Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum - worth a punt?

Doktor Best

Arcane
Im one of those people who think Arcanum is better than fallout1. Combat is slightly shittier, but the rest of the game very much make up for it, and theres just more "flesh" to the gameworld, more things to discover.

An Arcanum remake/successor/sequel would also be one of the few games i would still back on kickstarter.

definitely I would pay for such but I don't think they can make good games any more. Even Pillars or Wasteland 2 are so inferior to the older games.

Last edited:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
arcanum is an okay to good game

the atmosphere, characters and setting make up for the terrible combat and simplistic plot

worth a play through or two but I don't think it belongs to the top RPG echelons

Arcanum plot is not simplistic at all, rather it's a nuanced take on your run of the mil "Chosen One" RPG story.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Name: Neanderthal
Subject: Asks if Arcanum is a good game. Asks about mods.
Note: Signs his posts with his name.

Verdict: Totally not a Drog.

I enjoyed Arcanum immensely! I think it's worth a try for anyone wanting a "real" open world crpg. If you like games in the style of Fallout 1&2 you should LOVE Arcanum (it's basically very similar, only in a different setting and bigger). It has some flaws like shitty combat, and not very imaginative random encounter monsters, but these are not the flaws that make it unplayable IMO. Combat can pass because, although it's crappy, you have so much options how to fight that it can be fun. Magic is overpowered though, too bad they didn't make tech path better, but it's not that you can't easily beat the game with tech, it's just that it's more tedious... All in all it's a classic IMO, and I'd be very happy if someone competent and inspired made Arcanum 2...

Beastro

Arcane
The only flaw with Tarant is that it looks like a copypasta of Shack #3 from Fallout 1

The only flaw with Tarant is that half the game takes place in it.

If it had be the first acts main city and had a couple more Tarant sized towns the game would be near perfect. Instead, once you're done with the place, you're shocked at how much else is left before you're off at the end screens.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Off to Tarant now, see what all the praise is about.

Dernholm was interesting, got another quest to go to Tarant and one to Blackroot which i'll do on the return leg, seems like that kingdom'll be collapsing soon enough. Technologist healer told me to piss off because I was too magical, not bothered Virgin is pretty good at healing when kept out of melee. Sheriff yellowbelly asked me to fix his fucking steam engine on way out of town, i'd forgot to get money for killing Lukan the Witless, so I earned more coin for my saboteur work, ker-fucking-ching.

Levelled up a fair bit going back and forth from Dernholm, some pretty tough scraps, but now i'm a double hard bastard, with a fair few spells, some melee and gift of gab. Also robbed bank, waited until night inside then cast unlock while guards were farthest away outside and cleared it out. Making out like a young Croesus, especially when Jacob Bens had a small accident after our mutual bit of theft.

I'm really bloody liking this, lot of Fallout like choice and consequence, how an open world should be.

Edit: This manual's fucking good innit?

Last edited:

roshan

Arcane
I'm really bloody liking this, lot of Fallout like choice and consequence, how an open world should be.

It's not really open world. Most areas are gated off and you unlock them in pretty much linear fashion. Only the Falloutesque world map gives it the appearance of an open world game.

Caleb462

Educated
Character creation is arguably the best part of the game, which is a bit sad I guess. It can still be a really fun game, at times, but it can also be a drag after a while.

Metatron

Augur
This game is pretty bad. The combat ranks among the worst featured in any rpg. Character creation is cool with plently of options but the system ends up being so imbalanced this one could actually use a bit of Sawyering. And lets not talk about something like encounter design cause it's non-existent.

As a story and settingfag I could live with this but then there's the story that is generally dull and uninspired with some pretty lame twists towards the end. Moreover the game becomes total shit after Tarant which means the game falls flat on its face after about 15 hours playtime, taking you from one uninspired place with barely anything to do in to another. So in the end more than half of the game is pretty bad even at the part it supposedly shines in.

If there's one game that would actually confirm the Codex as a place of deluded madmen who prefer childhood nostalgia value over quality to the outside world it's this one. 5th best rpg of all time ever my ass.

gestalt11

Arbiter
Arcanum is a great rpg. Its not perfect, but it has a ton of good things about it and some stuff other guys just would try (steampunk, technology/magic dichotomy). You should consider an entire playthrough as a Frankenstein monster who gets all the special stupid dialog.

I don't agree that there are a bunch of places with nothing to do. I haven't played it since it came out but I did like 3 different playthroughs and my memory is that when you search around there is plenty and you can go many routes in many ways.

I don't really understand why people say the combat is terrible. I have seen much worse combat. I thought it was fairly standard for the sub-type. I ran both magic/melee and gun/sniper sniper and techno/melee builds it all worked fine. Pretty sure I always played it turn based though.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Arcanum is not a game, Arcanum is a promise of all the incline that finally never happened. As a standalone game it's not that great, and people now is starting to hate it because they feel cheated, but boy, was it brilliant back then.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

It's not really open world. Most areas are gated off and you unlock them in pretty much linear fashion. Only the Falloutesque world map gives it the appearance of an open world game.
A funny part (the funnest to me after i played it to death) is that the Arcanum map is ACTUALLY open world if you go about it ass-backwards and exploit the map system. It doesn't even change anything.
But yeah, first playthough you'll not do that. The systems are also good, even if they were mostly stolen from fallout (breaking doors etc). I think the only original non-combat system thing is the fate points? Good idea that. The mastery quests are nice. Pity that without cheating you'll only see one or two iirc.

It's also a extremely ugly game with stupid characters, dumb 'secret history' lore, fantasy steampunk (blergh), a 'villain' which just parachutes himself into the narrative near the end for no reason (he literally has no motivation whatsoever to actually announce himself, but decides to astrally project himself to you anyway, since the game needs a end boss with a bit of player history) and a clumsy story. JA2 or even fallout 2 look better lolol.

Last edited:

Caleb462

Educated
If there's one game that would actually confirm the Codex as a place of deluded madmen who prefer childhood nostalgia value over quality to the outside world it's this one. 5th best rpg of all time ever my ass.

I have to basically agree with this. On the money. And I say that as someone who has gotten a fair share of enjoyment out of Arcanum.

Gozma

Arcane
The combat is just normally bad for an RPG (I will never understand people that can't get enough Infinity Engine bologna sneering when someone serves some lunch loaf) except the game has a bunch of dungeon crawls that force you to do that shit activity for incredibly long, mindless stretches.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Because i've only got just one lad doing fisticuffs i'm finding scrapping not too much of a pain so far, granted it's not ToEE but it does job, though telling Virgil to back off at beginning of every combat is a bit repetitive. I can't say i'm suffering from childhood nostalgia because i'm a few decades past childhood, and it's the first time i've played it.

Came across two things on way to Tarant, those dudes with eye talismans and a sacrificial stone to an Ogre god. Both interesting. So far though i'm going mad in Tarant, collecting quests, wandering around bothering people, bragging about my fame to a newspaper bloke (which might not help with the assasssins now I think of it,) and most of all raiding every bin that I can find. This game has a fucking lot of interesting little details, and i'm loving it, holding off on main quest just to do various shit.

This bird wants me to rob an Elven tomb, not sure what to think about that with playing as an Elf. Me I fucking hate the pointy eared ponces but i'm thinking my character wouldn't, bit of a dilemma, I like it.

Old One

Arcane
The badness of the combat is overstated, IMO. I'm not saying it's not bad, but at least it's pretty fast and pretty easy so it's usually over before it gets too irritating. That is to say, I've played games with worse combat.

I just finished a playthrough a couple of weeks ago, and I found it to be a good idea to keep my finger on the "start combat" key (I think it's G IIRC). Hit the start combat key anytime you get a random encounter or any time you know combat is about to start. Otherwise combat starts in the ridiculous real-time mode and stays there until someone closes to melee range.

AI mages are useless, BTW. Unlike missile using AI critters, they tend to rush ahead into close combat instead of hanging back and casting spells.

One thing Arcanum lacks compared to Fallout is a good set of interesting non-combat random encounters on the world map.

Tigranes

Arcane
Arcanum is hard for people to get because its strengths don't distill into the buckets that they've forced themselves into thinking with. Its main plot is a shoddy hack job - like IWD2's, except that one had the excuse of being written in a day. Its setting, in terms of the 'concept', isn't particularly brilliant. The point is everything else that flows between those shitty buckets.

(Neanderthal you might want to skip the rest of this post, I'd hate to ruin the fun you're having with spoilers.)

Are Arcanum's elves or dwarves amazing and unique on paper? No. Do they have amazing delivery? Yes. When you first meet Magnus, it's easy to tell how alone and out of place he is in a place like Tarant, even though he never gives such a sob story - right down to how you find him alone in a back alley. He does pummel you with this schtick about Dwarves and their last names... only for basically the third living dwarf you meet, in the Isle of Despair, to tell you that's typical city dwarf bullshit. Bates builds up the dwarves as technological wunderkinds, and they are, but the kind of technology you find in their architecture and their dungeons are very different from the way Bates has used the steam engine for Tarant. Nobody tries to beat you over the head with a huge tome about the History of the Elves And Their Distinguishing Features. Instead, the quests and other situations are used to communicate the kind of small, interesting details - e.g. how Elves do not marry, and how they struggle to understand even the point of murdering another elf.

What about the struggle between magic and technology? Firstly, points for taking a theme that RPGs have hardly ever really taken up, before or after, and making it central to the entire setting. Secondly, additional points for driving the point home right from the beginning. You see the downed vertiplane thing at the crash site; you meet Arbalah and his ability to curse and bless. You meet Jongle who introduces you to the whole split, and straight away the decision to support magic or technology is also intersected with a decision to kill an innocent and mentally half-grown dwarf, basically a child... and then you also get chances to double-cross Jongle. You get a sense of the regional geopolitics and the historical incline of technology over magic purely by looking at run down Dernholm (the shittiest looking place in all of Arcanum) and doing the Black Root mayor quest. It is also worked into the character system and the aptitudes in particular. When you realise Virgil's healing doesn't work well on you, and that you might need a technological healer like Jayna, or when the trains won't accept you because you're too magical, you're running head first into the sheer incompatibility between the two that puts them in conflict all over the world.

I haven't even mentioned the obvious All-Star quests in Arcanum which, for their nuance, can easily make any Top 10 list of RPG quests. The Siamese Twins mystery. The Caladon negotiation/assassination double-whammy.

Arcanum is awesome without having an emotional main plot and even with its notably clunky design, because fuck you, Arcanum does not scale to your level.

no. even mca can't play it.

MCA is too classy to play Hobo Simulator 2001

latest

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom