Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anyone want to play FFXI before it got bad?

Bahamut

Arcane
How many total gigs of files is this - game + expansions + updates?

~4,5GB,

Guess ill check this too

Machocruz

Arcane
So, if for some reason the "repair files" process gets interrupted, do you have to reinstall PlayOnline? Or does the process continue from where it left off?

Machocruz

Arcane
I'm fairly certain the process picks up where it left off before.

Edit: Forgot there was an option to pick check files for FFXI instead of PO. If it wasn't for your post assuring me you could continue the process, I might have put in a lot of unnecessary work or given up.

Ataru100

Barely Literate
I downloaded the 64bit windows version, installed all of the expansions and repaired the ffxi inside playonline. I am having trouble with the Ashita launcher though. It is failing to update a large list of things. What am I missing?

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From what I've read that ashita launcher is no longer in use.

You can download the Ashita2 Launcher off the Dark Star Project wiki here (I believe the Nasomi server is a fork of the darkstar project)

Relevant link and subsection: https://wiki.dspt.info/index.php/Configuring_Your_Client#After_updating

Direct link if you are trusting: update.ffevo.net/ashita/50/Ashita.exe

Although I've had trouble getting the 64 bit client to work on my side as well but I think it's something wrong with my settings. I can log onto the servers but the game crashes, probably antivirus or windows 8 gayness. Hopefully I can get this figured out soon or I may have to wait a while to try again. Gonna get busy at work again soon and I doubt I'll have the energy or patience to sort through windows problems. Then again maybe I could just buy an older computer, been bouncing that idea around for a while now.

Fabio Vaizard

Barely Literate
I Played FFXI between 2004-2009 and played FFXIV 2010-2013 but never the same feeling or environment. I was about to try a Private Server like Nasomi but I'd like to kwnow :

There is a Tutorial or How To with instructions to Set Up a own Server ? I'm a Database Administrador and already did a WoW Private Server a couple of years ago, so I think it's no problem at all.

I searched for Manual or any guidelines with no luck, anyone here already did it ?

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nasomi is based off the darkstar project. You can find all the instructions and downloads on the darkstar site as well as set up instructions.

There are many private servers up and running but I believe Nasomi is the only one trying to aim for the "classic" ffxi gameplay.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:
Nasomi finally got transitioned to the new server a couple months back. The server is rock-solid, lag-free and looking really good population-wise... we can expect to break 100+ during primetime now. There are several endgame Linkshells that farm what endgame content there is... Dynamis, Limbus and HNMs.

A lot of the "convenience", out of era stuff that was allowed on the server due to low population has been shut off. FoV is gone. Explorer Moogles are gone (but there is a similar, custom intercity transport system put in place by Nasomi). All post-ToAU job abilities are shut off (/mourn Footwork, Sekkanoki, Monomi, Pianissimo, Composure, WotG-era spells etc).

There is still a lot of work going on to continue improving the server and the gameplay experience. But if you're interested in a server that works daily at bringing the classic FFXI feel, you can't get better then this IMO.

Come give it a try.

official forums: nasomi.com/forums

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I heard that nasomi officially forked off the darkstar project as well.

It seems darkstar is trying to chase after the retail version which I have absolutely no interest in.

Has anybody on your forums talked about the system's that run the nasomi client the best. I had trouble with my computer last year when I tried it out and I'm willing to buy another computer to try this out. Just to make my life easier you know.

Ayreos

Augur
For people longing for oldschool FFXI, this is definitely the server to be on. My only gripe is that i used to play retail for the community, alongside content, and i only get around 50-ish players in my time zone. On the bright side, that means NMs are much, much easier to camp!

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
This MMO was amazing. A well organized party pulling 5exp chains and masterfully using TP for best damage and chain effects was a thing of beauty. It was kind of grindy but with a party it was glorious. I got to cap as THF/WAR and BRD/WHM.

Is this still alive enough to consdier playing from scratch? With 50 players I would be concerned that there would be nobody to level with.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is most definitely still alive. I have a 75 DRK and 75 MNK there and I still play.

There are rumors floating around that CoP endgame is going to be finished with implementation soon, including AV. Several of the Jailers already work. Also heard rumors that a BUNCH of ZNMs are going to be implemented at some point as well (I cannot confirm this one).

Primetime gets to around 150 now. If anything the server is steadily adding people. Remember also that we have Level Sync. So there isn't really a dearth of groupmates at any given level.

And I agree with all your sentiments btw... after playing EQ for 4 years, coming to FFXI and doing skillchain combos etc to maximize xp gain was what hooked me on this game back in the day; the sense that all party members actively contributed to the group. I still love doing skillchains today :D

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Agreed, I have searched for a game with similar combat mechanics and have yet to find one.

11 years ago I wrote a thief ability + weaponskill guide. Obviously out of date at this point but reading it now makes me want to play. http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=245&mid=1083867860246319495&p=1

Are thieves still principally a pulling, agro control and big damage skillchain finishers with sneak+trick+ws? Are the same tactics used today?

Starwars

Arcane
Pretty cool this is going on still. I played FFXI a lot back in the day, on the Odin server. Think I was one of the first people from the NA PC launch (I imported the game) to solo BST to 75. I also got fishing to 100 (without bots) along with cooking. Also got chocobo digging up pretty high.

Have no idea how I had the patience for it. But I really enjoyed the game in the early days first and foremost, where everyone (save the Japanese) was a n00b and was mainly having fun exploring the world. And exploring FFXI was fucking fantastic in those days.

Before the dark times... before the linkshell wars, NM camping, gilselling and all the other shit. :)

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
So agreed. I eventually quit due to Korean and Chinese gil factories and bots camping NMs and fishing ruining the economy. It got very tough to get choice gear near the cap.

It was a fantastic gameworld though wasn't it? Lots of very memorable locations.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Too bad I never got to experience this game when it was at its peak. I'd have no patience for the kind of grinding it requires now though.

Starwars

Arcane
I also liked the spontaneous feel in the early days. Getting into parties in areas that were not really optimal for leveling, odd party setups and so forth. I mean, I totally understand why one would want to make the partying/leveling more effectove since leveling took such a long time in this game (and you lost exp when you died). But back then, it felt like it was really more about having fun, adventuring, rather than just getting a new job up to 75.

I really miss that "innocence" in MMORPGs.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Installing this now. Too many good memories not to. Is there a codexian LS?

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
There is not... afaik I am the only person from Codex who is currently playing. Flunklesnarkin dipped his toes but never actually started a char!

There is server wide linkshell called MogHouse that most people on the server are a part of however. It's a good place to get your bearings for the server.

I have a sack, send me a tell when you log on. My name is Kalarion. If I'm not on there are plenty of other sackholders who can hook you up. Generally if someone is showing the ? and has no LS you will get a tell about MH.

nasomi

Novice
There's a server-wide ls that most people are a member of. There's about 300 regular players, with 150+ on during peak hours. The server is in the spirit of 2005, but due to population limitations, there's some alterations to make it playable, and some mechanics are still under construction. Still, there's constant development, and the players are very active.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
How does the economy work with so few players? Major source of income was other players.

nasomi

Novice
Players farm gil all the time, new player put stuff on the AH, players with gil buy it. The AH is live, and very active.

J1M

Arcane
Do we have anyone at the Codex who still plays FFXI on Enix's servers?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I am tempted to get on board with this.. I refuse to play it if I need to pay for the 500 expansions or a monthly subscription. Otherwise I am DTF.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom