Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD - brand new screens

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Sweet!
Looking good, VD.

Any ideas what you are going to do about the "characters talking outside of window-range" issue? Or will you just avoid those situations.

Edit: just re-read Ismaul's post...so I guess you'll just focus on the NPC

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I like it (obviously).
Nitpicks: the line on the left of the focus screen is superfluous IMO, and the line on the right is a bit too thick.
Here's how it would look: Link.

obediah

Erudite
Ismaul said:
I like it (obviously).
Nitpicks: the line on the left of the focus screen is superfluous IMO, and the line on the right is a bit too thick.

nitpicky for sure, but I agree that it looks better.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Shagnak said:
Sweet!
Looking good, VD.
Thanks

Any ideas what you are going to do about the "characters talking outside of window-range" issue? Or will you just avoid those situations.
We'll just make sure that characters initiating conversations move close enough to whoever they are talking to to fit into the "window".

Ismaul said:
Nitpicking accepted, we'll tweak it.

Fez

Erudite
That's a good improvement to the interface. The updates on the game continue to impress and it's nice to see how it progesses.

Lancaster

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Alternatively, you could start as a knight (praetorian) working for one of the Noble Houses, and your life would be easier in many ways. We have 6 professions: assassin, mercenary, knight, loremaster, thief, and a con artist.
Can you post more info on the classes? Some classes are easy to figure out, some are related to the setting I guess.

Can you choose the Noble House like in Morrowind? Is there a real difference between the Houses or just different quests and rewards?

Astromarine

Erudite
minor nitpick about the dialogue. One part of it seemed a bit "off". If I follow it correctly, you first offer 250 coins to the kingpin, and then when he gives his counteroffer you get the option to say "I'm a thief, I don't pay with coins". Err, didn't you try to do just that one screen ago? ;)

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Ismaul said:
I like it (obviously).

Width of each of them is 4px, it's just a light&shadow effect. But, of course, if it can look better - we'll do it.

Vault Dweller

Developer
@ Astro

Nope. One's a tribute, a cut to the Guild; the other is a payment for services.

If you are a member of the Thieves Guild, 25% of your take goes to the Guild in exchange for protection, reasonable help, and a "license to operate". You stop paying and bad things may happen to you (someone may mug you or tip the guards). So, that's what tribute is in the context of the game.

Anyway, the story there is that that character decided to help with the kidnapping because he wanted to score a few points with the Noble House, talked to the raiders, convinced the House to pay the ransom instead of attacking, got the money, but decided to keep the money and ask the Thieves Guild to deal with the raiders. It's the kingpin's job to know what's happening in the town, so he heard about the ransom and figured that a cut is due. Technically the money wasn't stolen, so a tribute wasn't necessary, but they weren't acquired in an honest way either, so it was up to the parties involved to decide whether or not a tribute is due. That's why the proper dialogue option has an etiquette skill check attached.

That's how I see that whole thing and that's why I designed it that way. Feel free to disagree and argue, of course.

Vault Dweller

Developer
It's loaded with that shit. If you aint trying to fuck someone, it means that someone is trying to fuck you, so you better watch out. :lol:

Seriously, it's a mean place and the locals aint friendly.

Edit: Just to clarify, every quest has 4-6 ways of handling it. Some of them aren't obvious, some require skill checks, good relationships with certain NPCs, or even association with certain events. No hints are given. So, when you get the money to pay the ransom you may pay it or you may think of a way to make some profit. You may kill the raiders, you may negotiate with the raiders and lower the amount, you may try to find some other ways like dealing with the Thieves Guild, or you may even try to skip the town if you can, but in that case if you ever come back you better be tough enough or be with *somebody* like in the Godfather (we didn't know who you were with). There are consequences, of course, which are logical and clear if you think about them.

Lancaster

Novice
Lancaster said:
Vault Dweller said:
Alternatively, you could start as a knight (praetorian) working for one of the Noble Houses, and your life would be easier in many ways. We have 6 professions: assassin, mercenary, knight, loremaster, thief, and a con artist.
Can you post more info on the classes? Some classes are easy to figure out, some are related to the setting I guess.

Can you choose the Noble House like in Morrowind? Is there a real difference between the Houses or just different quests and rewards?
*cough* bump

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lancaster said:
First, professions don't restrict character development. So, you can have an assassin who doesn't fight but uses poison or you can have a knight who serves a Noble House with his brains instead of his sword, or a thief who doesn't sneak but bullshit his way in and out.

Now about the professions:

Assassin. Helping people to get rid of people they don't like is a respectful business. You are not a member of some sikret and twisted brotherhood, but an employee providing valuable services to the community that prefers to resolve disputes the old fashioned way.

Mercenary. Some conflicts can't be handled by assassins, that's when mercenaries, aka cannon fodder, step in and fight for both sides until one side is wiped out. Or runs out of money.

Knight. Noble Houses are always looking for promising recruits to serve the House in different capacities. Those individuals represent Houses in far away lands and handle affairs of their Houses, while actively interfering into affairs of other Houses.

Loremaster - a master and trader of knowledge. Preserving and understanding the pre-war knowledge making it readily available to those who pay is a good business to be in. There is no shortage of people willing to scavenge ancient battlegrounds, dig graves, and look for destroyed towns and lost outposts which means that there is no shortage of people willing to pay to have their junk identified and appraised.

I'll post more later, no time right now, and I don't have all my game files at work.

Can you choose the Noble House like in Morrowind?
You can, assuming that you have offers to choose from

Is there a real difference between the Houses or just different quests and rewards?
Yes, there is, so choose wisely. In MW Houses were basically like Guilds: a House for fighters, a House for wizards, etc. In AoD each House has its own position and agendas directly affecting the main quest and NPCs. I'll post more on that later, maybe some screens with House-related dialogues.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
The latest graphics do look better - thats definite. But I dont like grass, floors, interior etc.. If you add more details - like slightly different grass/floor tiles e.g. some broken ones, or just another pattern of grass it would make the overall look of the game more chaotic and therefor natural which would be simply neat. Plus, add some small objects (or put them to tiles) like stones, rubbish (it is kinda post-apoc afterall, wo why there is no rubbish?!), maybe you could even put animated animals (like insects, birds). Before you shout that "Download limitation!" dont forget that a sprite of insect, bird or mouse is very small and wont cost you more than some kilos but would add that 'immersion' and 'neat looking' and 'natural look' feature. Then you'd have game with great graphics, low download size plus nice gameplay.

About new dialogue screen, though, I dont like it. I liked Ismaul original one - with a circle. You could have elaborated that concept since this rectangular one screams "I AM THE VERY SIMPLE!!NOTHING TO LOOK AT!" Your interface is so boring and monoton, that some nice different style (like rounded instead of squared) element would just make it look better.

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
Kamaz said:
About new dialogue screen, though, I dont like it. I liked Ismaul original one - with a circle. You could have elaborated that concept since this rectangular one screams "I AM THE VERY SIMPLE!!NOTHING TO LOOK AT!" Your interface is so boring and monoton, that some nice different style (like rounded instead of squared) element would just make it look better.

I disagree. I like the square better than the circle. I'm also pretty fond of the interface, especially when compared to other "old-school looking" indie CRPG's like Spiderweb Software games.

Kamaz said:
If you add more details
Also, I may be wrong since I only skimmed through most of this thread, but I think VD said he was planning to add more to it, this was just to show something of the new look, even if it's not as detailed as it will be.

Jora

Arcane
Unlike Kamaz, I prefer the dialogue screen with the square window. It seems more natural and somehow easier to look at. I agree with him about the grass, but the interface is IMO in no need of improvement. The colour is nice and it seems to be very simple and effective.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Kamaz said:
About new dialogue screen, though, I dont like it. I liked Ismaul original one - with a circle. You could have elaborated that concept since this rectangular one screams "I AM THE VERY SIMPLE!!NOTHING TO LOOK AT!"
Rectangle=simple and circle=cool&complex? Since when?

Your interface is so boring and monoton, that some nice different style (like rounded instead of squared) element would just make it look better.
I totally agree. I think that if we add circles, triangles, trapezoids, and other obviously cool stuff, the interface would be really alive and awesome.

Vault Dweller

Developer
NeutralMilkHotel said:
Also, I may be wrong since I only skimmed through most of this thread, but I think VD said he was planning to add more to it, this was just to show something of the new look, even if it's not as detailed as it will be.
Yep, although nothing as elaborate as what Kamaz expects. No birds or insects.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
So I registered just to comment on your game VD, how's that for a change?
Well, I have been lurking around here for about 2 (or ist it 3) years now, but alas...

From what I've seen so far it looks like this will be one amazing game!

Also, I agree with Kamaz concerning the grass tiles. As they are now they seem to
repetitive and in too much contrast with the rest of the graphics. If your artist could
add some variety to them, it would be a whole lot better. A good example of some mighty fine graphics would be the walls of the building, very nicely done!

All the best VD, I sincerely hope you pull this one off!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yep, agreed with the above poster... oh, and, add lighting. Itll make a world of difference, VD. The game looks good as is, but it could be great.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Ivy Mike said:
So I registered just to comment on your game VD, how's that for a change?
How nice of you. Welcome to the Codex!

Well, I have been lurking around here for about 2 (or ist it 3) years now, but alas...
Better late then never :)

From what I've seen so far it looks like this will be one amazing game!
Thanks. Really.

Also, I agree with Kamaz concerning the grass tiles. As they are now they seem to repetitive and in too much contrast with the rest of the graphics. If your artist could
add some variety to them, it would be a whole lot better. A good example of some mighty fine graphics would be the walls of the building, very nicely done!
We'll try to pretty it up a bit

Insomnia

Novice
After reading the thief line on one of the shots i`m looking forward to playing this game more than any other. I wish i knew more about such thieving aproaches)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom