Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD site

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Need some opinions:

I have two different designs:
Design 1
Design 2

These are just mockups, to show the overall design and suggested style. They will be improved and developed further if chosen. Obviously, there will be text on the front page. Anyway, so what do you think and why? What should be improved, tweaked, added, etc?

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I like both of them actually, but i prefer the top to bottom menu style of the first better. If you could meld the nifty curtains with the top to bottom menu that might be good.

On another note, i actually don't mind the logo anymore. Not sure if you tweaked it but it's not bad when it has a backdrop behind it. The inclusion of "The" in the title helps make it look like it's not an Age of Empires Expansion Pack too.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Hey dude, nice logo for your studio there. Big Thumbs up for that one.

A bit hard to judge the mockups without any mockup content. I'd like to see both versions showing a standard page (say skills) with some meaty info before deciding which is best. B t w - are we talking flash or straight HTML here?

Joff1981

Educated
Project: Eternity
I prefer the second one because it looks like it will scale better for people with larger resolutions. Some blank space to either side with the content in the middle of the screen looks better than all the content left justified and a large empty space on the right IMO.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
I like the second one since it is centered. The first one isn't and even if it was it doesn't look that good centered.

Oarfish

Prophet
Nice work. My preference would be for number 2, it's a cleaner layout.

Surely an indie RPG site needs more rotating skull animated GIF's and a green on black colour scheme though?

Spazmo

Erudite
I like sidebars better so #1 works for me. That said, will text only appear below that full-colour piece of art? If so, it seems like you'll have a lot of basically empty space before you get to content.

Vault Dweller

Developer
FrancoTAU said:
I like both of them actually, but i prefer the top to bottom menu style of the first better. If you could meld the nifty curtains with the top to bottom menu that might be good.
I like the vertical menu better too, and I like the font and style, but the menu is the only thing I like there. The rest is uninspiring and generic. The second design is more interesting and artsy. A bit over the top, but it works.

On another note, i actually don't mind the logo anymore. Not sure if you tweaked it but it's not bad when it has a backdrop behind it. The inclusion of "The" in the title helps make it look like it's not an Age of Empires Expansion Pack too.
Yep. It looks much better on a decent background.

Whipporowill said:
Hey dude, nice logo for your studio there. Big Thumbs up for that one.
Thanks.

A bit hard to judge the mockups without any mockup content. I'd like to see both versions showing a standard page (say skills) with some meaty info before deciding which is best. B t w - are we talking flash or straight HTML here?
The site will be done in html. As for the mockups, I have to make my decision based on what I've shown you, so that's all there is. Use your mighty imagination for the rest.

Joff said:
I prefer the second one because it looks like it will scale better for people with larger resolutions.
No arguing here.

Oarfish said:
Surely an indie RPG site needs more rotating skull animated GIF's and a green on black colour scheme though?
It's on my to-do list.

Spazmo said:
I like sidebars better so #1 works for me. That said, will text only appear below that full-colour piece of art? If so, it seems like you'll have a lot of basically empty space before you get to content.
Agree. That's the problem with this layout/design. Anyway, I'll ask the artist to play with vertical menu concepts and see if he can add it without fucking things up.

obediah

Erudite
I pick 1. I don't like the "ZOMG, 1 second ago I was on the interenet, but now I'm at a play" vibe I get from the second.

Section8

Cipher
I'm a fan of the second. The horizontal menu seems like a better use of space to me.

Although I'm a bit worried that "Iron Tower" might be selling yourself short. You should call yourselves "Ruby Encrusted, Gold Plated, Platinum Tower - Redefining RPGs, and making the best fucking games ever! Immersion! Epic! Patrick Stewart! Best-Selling! xbox360! 1.7 million copies sold so far! Fuck, we're good!"

Oh wait, I forgot that you guys aren't dirty fucking whores. Iron Tower is good. :D

Vault Dweller

Developer
obediah said:
I pick 1. I don't like the "ZOMG, 1 second ago I was on the interenet, but now I'm at a play" vibe I get from the second.
Fair enough. Now what do you think should be done to improve both? Like I said, I like the menu from the first design, but the rest is ... well, bland as fuck. The second one is artsy, maybe too artsy and busy, but it actually has some design and style.

Section8 said:
I'm a fan of the second. The horizontal menu seems like a better use of space to me
This thread is a living proof that the fabled Codex HiveMind doesn't exist.

Although I'm a bit worried that "Iron Tower" might be selling yourself short. You should call yourselves "Ruby Encrusted, Gold Plated, Platinum Tower - Redefining RPGs, and making the best fucking games ever! Immersion! Epic! Patrick Stewart! Best-Selling! xbox360! 1.7 million copies sold so far! Fuck, we're good!"
lol. We are such noobs.

Relien

Scholar
I like the overall look of #2 better. Even though the vertical menu looks better than the horizontal to me, there are too few menu items to take use of the vertical one, and when you scroll down a bit, it will turn to just a space consuming empty column. Obviously it depends on the amount of content.

obediah

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
obediah said:
Fair enough. Now what do you think should be done to improve both? Like I said, I like the menu from the first design, but the rest is ... well, bland as fuck. The second one is artsy, maybe too artsy and busy, but it actually has some design and style.

I wish I could help, but I don't know or care shit about design. Everything is either "meh" or "Awg, fuck off!" to me. From a practical standpoint, try to get the actual content starting as close to the top of the page as possible. I like how the second merges your logo into the art, but then it still has frilly border crap above it. I generally prefer horizontal to vertical menus myself.

I'd probably like the second better if you lost the ribbons, and cut the sides off at the outer edge of the brick.

Relien

Scholar
In my opinion, the problem with the second one is that it looks too clean. Its the bright colors, their contrast and the clean black background. So, maybe if the red was a bit brownish or greyish, and if there was some vague dark pattern as a background for the text...

Whipporowill

Erudite
Well, I'm for the 2nd one as well - but I'd like to see you use your excellent studio logo, like in the first suggestion. Also, the menu is a bit sloppy and would probably work better as a horizontal version of #1. Also - I demand that you don't go with white text on black background, that'd be a reason enough for me to hate it however good the rest is. I'd suggest a parchment scroll kind of thing "rolled up at the top" inside the black space. Would look good, and a lighter background for dark text is always easier on the eyes. Possibly have the menu items written at the top of the scroll et c.

When you're done with this site, you'll need to create one for your studio as well. Har har, there's no end to the tormen for poor VD.

sirgoanga

Educated
I prefer the first. The second is too red, the colours are too vivid. The first catches the concept of "decadence" better.

Screaming_life

Liturgist
Another vote for the second design. At first it was a bit "whoa! Rome Total War!" but it quickly grew on me. I think the top menu is fine and the symmetry is more pleasing on the eye. You should hide the logo behind the right ribbon and have it flick away as you move your mouse over it! ¬_¬

Jora

Arcane
I'd like to see the simple vertical menu and great font of the first one and the beautiful background with curtains of the second one. The font in the second mockup is too generic.

The logo could be a little more prominent and the "The Age of" part of it could be made clearer. The size and placement of the company logo is better in the first one.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Finding the first design to be rather bloated, I must say that I prefer the second one.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Relien said:
In my opinion, the problem with the second one is that it looks too clean. Its the bright colors, their contrast and the clean black background.
Yep. Not post-apocalyptic enough, imo.

Whipporowill said:
Well, I'm for the 2nd one as well - but I'd like to see you use your excellent studio logo, like in the first suggestion.
That's a good idea.

Also, the menu is a bit sloppy and would probably work better as a horizontal version of #1
Can you explain that point?

Also - I demand that you don't go with white text on black background, that'd be a reason enough for me to hate it however good the rest is.
Noooo! I love light text on dark backgrounds. Besides, I'm not sure that a light background would fit well there. We can try the scroll thing though, just to see how it looks.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Better 1

Color scheme meshes better with the artwork, and never been a fan of the infinite scroll layout

Second one ribbons act as leading lines leading you to nothing, maybe shorten them to be nearer the top artwork, deffinetly loose the red from background.

Jason

chasing a bee
"I prefer the first. The second is too red, the colours are too vivid. The first catches the concept of "decadence" better."

What he said ^

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I think the layout of the second site is better, but the garish red and associated graphics should probably be replaced by the first image's theme.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom