Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD site

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
@Whip: thanks. Merriam-Webster Dictionary and a few others do not list that sense of the word.

I'm still not sure if the Q'antaari managed to beat some Lakian asses before they were slaughtered by the Imperial Army. It says that "all the people fled from the ships", and not "all the people from the ships fled", so it means that they were attacked while they were still on board.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Llyranor said:
Hmm, reading through the site, my interest has grown even more. When's the ETA, dawg?
Everything should be completed by the end of the summer. We are very close. Then, of course, I'll spend a few months tweaking them things, so most likely it's the fall.

Elwro said:
I'm still not sure if the Q'antaari managed to beat some Lakian asses before they were slaughtered by the Imperial Army. It says that "all the people fled from the ships"...
The ships, basically, kicked the shit out of Lakians, and then the Imperial Army kicked the shit out the Q'antaari. Then the Q'antaari came back and kicked the shit out of the Imperials... It's teh circle of life. :(

Llyranor

Liturgist
Ah, so almost done.

Any updates on distribution plans/pricing then?

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vault Dweller said:
Llyranor said:
Hmm, reading through the site, my interest has grown even more. When's the ETA, dawg?
Everything should be completed by the end of the summer. We are very close. Then, of course, I'll spend a few months tweaking them things, so most likely it's The Fall.
Dear god, no! Not The Fall!

Due to popular demand: http://www.irontowerstudio.com

Deathy

Liturgist
In any case, there's a typo in the link, so it's pretty hard to fall for.

galsiah

Erudite
Nice work. Nothing much wrong with it that I can see.

One suggestion I would make is that you list the skills in a different order, or group them into categories. The impression I get reading down the skills page is that it's rather combat oriented. The first sign of a non-combat skill is a long way down the page. You could use subheadings, so that the reader sees "Combat skills", and therefore knows immediately that there will be a significant number of non-combat skills.

Personally I think I'd go for a different order. The most interesting and informative skills are the non-combat skills, since everyone knows there'll be quite a few combat skills. Seeing "Dagger, Sword, Axe, Hammer..." doesn't really tell me anything interesting about tAoD; seeing "Persuasion, Etiquette, Streetwise, Lore" tells me a lot more.

Speaking of which, one or two minor points on wording etc.:
I think Etiquette should read:
"...how to apply them to your benefit." (not benefits)

In Lore, "...of the events long gone..." sounds a bit odd to me. I'd say "...of events long past..." is better.

In Trading, I think "...commerce matters." would be better as "...commercial matters." or "...matters of commerce." or alternatively re-phrased. I can understand preferring "commerce" over "commercial", but "commerce matters" seems a little odd/wrong.

One question on the overall story:
"Now the player is given a chance - it's optional - to piece the original story together, by comparing different accounts and looking for earlier records, trying to separate the truth from the myth."
Does this mean that the absolute truth of the past is set in stone within the game world, and the player must separate the facts from the myth (and be either right or wrong in his conclusions); or does it mean that there are various possibilities of what might have happened, and that the player must decide for himself what he believes to have happened (but not be objectively right or wrong)?

Basically I'm asking whether you have a clear and certain idea that X, Y and Z happened, and that is THE TRUTH(tm), or whether you admit a range of possible pasts.
I guess I'd prefer things to be indeterminate, but mainly I'm just curious.

Vault Dweller

Developer
galsiah said:
One question on the overall story:
"Now the player is given a chance - it's optional - to piece the original story together, by comparing different accounts and looking for earlier records, trying to separate the truth from the myth."
Does this mean that the absolute truth of the past is set in stone within the game world, and the player must separate the facts from the myth (and be either right or wrong in his conclusions); or does it mean that there are various possibilities of what might have happened, and that the player must decide for himself what he believes to have happened (but not be objectively right or wrong)?

Basically I'm asking whether you have a clear and certain idea that X, Y and Z happened, and that is THE TRUTH(tm), or whether you admit a range of possible pasts.
I guess I'd prefer things to be indeterminate, but mainly I'm just curious.
There is the truth - what really happened in the past, and there are many alternative theories on that. You may find out exactly what happened, you may have a few ideas, one of which might be close to the truth, you may truly believe in something entirely false, and never know the truth, or you may not really give a damn. It does affect the game though.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Hmm. Might start pimping this now you've got something up on the net.

Whippy's comments are spot on. But the artwork is beautiful. Really, really great. It's coming together VD - well done to you and your team to have reached even this point! Minor niggles aside, the website looks polished and professional.

"You go through the pile of junk you call inventory" :lol:

Looking forward to seeing the end product. But you already knew that.

Jason

chasing a bee
Waitaminute, The Age of Decadence?!

You're totally dumbing it down, man. I used to be into it when it was Age of Decadence, but not now that you've sold out to all the definite article fanboys.

Llyranor

Liturgist
You could call it Decadence Age so that people could compare it to Dragon Age. DA LOL

Astromarine

Erudite
The impression I get from those things about the past and what really happened is that if I start to play the game as a loremaster I'll probably spoil subsequent replays. Am I right in that? Is there an "order" of play that feels more natural than others? I guess whenever you have a mystery in a game, discoverin it on the first playthrough is always bad...

Vault Dweller

Developer
Astromarine said:
The impression I get from those things about the past and what really happened is that if I start to play the game as a loremaster I'll probably spoil subsequent replays.
Hard to say. If anything, after knowing what really happened, it could be amusing seeing your character believing in something else.

Is there an "order" of play that feels more natural than others?
Nope.

I guess whenever you have a mystery in a game, discoverin it on the first playthrough is always bad...
Not if the game supports and rewards not discovering it.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I think that there should be a link to the RPGDot interview in the "Press" section. (Right now it's just one Q&A with no link.)

Stark

Liturgist
Hi VD,

I went through your website, and your interview on RPGdot, and I have a few comments. I will most probably buy your game when its out (supposing the rp as good as you claimed), but i can see some people giving the a cursory look and dismiss it outright. here's what goes through my mind when going through your website:

the screenshots you showed on your website and on RPGdot are bad. if one looks closely at the pictures, one will realize it is not so bad. the graphics are pretty good actually. however, for someone giving it a cursory look through your selection of screenshots, their first thought would be "this is ugly".

allow me to reason through why someone would think so:

most of those screenshots are dialog screens. as a result, only a small section of the screen is made up of the 2 figures. it mislead people into thinking the graphic section is so small.

the other screenshots you had, were combat screens with the ugly green and red tiles and rather plain background. it leaps out and did dis-service to your rather nicely drawn human dolls. I am not advicing you to remove those green and red tiles. they are functional and necessary for the TB combat. However, do consider showing a few additional screens with your pc wandering around the town (with some nice clutter) with no distracting green and red tiles. it gives people a better feel/representation of your game.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Small suggestion: Consider offering that banner concept art for download, as highres screens or wallpapers. It's good stuff.

Consider adding some graphics to the character / faction descriptions: the character renders for characters, symbols or coats-of-arms for factions? Same ideally goes for skills. I think it would help to structure the text, and encourage people to read more of it.

On the main page, I would add in-text links to the relevant pages. E.g.
"gameplay styles" -> characters page
"23 skills" -> skills page
"interesting world" -> world page
etc.

I would also put that example quest that you posted in the news forum somewhere on the page, that's the stuff people who are interested in this kind of game want to know.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Thanks, will do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom