Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ad Banners - About & Problem Reports

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I just started getting under-pops that didn't happen before. I'm using Firefox. Are these here to stay?

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I really don't mind most ads, even the intersititialisablahblahblahs or the "under pops". However, one of the free Xbox-360 things now comes with a very long voice narration, much longer then the "type it and let me say it" banners. I think it was a pop-up, but I was so eager to can it I just went and head and closed it without taking down the link.

Proweler

Scholar
Okay I got one of those suckers that takes half a dozen carefull clicks to get rid off. Screw it up and you are volenteering to install malware.

Haven't gotten any data from the pop under, it's closed right away.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/d ... rsafe.html

badpopup.jpg

Calis

Pensionado
I've had a similar one appear from winfixer.com, one that opens other stuff even when you click "cancel".

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
In case anyone is wondering, these new Metal Gear Acid ads DO pay per click - ONCE per person. So check them out, but there's no point in clicking them more than once.

Vultok

Novice
I didn't get to experience the third dimension because it isn't loading in opera :(

On a (possibly) related note, when I middle click on a post from the front page, the new post sometimes steals the focus of my browser (Opera). It'd be great if this was fixed.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I'd like to file an official complaint against the errorsafe.com ads. It's two pop-ups. One small one telling me my PC has "had an error" and a larger sized one which takes up the whole screen. I just closed it, only to have it open again on me, twice.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Considering interstitials haven't been on the boards any more for a month or so, I wonder what your problem is.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
There's no interstitials, sure, but the problem with middle/ctrl click remains. Normally it loads the page in new tab/window, but this script makes it load in the current one too.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Are you talking about the boards or the front page? Becase interstitials are still on the front page and the ctrl-click problem is still there.

I don't see why it's there at all to be honest though. No other interstitial ads I've come across since (and I've been checking) seem to have the same problem.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Taluntain said:
Considering interstitials haven't been on the boards any more for a month or so, I wonder what your problem is.
Hm. I saw two interstitials a few days ago.

LlamaGod

Cipher
interstitials are only connected to the main page, i'm pretty sure. No forum usage will give you any, but going to the forums from the main page will.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Yes, interestitials are only on the site pages. So if you just go to the forums, you'll never have any click-related problems, because there's no interestitial code here, period. Even if you go from the site pages to the forums, you'll only get one (from the transition to the boards), but no more once you're here, because, again, the code for it is not here.

mathboy

Liturgist
Hello!

i got a sound pop under minutes ago. I live in Sweden and here is a screenshot of it:

Otherwise these pop unders have been working well, and I see you have google ads too now.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Well, that's a video ad, I think... and anyway, as long as it's a pop-up, you can just close it.

As for Google ads, yea, I give them a shot every now and then when I have nothing better. The more people click the Google ads, the more likely they are to stay. With the current average of under 10 clicks per day, they're obviously a disaster.

mathboy

Liturgist
Yes, I think it was a video ad. The problem with them, especially if they are pop unders, is that I don't notice them till they start screaming (like this one did) and I get really scared.

Ok, I might have solved the problem myself, I downloaded a Firefox extension called Stop Autoplay, which makes videos red boxes for me to click if I want to see them. I also downloaded Flashblock to avoid scary surprises from elsewhere. I put you as an exception for Flashblock.

Circuitbreaker

Liturgist
There's little I can add to the discussion apart from agreeing that the ads sometimes are a real annoyance but on the other hand if it's necessary for the survival of RPGCodex it's perfectly understandable.

What did piss me off was the fact I got some annoying add when I clicked on teh donate button :x I would expect that link to be exempt from ads. Is there a deeper reasoning behind this ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom