Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any decent Half Life 2 mod?

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
^Looks like the Syndicate FPS, except it's PvP instead of co-op.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Oh jesus yes, bring your octupus hands for using augs. Everytime I decide to pick the game up again I have to pick a passive setup and be satisfied with only having TAC scanner as an active while I get used to everything again.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
^Looks like the Syndicate FPS, except no eyeburning bloom & HDR shitfest and there is actual gameplay than using W, LMB and Use button.

Apologize for derailing this thread but I never understood the hate for Syndicate's bloom. I mean, Blade Runner was quite bloomy.
bladerunner8.jpg

And people generally tolerated DX:HR's piss filter.

zwanzig_zwoelf

After disabling the bloom in Syndicate, it was one of the most beautiful cyberpunk games I've ever played.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Apologize for derailing this thread but I never understood the hate for Syndicate's bloom. I mean, Blade Runner was quite bloomy.
bladerunner8.jpg
Except even the most "blured"* movie is still capable for my eyes compared to average bloom/hdr in vidya gaemz.
*is that a real term?

Check that sexbad's video from it.

Speak to yerself.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Except even the most "blured"* movie is still capable for my eyes compared to average bloom/hdr in vidya gaemz.
*is that a real term?

"Luminous pollution" -- A signature characteristic of modern (and futuristic) cities. For a game pissing on future corporate cultures, it's pretty appropriate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_pollution

http://www.delmarfans.com/educate/basics/lighting-pollution/

My condolence to the poor dude but he apparently encountered a bug. (Dude even admitted in comment. Classy way to mislead the public.)

It's not like this when I played (not my video but look at it starting from 12:30):

Speak to yerself.

I hate that piss with a passion. In fact, DX:HR is one of the most overrated piece of popamole shhit in recent memory. Dumb fuck story, piss poor graphics and retarded popamole gameplay.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

My condolence to the poor dude but he apparently encountered a bug. (Dude even admitted in comment. Classy way to mislead the public.)
I didn't intentionally mislead anyone. That's obviously a bug. Anybody who would believe something that bad is actually part of the game needs his brain checked. That may include MotherMachinae, but it's more likely he wanted to show an extreme case.

However, the game still has far too much bloom to be defended. In the not bugged version, there are pockets of pure light scattered throughout probably every level. Here is a non-misleading video I made a long time ago:

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
However, the game still has far too much bloom to be defended.
It's an artistic choice. Probably not to your taste but like DXHR's piss filter, it serves its aesthetic purpose.

Have a look at Shanghai's light pollution. Looks like Syndicate, no? Probably not something Americans living in small towns are familiar with.

18192016142757.jpg

Also the game had that Dart mode that highlights enemies etc. They probably made the normal environment light overbearing and taxing on your senses so you would want to use that Dart overlay.

But whatever. I'm a fanboy of non-popamole shooters that are actually HARD, especially if it's also cyberpunk.

Last edited:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Have a look at Shanghai's light pollution. Looks like Syndicate, no?

18192016142757.jpg
Absolutely not.
Also the game had that Dart mode that highlights enemies etc. They probably made the normal environment light overbearing and taxing on your senses so you would want to use that Dart overlay.

But whatever. I'm a fanboy of non-popamole shooters that are actually HARD, especially if it's also cyberpunk.
Yeah, it's totally a hard game when you have a mode that goes into slow motion, gives you wallhacks, and speeds up the already fast health regen.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Absolutely not.

Gotta have your eyes checked. Maybe next time your game glitches, you should have quit instead of deliberately hurting your eyes?

Yeah, it's totally a hard game when you have a mode that goes into slow motion, gives you wallhacks, and speeds up the already fast health regen.

Co op mode doesn't have slow-mo.

Wall hacks against AIs? So what? FEAR gave u slow-mo to bully the AIs -- oh wait I remember you fapping to FEAR in your videos. What's with your love-hate take on slow mo anyway? At least be consistent with yourself.

And fast health regen? When you're against 20-something enemies that rush you from all directions and two armored juggernauts who could roast you with flamethrower in seconds and you're running around trying to dodge their line of sight, you'd be thankful the game is not based on a medkit system.

But you obviously didn't even play the good part of the game (soloing the co-op maps) to be even capable of having a valid opinion.

So I won't even waste my time trying to talk sense into you anymore, seeing that you probably pirated it and played only the dumbfuck singleplayer for whatever dumbfuck purposes (maybe so that you can post misleading vidyas on youtube for kool kredit).

Last edited:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Absolutely not.

Gotta have your eyes checked. Maybe next time your game glitches, you should have quit instead of deliberately hurting your eyes?

Co op mode doesn't have slow-mo.

Wall hacks against AIs? So what? FEAR gave u slow-mo to bully the AIs -- oh wait I remember you fapping to FEAR in your videos. What's with your love-hate take on slow mo anyway? At least be consistent with yourself.

And fast health regen? When you're against 20-something enemies that rush you from all directions and two armored juggernauts who could roast you with flamethrower in seconds and you're running around trying to dodge their line of sight, you'd be thankful the game is not based on a medkit system.

But you obviously didn't even play the good part of the game (soloing the co-op maps) to be even capable of having a valid opinion.

So I won't even waste my time trying to talk sense into you anymore, seeing that you probably pirated it and played only the dumbfuck singleplayer for whatever dumbfuck purposes (maybe so that you can post misleading vidyas on youtube for kool kredit).
Shanghai is nowhere near a game where some candles on a table give off more light than the sun.

I played the co-op mode for a little while, but I stopped because the netcode or whatever was so bad that my friend would float through walls. Forgive me for not giving it a second chance after it was completely broken.

My complaint isn't about the slow motion, but the slow motion and everything else the game shoves down your gullet to make sure you don't lose. There's no fun to slow motion when everything around you has turned see-through, everybody is visible behind cover, you can heal all your wounds by sitting behind a wall for five seconds, and you can even make people explode without actually aiming and firing at them. Also, the AI is crap compared to F.E.A.R.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
OK since you're being semi-reasonable, I'll eat my shoes and have some more conversation with you.

Shanghai is nowhere near a game where some candles on a table give off more light than the sun.

Yes because real life and vidya game are the same thing? --The game is a hyper-stylized take on corporate culture. I'm sure you know in Shanghai there are no cyborg agents shooting miniguns in the street either.

I played the co-op mode for a little while, but I stopped because the netcode or whatever was so bad that my friend would float through walls. Forgive me for not giving it a second chance after it was completely broken.

I'm playing it solo because the game's online scene is completely dead. Soloing the co-op levels is the way to go. And most of the levels are solo-able. And they're hard.

the game shoves down your gullet to make sure you don't lose.

Not true except for the dumbfuck singleplayer. You won't complete the easiest co-op level on expert difficulty unless you have good skills.

Here is a video of an extremely good player soloing the easiest level on expert. He's also abusing the aim-assist on consoles (which you can't do on PC). Even then he still died once when shit really hit the fan.

Also note that he's using a one or two shot sniper. So AIs don't have the chance to do a lot of maneuvers.

The most fun part starts at 12:21, when he had to fight two mini-bosses at once.

Also, the AI is crap compared to F.E.A.R.

The AI in Syndicate rushes you from all directions, coordinate with each other (two armored dudes flanking you from two directions around your cover), constantly tries to dodge your bullets by making irregular movements, throws grenades to flush you outta cover, and react convincingly when shot.

What else you want them to do? Solve differential equations?

Also, FEAR's AI is not as good as you remember. A lot of the "tactics" the AI used were smoke and mirror (such as calling for reinforcements etc.), as the devs said in a video.

Last edited:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I liked what you described, so I reinstalled Syndicate to see if there's actual truth to your sentiment about the co-op. Turns out it's a bunch of bullet sponges with aimbots. Nice.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I liked what you described, so I reinstalled Syndicate to see if there's actual truth to your sentiment about the co-op. Turns out it's a bunch of bullet sponges with aimbots. Nice.

So you prefer wet noodle pussy enemies that you can kill in one or two shots and also can't hit shit. Why reinstall Syndicate when you can play Call of Duty's co-op maps for that?

In all fairness, the enemies' HP are designed for FOUR players so of course they're bullet sponges for one player. And had they not been bullet sponge, you'd kill them in an instant and they won't show any of those intelligent tactics I mentioned.

Also, speaking of bullet sponges, Serious Sam (and Shadow Warrior 2013) says hi.

Now go back play your popamole and stop pretending to complain about games "making sure you can't lose."

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

So you prefer wet noodle pussy enemies that you can kill in one or two shots and also can't hit shit. Why reinstall Syndicate when you can play Call of Duty's co-op maps for that?

In all fairness, the enemies' HP are designed for FOUR players so of course they're bullet sponges for one player. And had they not been bullet sponge, you'd kill them in an instant and they won't show any of those intelligent tactics I mentioned.
You're an idiot who can't see beyond absolutes.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
You're an idiot who can't see beyond absolutes.

And you're a seven-year-old who can't consistently articulate his standards.

On one hand, "I want AIs using tactics!"
On the other, "Let's kill them in one shot so they don't have time to show any intelligence."

On one hand, "I want a HARD game where enemies can kill me..."
On the other, "Oh no the enemies hit accurately and I can't kill them in one shot. WTF!"

Do you write for IGN by any chance? You'd be a good fit.

Edit: I just found what you complaint about being overpowered in FC3 Blood Dragon, in glorious capital letters:

GIVES YOU A LASER THAT KILLS EVERYTHING IN ONE HIT, .

So would you like to one hit everything with your laser or not? You seem so torn on this point.

Last edited:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Enemies don't just hit accurately and take more than one shot. They hit with near perfect accuracy and take half a magazine from an assault rifle at short range. If you've sperged so much with this game that you now consider that bearable combat, you have my sympathies.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Enemies don't just hit accurately and take more than one shot. They hit with near perfect accuracy and take half a magazine from an assault rifle at short range.

Because you can't into headshot (which is hard because enemies dodge all the time) and don't know how to use your hack abilities (there are abilities that boost your dps or stun enemies). Also you need to level up your weapon and powers before you can tackle on expert difficulty.

I also think you should send your sympathies to EA's inept marketing department, because the co-op mode is not as straightforward as your L4D and EA failed to communicate well with some of the less sophisticated customers who can't see past the surface.

Last edited:

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Oh, so I need character progression in linear FPS. There's another detractor, then!

I was just gonna say don't bother playing it now. Starting fresh on soloing normal, you need to have A LOT of patience/tolerance for trial and error, and you need to know which map to start, which special ability is of priority to spend your exp points on. Some of the maps have bosses constantly healing each other requiring you to kite to separate them.

For all the trouble you must have some motivation. For me I LOVE those gun sounds and the fluid animation. Clearly you don't care about them. So why bother?

TL;DR I admit it's too sadistic. But if you can find someone to play with, the co-op is still fun.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I was about to address your tendency to attack people who don't describe every facet of their argument in detail, but I actually like that post. In a few days when I reach the one-year mark I will brofist it.

I would say I like the fluid animation, but it's far less important than the responsiveness of the controls. Pretty much anything below the framerate cap of 200 gives me some terribly strange and very noticeable mouse smoothing/acceleration, and it does not work well with the way guns work. I can still aim quite well, but with the recoil, the hugeness of the guns on the screen, and the little movements of the camera corresponding to playermodel movements, it stands out as a terrible decision. Quake 3 is open source. I would like all 3D developers to clone the way Quake 3 does mouselook and then the future would be bright.

And not in a retarded blinded-by-an-altar way.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I was about to address your tendency to attack people who don't describe every facet of their argument in detail,

It's my occupational disease.

the little movements of the camera corresponding to playermodel movements,

The headbobbing takes getting used to. Probably a legacy from their engine since the Riddick days. I believe in Riddick they literally put a camera on Riddick's 3D body and called it a day (similar to what ARMA 2 did). But once you get the hang of it, it's very intuitive. It's there with Crysis as the two games that did justice to the player character's body in an FPS.

Shame this game is sent out to die. It's one of those 7/10 games that had some good redeeming quality. Should be treated in the same bracket as Wolfenstein 2009, FEAR 2, Necrovision and Crysis 2/3.

Shralla

Educated
Eternal Silence

http://store.steampowered.com/app/17550/

The game is almost dead but is still one of the best competitive HL2 mods that was ever made. You start out in your capital ship, hop in a fighter or a bomber or something, and engage in space battles with proper space physics, allowing you to cut your engines and drift in the same direction you were going at the same speed while turning your ship around to shoot in different directions. After your team takes out the enemy team's corvettes, you attempt to board their capital ship and capture their subsystems on foot. There are dedicated game times organized every Sunday at 4PM EST.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I remember watching videos of that and thinking, "That is damn near the perfect game, but no one is going to play it."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom