Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good horror games ?

Lemming42

Arcane
LSD Dream Emulator is the only game that's legitimately unnerving and scary, not due to jump scares.

For more conventional horror stuff, Fatal Frame maybe. Clock Tower is fun too but I dunno if it could really be classed as horror.

Lemming42

Arcane
Other than making you jump with the kid with the scissors I don't remember it really trying to scare the player. Depends what your criteria for a horror game is, I suppose, it's definitely got horror themes.

Sjukob

Arcane
Many thanks for your advices , I think I will start with Eternal Darkness .

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Search google for popular TOR horror games if you don't feel like sleeping.

Sjukob

Arcane
While I've been browsing recommended games , I stumbled on this - Blood on Eduke32 . I was familiar with Blood before I started this topic , but never played it because there was no ports . So , you if feel like playing Blood you can try it , there are only three episodes finished though .

Malpercio

Arcane
On PC? Consoles? What do you own/can emulate?

I'll just list a generic list of the most hidden ones that come to my mind:

Darkness Within series (often overlooked, pretty gud. Discovered it thanks to some codexer, now that I think about it)

Clock Tower:The First Fear. The one for SNES. The others either aged badly or straight suck.

Siren 1 on PS2. Very hard and unforgiving game. Walkthrough pretty much required... but what an experience! Some of the best lore/story in the genre. Not a fan of the sequels, the PS3 one especially is just a bastardization of the original story.

Rule of Rose: One of the last 3D old-RE style horror, gameplay is mediocre and can be very tedious, but once you get past it, there is a beautiful and emotional story. I wouldn't describe it as "straight horror" but more "macabre fairy tale"

Blair Witch: Rustin Par. The sequels are not worth IMO. The first one is nice. No, you don't need to have liked the movie.

Hellnight on PSX, very unknown, claustrophobic first person horror.

Theresia: Pretty good, more of an horror-themed adventure game than anything (Think Phoenix Wright games), nevertheless worth checking. For DS.

Deadly Premonition: Love or hate it.

Then there is the most famous stuff, Fatal Frama/Project Zero, RE, SH, etc

Rule of Rose and Siren are both titles I hold dear and I'd recommend them above all, but they are not very accessible (RoR because the gameplay is mediocre, Siren because is hard as fuck)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Any good custom content for Amnesia DD?

While there is custom content for the game, I can't say whether it's any good or not.

I know that YouTuber Markiplier has taken a look at some Amnesia mods, so that's one source you can look up.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Bloodlines, of course, it isn't exactly an horror game but is creepy and moody enough.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I'll put in a vote for Alien Isolation. I've had some frame rate issues with it on the PS3, but it's nothing too intrusive.

zwanzig_zwoelf

You can also try Baroque (for PS1/Saturn, ignore the PS2/Wii versions).
It's pretty good as an attempt to mix survival horror and RPGs. Don't mind the fact it's in Japanese only - it only makes certain things a lot more interesting.

Doktor Best

Arcane
In Alien Isolation you are not completely defenseless, and its really good at what it is. The Enemy AI is a major step forward from Amnesia script scenes which you simply learn by heart and render the monster harmless. It learns where you hide, how you behave etc.

And with the artwork they hit the fucking bullseye.

Venser

Erudite
Many thanks for your advices , I think I will start with Eternal Darkness .

I instantly bought the game after hearing Spoony talk about it in his Bioshock Infinite review. I bought it even tho I didn't own Game Cube or Wii and a few years later I still don't and the game is just sitting on my shelf. I need to get a Wii.

CrazyDiamond

Novice
Deadly Premonition: Love or hate it.

I've been in a Twin Peaks mood lately, I want to give this a try. I've seen a lot of people talk about it but I still have no idea what it's supposed to be about.

But to be honest I'm not good with horror. How scary is it?

Venser

Erudite
I've been in a Twin Peaks mood lately, I want to give this a try. I've seen a lot of people talk about it but I still have no idea what it's supposed to be about.

But to be honest I'm not good with horror. How scary is it?

It's hilariously unscary. It's like The Room in the video game form.

Malpercio

Arcane
Not very scary. TP Leo Johnson "creepy" scenes are probably scarier.

The beginning of the game is complete and utter shit btw, but endure until you get to the Town Meeting at least. It does have some of the best story in vidya and fantastic romance.

CrazyDiamond

Novice
Oh cool, I'll be fine then.

And thanks for the warning. I'll pick it up sometime later this week.

Scratches was one of few games that made me say 'oh fuck' out loud out of fear. Cry of Fear mod made pull a groin muscle, although I can't feel to recommend it since most of 'horror' comes from jump scares.

The Underhell HL2 mod was fun and the house sections could be scary from time to time.

Eternal Darkness was interesting in that:

Alex's version of the mansion had no enemies at all until you broke into a sealed room so you could get the penultimate chapter. Even though the game gave you a sword at the start and a handgun after the 5th chapter. The knocking doors after completing some chapters really made you feel something was going to fuck your shit up.

Does Pathologic count as a horror game? I did feel dread when playing it, although it was more of a 'how will the game fuck over my plans now?' dread than a 'oh fuck asjkdlfjahkjdsf'.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
FEAR has some decent crap your pants moments - but is in fact a decent shooter.

Deadspaces - pretty sick.

Ecstatica - that game was just disturbing.

I have Penumbra and Amnesia - let me know if they are any good.

Riskbreaker

You can also try Baroque (for PS1/Saturn, ignore the PS2/Wii versions).
It's pretty good as an attempt to mix survival horror and RPGs. Don't mind the fact it's in Japanese only - it only makes certain things a lot more interesting.

First time I actually saw how the original version looked like. It does look creepier, more atmospheric, and due to first person camera it feels almost like a weird post-apocalyptic King's Field. Shame about the lack of English translation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom