Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review And Book Review He Did

nomask7

Arcane
poocolator said:
nomask7 said:
Modelling your fantasy lands on historical ones isn't difficult. Trust me. It's just so stupid that most fantasy writers don't do it explicitly. They don't want to admit that they didn't have enough imagination to come up with something of their own.
This is interesting, because you've actually got no idea. What a silly statement, no offense.
It would be much more difficult for me to make a list of fantasy novels whose settings are obviously modelled after historical periods and locations than to make a list of those with genuinely invented settings, because there are so many of the former and so few of the latter. Most likely everything you have read was in some way inspired by history, either directly or indirectly through some other fiction writer. Hobb's and G.R.R. Martin's popular series are just the most prominent examples, where the authors themselves have admitted they had to rip off history to come up with anything (Hobb admitted this embarrassedly after being asked about it at her newsgroup some years ago).

There is the related fact that creating something out of nothing is impossible. The more straightforward your pillaging of history, the easier for you. If you think it's the other way around, no one is stopping you from trying to create something for once instead of just flapping your lips.

Still, I'm curious, is there anything you know about this subject you say you have such great new ideas about?

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Heh... you actually responded.
Don't worry, I'm sure that all of the venerable people at RPGCodex don't doubt your amazing literary prowess... or your ability to discuss topics such as "herd mentality," or whichever droll topic, in however droll a fashion, people such as yourself tend to discuss, naturally, to make themselves feel superior.

DefJam101

Arcane
alsdalds.jpg

Elzair

Cipher
Do you know what this book needs more of? Cheese!

IMG00041.jpg

IMG00042.jpg

I liek teh cheeze!!1!

kris

Arcane
poocolator said:
Heh... you actually responded.
Don't worry, I'm sure that all of the venerable people at RPGCodex don't doubt your amazing literary prowess... or your ability to discuss topics such as "herd mentality," or whichever droll topic, in however droll a fashion, people such as yourself tend to discuss, naturally, to make themselves feel superior.

However little I like nomask I can still only say I agree with him on that post wholeheartedly.

Elzair

Cipher
Here is the love interest!

IMG00043.jpg

WTF?! Why do sculptors ache for chins?

Elzair

Cipher
Here is Maric's rebel army.

IMG00044.jpg

Why would the nobles abandon their lands for this douchebag?

Elzair

Cipher
Here is the second description of a battle.

IMG00046.jpg

IMG00047.jpg

Goodness, Gracious! Great Ball of Fire!

Elzair

Cipher
We now meet the 'bad guys' for the first time. Meghran is the usurper-king; Severan is his mage advisor.

IMG00048.jpg

No, the definition of insanity is continuing to read this book expecting it to actually get good!

Elzair

Cipher
IMG00049.jpg

I must admit that it is nice to see the hardships of a rebellion described in a realistic way.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
A good camera would be appropriate.

Nice phone btw.
Sprint%20blackberry%208330%201.jpg

Elzair

Cipher
WhiskeyWolf said:
A good camera would be appropriate.

Nice phone btw.
Sprint%20blackberry%208330%201.jpg

Thanks! I like it too!

BTW, how did you know I was using a Blackberry Curve? Does the goddamn phone encode metadata in the image?! I really hate it when electronic devices do that. What else does it encode?

Elzair

Cipher
poocolator said:
I think we should give Elzair an award for suffering this.

Thanks, but when I was younger I read much worse. The Elminster novels and the Baldur's Gate novels come to mind.

I know the writing can be quite shitty, but, despite my best efforts, this novel is actually making me look forward to Dragon Age.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
BTW, how did you know I was using a Blackberry Curve? Does the goddamn phone encode metadata in the image?! I really hate it when electronic devices do that. What else does it encode?
Most today cameras/phones/other encode metadata into the imagine. My 3 years old Sony DSC-S90 also does that. BTW, Photoshop if used likes to point out by adding or overriding it with it's own data (usually which version of the program is used).

I can easily look it up by using Opera (right click on the pic and choose "Properties"), it gives me something like this:
capturecff.jpg

In polish of course. For my own info - is the time/data that of the time when you made it (phones time of course)?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom