Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD: What do you think of TEH GRAFIKS?

What do you think of the graphics?

• I can't play a game that looks so awful (1/10)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The graphics are bad, but I've seen worse (3/10)

• The graphics are ok (5/10)

• I can't explain it but I actually like the graphics (7/10)

• Total voters

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
True dat.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Let's not forget that Fallout, PsT and Baldur's had multi-million dollar mofo budgets.

Vault Dweller

Developer
The most excellent point indeed, often overlooked by people comparing AoD to Fallout or Planescape apple-to-apple style.

Cruces

Novice
Lumpy said:
Right. Neither are we. But AoD's graphics are inferior to Fallout's, Planescape's, Baldur's Gate's, etc. That's not important, but still.

well I haven't played Planscape (I always planned to but something always got in the way) but are you kidding me? have you seen how characters in BG handled 2h weapons? they broke their back made the back of their head hit the ground and then sprung forward. I'm not saying it had bad graphics, for its time the graphics were great. So if you compare the graphics of Fallout/BG for its time and AoD for its time, true they have better graphics, but if you compare the games between them AoD is a bit ahead of Fallout and aeons away from BG

Perishiko

Scholar
I suppose if I only knew about games that over-use that shiny effect (forgive my amnesia), then your graphics would definately be up there at the top. Simply because I have a different "taste" for things. But, I voted "Ok" because they aren't the "best" to me, simply because a few games out there don't over use certain effects.

My main enjoyment with games has to be the music score and the gameplay value. I don't really care about graphics that much...

Anyhow, not the right topic, but when can we get some more samples of that music? :lol:

filogreek

Scholar
The graphics are ok. Personally I prefer pre-rendered backdrops for most RPGs (like in Planescape and Baldur's Gate), but you seem to have done a reasonable job with the game's 3D engine. The only thing that needs work at all, are the shadows and lighting. Fix those up, and the game will look great for an Indie RPG.

Gwendo

Augur
Is it my imagination, or the first sentence in the log window is always a little bit cropped in the top?

The graphics are ok/fine. I don't apreciate the interface very much.

stargelman

Scholar
I'm not looking forward to this game because of its oblivion quality graphics. In fact, I've never cared that much about graphics. Sure, nice graphisc are nice. But in my all time top 100 list of important game features, graphics doesn't even appear except #98 which says that the graphics shouldn't make me vomit, like when I play Wolfenstein 3D for longer than an hour at a time and I get vertigo :wink:

Durwyn

Prophet
VD have you ever considered Toee style graphics? 3d models on 2d background? I'm not bitching about graphics or so, im just curious. IMHO Toee graphics was fucking awsome. And if you thoght about Toee style graphics, why you didn't made AoD like Toee? To much work? Too few 2d/3d artists? I know that it's too late to change this in AoD but I would want to know.
Sorry for my english guys!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Durwyn said:
IMHO Toee graphics was fucking awsome. And if you thoght about Toee style graphics, why you didn't made AoD like Toee? To much work? Too few 2d/3d artists? I know that it's too late to change this in AoD but I would want to know.
It's a silly question. Game X looks awesome, so why didn't you make AoD like game X?!! You can't compare the work of 6 professional, full-time working artists, not to mention a decent budget, to what a single unpaid artist in his spare time can do. If you want to compare AoD to something, compare it to other indie titles.

That's your answer.

Durwyn

Prophet
Hey i didn't compare AoD to any other title. I know that youre doing your best, and to me, AoD looks fine. But my question was just did you ever considered this type of graphics. I don't whore about " OMG plz make AoD like Toee!" I just whore "Was that ever considered?" Maybe it's becouse my pervert curious nature :) Many other games tried to do 3d models on 2d background : Kult, Sacred, etc. I know that if you would made AoD like that it wouldn't look like Toee. Im not that dumb :P Do you think it would be harder to do 3d/2d than pure 3d ?

Vault Dweller

Developer
To do it properly you need tremendous art resources (talent, people, time, money). We didn't have that. Having an engine would have been nice too.

Durwyn

Prophet
IMO making nice looking game in 3d (AoD for example) is fucking damn easier than making even shitty looking 2d game. I know it from autopsy. I'm a "for fun" modeler. I can do some models, map them and they look so-so, but for the holy sake i can't draw even shitty looking art. It's just a matter of talent.

Xi

Arcane
The graphics are fine. It's the lack of decoration, clutter, and things that we find in reality. There does seem to be a few peices of clutter, but just not enough. Everything seems kind of bare or naked if you will. Some of this is probably due to repeating textures, but I think adding decorative elements like pictures, book cases, weapon racks, and just more of everything in that department might create a better sense of AoD Surreality.

Other then that, things look good. I would argue that these things should be added toward the end of development. That way if development time runs out, its no big deal.

xemous

Arcane
The screenshots have no atmosphere. The setting of the game is shit, roman empire desert setting thats post-apoc but it doesn't look post apoc it just looks bland. The artist has no talent or the setting sucked so much he couldn't do anything with it, one of the two. I reckon a very talented artist could have done someting with that setting even though it's not my thing, but just imagining trying to detail a shitty 3d egine with that bland a setting is painful. I'm no surprised about the graphics.

But I'm sure the games strong points will be the role play n' all so I'm looking forward to that. You've posted a handful of screenshots, not enough (ffs, most of them have dialog screens right in the middle) a few more that aren't just desert with a shitty roman warrior type or a body building thief would be nice, an interesting location maybe. How the fuck can one make a decision about the graphics when all you've released are shitty rooms with the same brown texture in the same buildings.

Vault Dweller

Developer
xemous said:
The setting of the game is shit, roman empire desert setting thats post-apoc but it doesn't look post apoc it just looks bland. The artist has no talent or the setting sucked so much he couldn't do anything with it, one of the two.
Thank you for this very insightful post.

I reckon a very talented artist could have done someting with that setting even though it's not my thing...
Well, if it's not your thing, maybe you shouldn't be so quick to judge. Just a thought.

How the fuck can one make a decision about the graphics when all you've released are shitty rooms with the same brown texture in the same buildings.
Do you see anybody else having problems making decisions about the graphics?

Durwyn

Prophet
I agree with xemous in one thing. VD you should advertise AoD more agressive. It may sound gay but it's true. Few new screens, some short trailer on game site. Maybe some sites like gamershell.com could help with advertisment. GH are keen on Indie games. Fuck maybe im wrong, maybe you already tried. Did any non-rpg site (like gamershell for ex.) heard about AoD?

Vault Dweller

Developer
We did a number of interviews with different sites. You want to help us and believe that the game has some potential? Spread the word for that is the most effective way of advertisement.

As for the interviews/articles, we put them on hold for awhile as the screenshots (graphics) were doing us more harm than good (the RPG Vault interview screens). Now that we've improved the camera and added the lightmaps, we can resume the "awareness" campaign.

Role-Player said:
Durwyn said:
VD you should advertise AoD more agressive.

Vault Dweller's about to make you his bitch!

I have amazing paint skills.

Bitchad.jpg

Durwyn

Prophet
Vault Dweller said:
You want to help us and believe that the game has some potential? Spread the word for that is the most effective way of advertisement.

I'm from poland. I had actually made some noise of AoD on Afterfall Community forum. It's a forum dedicated to polish indie post-apo cRPG (yeah I know that there were many polish post-apo games that from begining stinked vaporware) The comments about AoD was optymistic. This game really appeals to 'da Mastah" reel RPG gamers. I'm currently thinking about advert AoD in some of polish RPG fansites such as Phx.pl .

#Ad Warning#

Afterfall English community forum will be opened soon. The game is really lookin' good so far. It has english site but it's down for a moment. The link is http://www.afterfall.pl/index/eng

MountainWest

Scholar
Seeing those screenshots reminds me how much I appreciate descriptive texts. They add to the immersion more than any shiny grafiks could ever hope to do. Hope they are extensive.

"You see a smith." - Fucking brilliant.

jimmmy

Novice
Hi, registered to make a comment on AoD.

Been following this project for a while after finding this site. When there's rpg game design discussions it's interesting here but the rest of the time is a bit meh (There's only so many ways to say modern rpgs are too shallow and vapid). But onto the actual point of this post, which is about AoD.

I have to raise my internet hat to you Vault Dweller (or Vincent D Weller ha) on doing something proactive when it comes to the state of RPGs and I sincerely hope it works out for you.

I'd like to make a suggestion regarding Graphics. Specifically a style issue. At the moment the tops of walls of buildings are textured with the same texture as the wall itself. I think this looks weird. Personally it would look better if you replaced this with a neutral or black texture.

For example I've modified one of the screenshots:

aodwithtopjg2.th.jpg

Thumbnail probably gets it better across as then you can't see the artifacts from a lazy quick edit.

(Picture might not work as imageshack is acting up for me)

This was quickly done and would probably be better done using a texture of a similar colour to the wall itself as Fallout did with its wall's tops.

fallout_09.jpg

Just a suggestion and it may be impossible or far too much work to do or you may disagree with me entirely.

I have some other graphics comments but I'm not sure how useful they'd be given how far you are in development and how costly it would be to replace work.

On another note, how well is diplomacy implemented? After reading you could talk your way through Fallout, I tried it only to find myself constantly running from travel encounters and other fights. Convincing the Master to blow himself up made it worthwhile but I felt like I was constantly going against what the game wanted me to do rather then actually playing the game itself. Don't even get me started on the Dwarven mines in Arcanum.

Is a solely diplomatic path possible?

Anyway, from what I've read of AoD it sounds like you're doing something special, good luck with it.

Vault Dweller

Developer
jimmmy said:
I have to raise my internet hat to you Vault Dweller (or Vincent D Weller ha) on doing something proactive when it comes to the state of RPGs and I sincerely hope it works out for you.
I hope too. Thanks.

I'd like to make a suggestion regarding Graphics. Specifically a style issue. At the moment the tops of walls of buildings are textured with the same texture as the wall itself. I think this looks weird. Personally it would look better if you replaced this with a neutral or black texture.
We'll consider it, thanks.

On another note, how well is diplomacy implemented?
It's one of the strongest features of the game.

Is a solely diplomatic path possible?
Yes. More than one, actually. The game has been designed around diplomatic paths from day one. From the recent interview:

"I'd say the game was designed from the endings. I knew how and in what ways I wanted the game to end, and I built it from there. Let's say, a game should have a peaceful option or two. Obviously, it should be more than "[persuasion] leave us alone, you big meanie!", so there should be some factors that might change the final character's position, give him something else to consider. Stuff like that can't appear out of nowhere and should be presented in the game naturally, should be a part of the lore, the setting; some events should lead it it, etc. Or let's say, you favor a military option, but lack skills to do it yourself. How would that be possible? And so on, and so on."

Anyway, from what I've read of AoD it sounds like you're doing something special, good luck with it.
Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom