapons and armor, not to mention truckloads of random junk. This isn't neo-scavenger where one string of twine could matter, why should I spend my time just looking through this shit? Just trudging through chests to maybe find one useful recipe is boring as fuck, so you just take all that shit with one click and be done with it, thus you clutter your inventory with loads of junk.

And frankly in such games the only crafting material you should care about are rare, special material that can only be obtained through a quest or something. Why the fuck should I carry around wooden planks, thread, leather and iron to give to the goddamned blacksmith ? It's his fucking job to have all that. If I could at least make traps... but no.

Anyway, since this game couldn't be changed much, here's how to partially fix this with a simple tweak: At least half of all the alchemy and crafting material should be removed and you should be able to carry only up to 20 of each. Recipes should be tweaked accordingly. Voila, less useless crap you have to deal with.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
This isn't neo-scavenger where one string of twine could matter, why should I spend my time just looking through this shit?
This isn't NEO Scavenger, so why should you be picking most of that shit up in the first place? You've got a fucking job, just take the stuff that you actually use.

Unlimited inventory doesn't remove tedium, it adds to it because it removes all thought from looting and just turns it into work, and it also encourages you to leave no container untouched, check the pockets of every corpse that happens to be on your way and pick up everything from shitty boots to used handkerchiefs, because why not? It's free money and there's absolutely no reason to not do it. You don't have to sort through stuff when looting, true, but you'll eventually need to do that anyway when you want to sell all that useless junk, at least if you want to keep your inventory somehow manageable.

TW1 had the best inventory system of the bunch. One slot for each witcher sword, a couple of extra slots for additional weapons to sell, a pouch for herbs and monster parts and a small grid for everything else. The result? You pick up the useful stuff and leave the pointless shit on the ground. Instead of hoarding stuff you keep using it to make room for more, and you won't be swimming in cash every time you visit a vendor that can afford to buy all of your crap. There's no micromanaging involved because you're perfectly aware of what you're carrying at all times and don't need to spend any time or effort sorting that stuff out. Limitations actually decrease tedium while also having other positive effects like keeping the game's economy in check.

That being said, ending up with a thousand crafting/alchemy items in your inventory isn't necessarily that much of a problem since you don't really need to sort through that stuff in the first place. I just think that in this particular case they're going the wrong way if they really want to reduce the pain of inventory management.

And frankly in such games the only crafting material you should care about are rare, special material that can only be obtained through a quest or something. Why the fuck should I carry around wooden planks, thread, leather and iron to give to the goddamned blacksmith ? It's his fucking job to have all that.
Actually, the basic materials can almost always be bought or crafted when visiting the blacksmith, it just tends to be much more expensive than the actual crafting job which costs peanuts.

Beowulf

Arcane
This isn't neo-scavenger where one string of twine could matter, why should I spend my time just looking through this shit?
This isn't NEO Scavenger, so why should you be picking most of that shit up in the first place? You've got a fucking job, just take the stuff that you actually use.

You just answered that for yourself:

Actually, the basic materials can almost always be bought or crafted when visiting the blacksmith, it just tends to be much more expensive than the actual crafting job which costs peanuts.

Unlimited inventory doesn't remove tedium, it adds to it because it removes all thought from looting and just turns it into work, and it also encourages you to leave no container untouched, check the pockets of every corpse that happens to be on your way and pick up everything from shitty boots to used handkerchiefs, because why not? It's free money and there's absolutely no reason to not do it.

I already do that, becouse of the reasons above. The "economy" in this game is as crap as itemization, I wouldn't be able to afford to craft shit, or by alchemy ingredients if I didn't hoard and use/sell everything, especially in the beginning. Not to mention that I don't know beforehand which items are important for future diagrams - magical quality iron ore, rare dark iron ore, super rare but commonly found above X-level dark steel, meteorite dust, diamond dust, sapphire dust?
Hell, for upgrading your sword in White Orchard you need some kind of dust that the smith sells for about 500 cr. But you can find it behind some poor guys shack (for me it was the guy who gives you 20cr (sic!)for getting them clear source of water).

deranged

Cipher
It would be nice if they actually re-write the whole thing so that you get decent directions to quests, or some clear indication on how you uncover a Point of Interest in the map. As it stands now each notice board unlocks a bunch of POIs that are simply in proximity to the board. This is moronic and lazy design.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I already do that, becouse of the reasons above.
Just like everyone else, but I don't think it should be encouraged even further. TW2 was even worse in terms of random shit everywhere, and hoarding was basically required for you to able to craft anything, but at least the basic stuff like ore, cloth and timber was so heavy that at some point you simply had to stop going through every single box because you were already carrying 200 pounds of crafting materials.

I do agree that going through everyone's house is so profitable that you'll probably do it no matter what. Alcohol could be a constant money sink, except that Alcohest and Dwarven Spirit are absolutely everywhere and you'll never need to buy them. Every dirt-poor peasant seems to have some seriously expensive stuff stashed somewhere. No one minds if you take their stuff or is willing to report it to the guards. It'd obviously take a lot more than a simple weight tweak to fix the issue. A relatively easy fix would be to just adjust the random loot so that most people only have food and worthless junk in their houses. A slightly harder fix would be to give civilians the ability to report crimes (a simple shout for help would suffice, followed by a guard storming into the house if there's one nearby) and lock their doors at night.

It's pretty funny that Geralt in the lore is completely disgusted by looting of any kind, whether it's stealing or just taking stuff from a fallen enemy. You even have several chances in the game to kill people for looting, even if Geralt is probably the main reason no one in Velen has anything to eat anymore.

The "economy" in this game is as crap as itemization, I wouldn't be able to afford to craft shit, or by alchemy ingredients if I didn't hoard and use/sell everything, especially in the beginning.
It's not like you're strapped for cash in TW3. A basic witcher job gives you around 200-300 crowns (after White Orchard, that is) whereas crafting itself is usually around the 50-75 range, maybe a couple of hundred more if you need to buy the basic materials. Relatively high-level enemy swords can be sold for several hundred crowns apiece, allowing you to make a ton of money by the time you hit Novigrad without being all that obsessive about looting. Special materials of course cost a lot, but those are the best loot in the game anyway aside from alchemy formulae and unique crafting diagrams, something that should be hard to obtain. If only they were hand-placed and not something you can just find in somebody's kitchen...

Gerrard

Arcane
Just go kill some wraiths and they drop all kinds of dusts which are some of the most expensive crafting ingredients you can find.

I also like how one of the patches completely fucked up all the glyphs and runestones I had in my inventory making them impossible to use in the crafting recipes to make stronger versions.

Alcohol could be a constant money sink, except that Alcohest and Dwarven Spirit are absolutely everywhere and you'll never need to buy them.
The most funny thing about it is that you have alchemy recipes to make them, and those require buying ingredients because they never appear in containers.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Got to say the lootwhoring really goes against my (and the books) image of Geralt as an always skint fucker, the stash is nice and should have been there from the beginning, but for me it goes square against what the rest of the world projects. There's a realism and an internal consistency to almost everything, so when you get Geralt carrying a battlefields pickings in that little pouch on his belt, well it stands out as being real fucking stupid. Like others I think that the Witcher 1 had the inventory right, and owt you leave should be nicked by battlefield scavengers, i'd guess in wartime this'd be a bloody good profession.

Beowulf

Arcane
[...]
It's not like you're strapped for cash in TW3. A basic witcher job gives you around 200-300 crowns (after White Orchard, that is) whereas crafting itself is usually around the 50-75 range, maybe a couple of hundred more if you need to buy the basic materials. Relatively high-level enemy swords can be sold for several hundred crowns apiece, allowing you to make a ton of money by the time you hit Novigrad without being all that obsessive about looting. Special materials of course cost a lot, but those are the best loot in the game anyway aside from alchemy formulae and unique crafting diagrams, something that should be hard to obtain. If only they were hand-placed and not something you can just find in somebody's kitchen...

That's true, I think that by the time I left for Skellige I had >12k crowns. And I don't really want to pillage every house and look through every container, but the thought that there might be some rare and hard to obtain expensive item in this pile of candles, rotten meat and broken rakes compells me to do so. And due to the interface design it's faster to press one button and take all, than to carefully pick what you want and leave the rest. I tried doing so, but why bother and waste time ...

And I agree about W2 - at least you had to drop some things and consider optimising your inventory space.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Good changes

What are you people talking about anyway, apart from skins the alchemy/crafting materials already weigh almost nothing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'd still like one of the Kielbasas to explain to me why they had to patch in player storage when they already patched that in Witcher 2 and they're using the same engine. What was wrong with the code they had..? Is there something significantly different about how W3 handles inventory?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I'd still like one of the Kielbasas to explain to me why they had to patch in player storage when they already patched that in Witcher 2 and they're using the same engine. What was wrong with the code they had..? Is there something significantly different about how W3 handles inventory?
Maybe they thought it wasn't necessary in an open world game with fast travel

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Maybe they thought it wasn't necessary in an open world game with fast travel

Very cargo cult if true, considering how Bethesda games let you store things in containers, and many people use them for that purpose.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I guess? I wish I could stash things on the horse. Shrug

By the way I hope this patch fixes the mutagen bonus bug and allows you to use looted runes/glyphs for crafting

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Stash is an utterly pointless feature since loot dropped on the ground is persistent and even looks like a small sack. So you could already set up a stash, or multiple stashes, wherever you damn liked. Well I guess for some people a small sack isn't good enough, they need a chest. Next they'll demand new mounts, the more anime-insane the better. CDPR wanted to go mainstream, now it has to deal with mainstream faggotry.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The stash is good for precisely one thing, which is storing all that witcher gear for later upgrades. It's a welcome addition just because of that and certainly better than just dropping shit on the floor, as the latter only allows you to view a few items at a time and gives you no way of organizing that stuff.

Stashing things on the horse kind of is in the game with the saddle bags, except that in practice it's still Geralt carrying all that stuff. Thank god they didn't make Roach into a PoE-style ever-present stash, though, which seemed to be the initial idea.

Gerrard

Arcane
The same reason they had to patch in marking books that you already read. For the third time.

Stash is an utterly pointless feature since loot dropped on the ground is persistent.
Until you save and load.

Malpercio

Arcane
Did they fix Nekker's heart problem?

Also inventory weigh sucks, deal with it. To this day, Dark Soul did it the best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom