Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Arakion, first person, group based RPG

Luzur

Good Sir
ok, i searched but didnt find anything on Arakion, so here goes:

header.jpg

Hey, my name is Chris Taylor. Today I would like to present to you a project I’ve been working on called Arakion

I've loved might and magic since I was little and wanted to make a game that was similar in spirit, so Arakion was born.

Arakion is a first person, group based RPG that includes extensive character customization, town building and adventuring in a story driven world. In the spirit of might and magic, it includes, a deep role-playing experience, there are forgotten dungeons to get lost in, plenty of puzzles and riddles to solve, vast open worlds to explore and a highly customizable character development system.

I’ve reached the stage in development where the core mechanics are essentially finished, the art style has been defined and I’m ready to move into full time development. This is why I have started a Kickstarter campaign. It would mean alot to me if you could take a second to view the the campaign, watch the video, learn all that Arakion has to offer and if you like it, consider funding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lavidimus/chris-taylors-arakion

slimedungeon.jpg

ogreattack.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, the character artstyle is...unique...but at least it's not fucking anime shit.

You can chose between real time or turn based combat? Will it be like Might&Magic 6-9?

Luzur

Good Sir
i know, dont like the NPC´s at all, human girl, tree guy, a Satyr (?), no let me make my own guys and roll their numbers.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Holy moley that looks fantastic!! Though I don't know about turnbased AND real time...yeah it worked for MM 6 + 7...but those are the only games it has ever worked for.

Why not full turnbased?

Lavidimus

Novice
Developer here, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask em and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Mother Russia: It has turn based, real time, or a blend, it's up to you to pick which style you prefer.

JarlFrank: Every game needs a green slime, even if it's for testing purposes

Luzur: Thanks for posting, there is character creation customization, you get create your party as you see fit choosing each members race, look etc... Not sure where you're comming up that you don't customize your characters.

mote: gonna copy paste a response to a similar question someone had, they preferred 6 person parties.

Because of how the character development system is setup, you can't really min max in the traditional sense. I went with a party of three because it makes your choices matter more. I always found in games where you have 6 party members I had a few worthless characters that were there, but not really substantial, and I always ended up with 1 powerhouse character that didn't really need the rest of the group.

With three each decision has a heavier impact and all three characters feel like powerhouses throughout the game, relying on each other and specialized in multiple roles. Also because of how characters develop in the game, each character "should" develop at a constant rate in relation to the other characters.

I'm not sure about the characters. They also seem to be rendered in different lighting to the game world which makes them look out of place. Maybe with the right lighting they would fit better.

On the other hand the lighting and visuals look really good in the game world.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of information about the mechanics or setting. Only a shell of it's potential if it doesn't have those areas covered. Seems to be a decent amount of information on their website

I also have a problem with the 50k Stretch Goal. A Card Game? What does that have to do with the game exactly? Aim to put that money into extra races or classes or variations on them

I don't see why it shouldn't succeed though. There doesn't seem to be any major problems.

Luzur

Good Sir
Luzur: Thanks for posting, there is character creation customization, you get create your party as you see fit choosing each members race, look etc... Not sure where you're comming up that you don't customize your characters.

not sure actually, looked to me like the same chars in every pic.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Developer here, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask em and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Mother Russia: It has turn based, real time, or a blend, it's up to you to pick which style you prefer.

mote: gonna copy paste a response to a similar question someone had, they preferred 6 person parties.

Because of how the character development system is setup, you can't really min max in the traditional sense. I went with a party of three because it makes your choices matter more. I always found in games where you have 6 party members I had a few worthless characters that were there, but not really substantial, and I always ended up with 1 powerhouse character that didn't really need the rest of the group.

With three each decision has a heavier impact and all three characters feel like powerhouses throughout the game, relying on each other and specialized in multiple roles. Also because of how characters develop in the game, each character "should" develop at a constant rate in relation to the other characters.

Hey there bub...I just saw the gameplay video on Kickstarter and I have to say it looks fantastic. Love the graphics. I also really liked Grimrock (have you played it?) and it was refreshing to see that Arkion takes place not just in dungeons but overworld as well. The small town we saw (that popped up) looked really nice. Will we be able to enter houses, or just view them from the outside?

I wish you all the success, and I am pretty sure you will meet your goal easly. I have a few questions though:

-From what I infer from the Kickstarter page info, the game doesn't have classes or even skills, but that choices made in the game affect character growth. While I admire innovation, classes are a core old school element and I am not sure how people will take to not being able to select classes. What made you take this decision?

-What kind of spellcasting system is there in the game? How powerful will spells/spellcasters be? What limiting mechanism do you have in place to ensure spellcasters are somewhat retrained, i.e. do you use mana, or memorization, or spell points? Or something else?

-Are there feats/talents in the game? I saw mention of 'Traits', are these the same thing? How many are there, and how do they work? How many do you get at level up?

-What is NPC interaction like? Are there dialogue trees?

-What's the estimated release date if you meet you k-starter goal? December 2013 I presume, or earlier? Or later?

Regards

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Sup developer, would you be up for a Codex interview?

Lavidimus

Novice
Menckenstein: Yeah, I unfortunately have a name that's common as hell there were 4 Chris' in my high school class of 30

Excommunicator: The characters were rendered individually for show purposes when I was first presenting them, why the lighting is a little off in comparison with each other and the background. Nice catch!

laclongquan: There will be lots of monsters running around. As far as the mods, a lot of people have asked for it since Kickstarter started, so I'm looking into it.

Luzur: Read the Excommunicator response.

Mother Russia: There are classes, just not levels. At the moment the Released classes are the Monk, Warrior and Alchemist. :: Each character uses 4 skills and if you want you can make your damage spells ultra mega powerful, if you wish to neglect other skills. The limiting factor is memorization, you have X skills to use while adventuring / in a dungeon before you run out and have to either go back to town or find a refresh shrine (which will be rare). :: As far as feats or talents, you could say there's something like that.
A really quick breakdown:

Each character has 4 skills, each of these skills are extremely customize-able. The skills essentially work on a grid system, so lets say you have a monk that has a heal. Every monk starts out with a base heal, you'll then be able to upgrade it through your choices throughout the game adding group healing, armor buffs, damage buffs, status cure, increased capacity, more heals per dungeon etc... depending on what you group needs. At the same time there isn't' a cost penalty for upgrading. This eliminates redundancy so you have 1 skill instead of 6 similar skills and it gives you the freedom to build your skills around what your characters and group need. While it still needs a little balancing so far in testing it's been super fun for people.

Every character has a house, what you put into and add on to the house determines how the characters train. This means say you archery range, your character will focus on his or her ranged damage abilities, making their ranged attacks more powerful throughout the game.

And finally the trait system. This is probably more traditional like your talent system. As you go through the game you'll have the opportunity to pick traits, earn them as well as be given them. What they essentially do are flat percentage buffs for the most part at this point (although some are unique modifiers). So the trait of the tank would give hp, the trait of the thief would give dex and speed etc...

I hope that clears things up a bit. As far as the release date, December 2013 with Kickstarter.

JarlFrank: Always! Just private message me or email me at christopherjtaylor@live.com and we can figure something out.

mote: She was the prototype human / monk. She used to be extremely scantily clad in that thing, public outcry happened and there was an overhaul made! Thanks for the kudos though

Thanks everyone for great questions / responses I really appreciate it. If you have anymore I'll try my best to answer them as quickly as I can.

laclongquan

Arcane
The point is not about mods. The point is about tits. And asses.

The graphic niceties would be wasted without them.

Lamia, Amazones, Succubus, Slime Girl, Dryads, Naiad, Maenad, Hetaera, Kali female worshiper, geisha, shinobi (kunoichi), etc...

Hell, the female form of your character.

And what with the too much cloth problem anyway?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Almost like Bastion met Legend of Grimrock.
Actually, it looks EXACTLY like those 2 games mixed together, in a almost humorous way. :lol:

Anyway, serious question: How will the world exploration work? Is it more of a open-world, or the town work as a hub, where you get to teleport to the dungeons from there? And what you aim to achiev with the dungeoncrawling areas? Will there be tough puzzles, many levels, huge areas, respawning enemies, special enemies/bosses and the likes?

Lavidimus

Novice
laclongquan: hahaha... I'll see what I can do

felipepepe: There are open worlds as well as deep dungeons for you to explore, I'm basically blending both as much as I can. For dungeon crawling, you'll hopefully be getting some head scratching puzzles, there will definitely be multi-leveled dungeons, bosses are in the works, basically everything you said more or less. Respawning enemies are only in certain difficulty modes however.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So how's this "artstyle" called? Basic Zbrush tutorial?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom