Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Annie Carlson plays the AoD combat demo

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
internet_fight.jpg

Hey guise, please calm down. I thought this thing was settled :(

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Looking forward to AoD and have been since I first came on the boards. Vaya con dios ITS. Will buy two copies when it comes out.

Vault Dweller said:
What kinda shitty code doesn't even have brackets?

Shitty Pawn code

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Sunn said:
What a terrible fucking thread.

Indeed, such wasted potential. There could have been much bitching about the balance of the demo, but instead we see a discussion about a (hardcoded) script file.

:decline:

Melcar

Arcane
Elhoim said:
Sunn said:

Indeed, such wasted potential. There could have been much bitching about the balance of the demo, but instead we see a discussion about a (hardcoded) script file.

Maybe it was an elaborate scheme by VD. Distract us with some inconsequential shit so we wouldn't bitch about his game and tell him how terrible it will be.
By the way, when can we get our little sweaty nerd palms on the demo?

WholesaleGenocide

Liturgist
Holy fuck retardo this thread and let us start anew.

I'm pissed off at myself that I even skimmed some of this banal/shit/boring shit.

cincinnatus.c

Arcane
Flashback said:
But your thinking is driven and dominated by one idea: "I'm an awesome
programmer, everyone else is idiot."

Did I say "I'm an awesome programmer"? No. Did I say "everyone else is
idiot"? No. Did I say "Nick's a fucking idiot"? No, that is what
obediah said, but I can certainly see his point.

I appreciate that not the whole of your post was as silly as the piece I quote, but sorry, Nick, If I was seriously to go through your post and correct all misconceptions and misunderstandings, I would bore myself to death.
If you want to clear the initial misunderstanding - PM me, otherwise - don't.

Imbecile

Arbiter
I'm a little thrown by AODs approach to ranged combat. The perspective is that its been historically underpowered, and that AOD addresses this. Is the increased realism of ranged combat bad for gameplay? Presumably big damage and a big chance of missing tends to shift the focus towards luck based gameplay, no?

Murk

Arcane
It just isn't a proper eFight without people redefining the same word or phrase 5 times over with increasing fervor.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
LOL @ the guy who registered on the codex just to continue a stupid and off-topic flamewar from a different forum. :lol:

Clearly a class-A internet warrior. His persistence in the face of the pointlessness of his own actions is an inspiration to all! :honourblade:

cincinnatus.c

Arcane
Spectacle said:
LOL @ the guy who registered on the codex just to continue a stupid and off-topic flamewar from a different forum. :lol:

Clearly a class-A internet warrior. His persistence in the face of the pointlessness of his own actions is an inspiration to all! :honourblade:

:) no that was just a one off show.

I did enjoy some longer flame wars in the past, though. But that was back in 90s, it was in Usenet, it was not in English, and the topics I was keen to flame about were: religion and Object Oriented Programming. (I know, shocking).

Shannow

Waster of Time
Annie (and Brian) raises some interesting points. Most of which need to be addressed (from my second-hand POV).
There are two points I'd like to give some suggestions for:
Armor: It sounds as if ITS is taking an DSA approach to the whole thing. Which is good. You should only make sure there is a certain balance. EG, armor should give DR (perhaps coupled with AC that differs for different armors and only concerns a chance to bypass the DR, not general to-hit chances), restrict movement and att/def. But there should also be a skill or perks that reduce the penalties one incurs by using armor. In the end it should be possible to stike a balance between:
Not (or lightly) armored: No AP, dodge, att/def penalties. No to very little DR. If lightly armored can offset the small penalties by acquiring a perk/ high values in the armor skill. Fast, precise but fragile.
Medium armor: Some penalties, some DR. Some AP/movement (if possible the player shouldn't be able to move as far but APs aren't reduced) penalty remains but att/def penalties can be offset by perk(s)/skill. Somewhat slowed by armor, but otherwise not really hampered (at the cost of skillpoints/perks) and more sturdy.
Heavy armor: More severe penalties, but high DR. Slowed and hampered by armor even with skillpoints/perks but can take a beating and is only truly threatened by strong attacks with heavy weapons or DR bypassing attacks.

Fast, normal, power, precise attacks:
Fast: Costs 1 less AP than normal, lower dmg (possibly no or lowered str modifier), same hit chance as normal and no DR bypass.
Normal: Normal (duh), slight chance of bypass.
Power: Cost 1 more AP than normal, same hit chance as normal, more dmg (possibly in direct relation to str --> double str modifier or something), no chance fo bypass.
Aimed: Cost 1 more AP than normal, same hit chance on torso as normal, lower on other bodyparts depending on size. Crippling effects possible, highest chance on DR bypass, lower dmg (possibly like Fast).

I think all of that would force players to adapt to their enemies and their equipment depending on the builds the players themselves are using.

[EDIT]: I realize most of this has no chance of making it into the game, but maybe ITS would consider it for future games ;)
As something that could still be incorporated: Why not go JA with the Aimed Attacks? Not only open up the chance to go for certain body parts but also allow the player to pour in more AP to increase his chances to hit.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Shannow said:
Annie (and Brian) raises some interesting points. Most of which need to be addressed (from my second-hand POV).
There are two points I'd like to give some suggestions for:
Armor: It sounds as if ITS is taking an DSA approach to the whole thing. Which is good. You should only make sure there is a certain balance. EG, armor should give DR (perhaps coupled with AC that differs for different armors and only concerns a chance to bypass the DR, not general to-hit chances), restrict movement and att/def. But there should also be a skill or perks that reduce the penalties one incurs by using armor. In the end it should be possible to stike a balance between:
Not (or lightly) armored: No AP, dodge, att/def penalties. No to very little DR. If lightly armored can offset the small penalties by acquiring a perk/ high values in the armor skill. Fast, precise but fragile.
Medium armor: Some penalties, some DR. Some AP/movement (if possible the player shouldn't be able to move as far but APs aren't reduced) penalty remains but att/def penalties can be offset by perk(s)/skill. Somewhat slowed by armor, but otherwise not really hampered (at the cost of skillpoints/perks) and more sturdy.
Heavy armor: More severe penalties, but high DR. Slowed and hampered by armor even with skillpoints/perks but can take a beating and is only truly threatened by strong attacks with heavy weapons or DR bypassing attacks.

That's exactly how it works, but instead of feats/perks you have crafting. For example, an imperial armor with 8DR (the uncrafted max) has 60% penalty to dodge. With the proper crafting it can be reduced to 24%, similar to te penalty of an uncrafted medium armor like the lorica segmentata (5DR).

Shannow said:
Fast, normal, power, precise attacks:
Fast: Costs 1 less AP than normal, lower dmg (possibly no or lowered str modifier), same hit chance as normal and no DR bypass.
Normal: Normal (duh), slight chance of bypass.
Power: Cost 1 more AP than normal, same hit chance as normal, more dmg (possibly in direct relation to str --> double str modifier or something), no chance fo bypass.
Aimed: Cost 1 more AP than normal, same hit chance on torso as normal, lower on other bodyparts depending on size. Crippling effects possible, highest chance on DR bypass, lower dmg (possibly like Fast).

I think all of that would force players to adapt to their enemies and their equipment depending on the builds the players themselves are using.

Thing is, the THC is the same when your skill level is high enough, and I think it's pretty balanced this way when skill levels are similar.

About aimed attacks, I'm considering suggesting Vince lowering them bakc to 1AP. We increased because we took out the "random" factor out of the effects, so if you hit, you score the corresponding effect (except for head, since it's quite powerful. You can still get 100% success chance with the proper skills). THC works as you suggested. No chance to bypass DR, since that's an attribute of daggers and throwing weapons. But you can cut DR by half with the torso attack.

Shannow said:
[EDIT]: I realize most of this has no chance of making it into the game, but maybe ITS would consider it for future games ;)
As something that could still be incorporated: Why not go JA with the Aimed Attacks? Not only open up the chance to go for certain body parts but also allow the player to pour in more AP to increase his chances to hit.

That sounds interesting... Not only for aimed attacks, but for all of them. I sometimes end with an extra AP or two that goes wasted, and that would bring some very interesting choices. Good idea!

obediah

Erudite
Elhoim said:
Sunn said:

The problem is there is nothing regarding AoD to talk about. The thing about a demo is that you have to actually let us play it before we can discuss it. This "We let better people than you touch the demo, and here's what they had to say - discuss for 6 months while we work through the feedback!" doesn't cut it.

The AoD hype machine is sitting on empty, and you just added $1.00 worth of gas. You either need to give us something substantial or find a new set of #1 internet fans to start over with.

In short (and unduly rude): Demo, Game, or STFU!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
obediah said:
The problem is there is nothing regarding AoD to talk about.
Seems like that some people in this thread would rather talk about AoD than listen to you bitching that there is nothing to talk about. If you see nothing of interest, then why are you posting here, dear sir? Why did you decide to read this thread in the first place?

This "We let better people than you touch the demo, and here's what they had to say - discuss for 6 months while we work through the feedback!" doesn't cut it.
Butthurt? We gave the demo to Brian and Annie because they are working with us and wanted to evaluate what we have, for reasons that should be obvious. We gave it to Gareth because he spent a lot of time with Torque and his technical expertise is valuable.

... find a new set of #1 internet fans to start over with.
So much butthurt in one person.

In short (and unduly rude): Demo, Game, or STFU!
I hope you'll forgive us if we ignore this well thought-through suggestion and all your other posts from now on.

Vault Dweller

Developer
What happened to:

"Sounds like AoD at it's current state is a bug ridden piece of shit."

"I don't gonna buy some dip**** game from a 5 man team."

Why such an interest in a bug ridden piece of shit dipshit game from a 5 man team? Inquiring mind wants to know.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Vault Dweller said:
What happened to:

Why such an interest in a bug ridden piece of shit dipshit game from a 5 man team? Inquiring mind wants to know.
What's your problem? Can't you give me a straight answer to a simple question?

The thing is, there's not much known about AoD from where I sit so I'll remain sceptical. Perhaps you and your buddies pull your shit together and you actually deliver something good and playable, despite the obsolete graphics. I play old 1998 games with shitty graphics even today, because they're good.
By just giving us a combat demo though and showing us nothing else it will be hard to decide whether the game's gonna be worth my money.

Vault Dweller

Developer
obediah said:
Vault Dweller said:
Butthurt? butthurt butthurt butthurt butthurt

You should really spend less time on 4chan.
That's all you could come up with?

Anyway, one doesn't need to visit 4chan to be familiar with its memes. The Codex does a great job keeping everyone informed.

obediah

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
obediah said:
Vault Dweller said:

butthurt

Anyway, one doesn't need to visit 4chan to be familiar with its memes. The Codex does a great job keeping everyone informed.

butthurt

I don't even know what the word means, and from usage neither does anyone else. What's important is the last person to use it in the thread wins - so butthurt?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
obediah said:
Vault Dweller said:
obediah said:
Vault Dweller said:

butthurt

butthurt

I don't even know what the word means, and from usage neither does anyone else. What's important is the last person to use it in the thread wins - so butthurt?

If you are not butthurt, why are they putting a vaccine in your butt?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Morgoth said:
Vault Dweller said:
What happened to:

What's your problem? Can't you give me a straight answer to a simple question?
Releasing a full demo is counter-productive (removes impulse purchase) because it will be included in the full game anyway. The full demo/game will be beta tested by a few selected people, but will not be open.

The thing is, there's not much known about AoD from where I sit so I'll remain sceptical.
Perhaps, you should change your seat then, because there is a shitload of detailed info about the game, including screenshot sequences illustrating dialogues, quests, and game design.

http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=79
http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=82
http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=90

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... opic=363.0
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... opic=564.0
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... opic=610.0

There is more, if you're interested.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom