Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline ArcSys saving fighting games with Dragon Ball FighterZ

Gerrard

Arcane
http://nichegamer.com/2017/06/09/arc-system-works-announces-dragon-ball-fighters-pc-ps4-xbox-one/

dg6onxB.jpg

Bamco slipped and released some info early on their site (it's gone now), it's supposed to be announced on the 12th.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
They made this not too long ago, which had good sprite work and that was about it. The game lacked any real depth that a fighter needs to be compelling. Hopefully they get with it with this new one since it's being released on more "serious" platforms.
71b1ef39fc646137526ae7979310f753.jpg

Vorark

Erudite
I still think Hyper Dimension is the best 2d Dragon Ball fighter. The sprites were very well done and fighting itself was simple yet fun.

Also, what's up with 3 vs 3 modes, is it a new fad? I think the recent Street Fighter II release for the Switch got it too.

Looks pretty neat. I never played any of the Arcsys fighters outside of P4A, but I did enjoy that. This looks to be a competent and flashy 2D fighter if nothing else. Might end up being the first DBZ game that I buy. Will main Piccolo without a doubt.

Gerrard

Arcane
Looks like they didn't go fully the same animation style as GG judging by cutscene shots. They probably told Bamco how much time/money it would require and they decided the "Fast" option is good enough.

I think this looks awesome, ASW has a full grasp on UE3. It's actually very ironic that a small team can tear multimillion, 4 year production cycle Capcom (who are using UE4) a new asshole in pretty much every department - gameplay, sound and even graphics.

Too bad I've never liked Dragon Ball (outside of the very first series with the monkey Goku) and am way too old, but this should be a smash hit by all accounts.

Gerrard

Arcane
I think this looks awesome, ASW has a full grasp on UE3. It's actually very ironic that a small team can tear multimillion, 4 year production cycle Capcom (who are using UE4) a new asshole in pretty much every department - gameplay, sound and even graphics.

Too bad I've never liked Dragon Ball (outside of the very first series with the monkey Goku) and am way too old, but this should be a smash hit by all accounts.
It's UE4.

Also, seems like they still haven't resolved the issue with some effects always being full 60FPS (like during character intros) just like in GG, looks really out of place.

Last edited:
Well, I meant that ASW has a full grasp on UE3 because that's what they have been using so far, in the games that I've played, which look awesome. I didn't know this new Dragon Ball used UE4.

Mozg

Arcane
Hopefully they dumb it down from their usual standard. Just looking at the options in the menus of practice mode for BB or Xrd is enough to make me, a person that can accurately describe what "meaty" and "chicken blocking" mean, look for something else to play.

I hope they don't dumb it down but instead continue to refine their excellent approach - ASW is the only company out there that gives proper thought to how new players of their game should be taught how to play it, including real world application scenarios and creative tutorials.

They should be commended for it without reservation, what they do is so much more valuable than the throwaway single player modes in other fighting games, like story or whatever (although they also do have a robust story mode that is probably better than pretty much everything else out there).

Really, ASW are peerless, it's not even remotely close. They deserve an unqualified success with mass appeal, hopefully they can find it in this game.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Really, ASW are peerless, it's not even remotely close. They deserve an unqualified success with mass appeal, hopefully they can find it in this game.

Very much so this.
Compare their stuff to what the vast majority of other devs put out there, not just fighting games, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I hope they make serious bank on this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom