Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are "expensive" games about to become common?

Higher Game

Arcane
I just noticed that the Crusader Kings II package (I know not to get any Paradox game without all expansions, and apparently this one has 8!) on Steam was $160, which is probably what a top tier strategy game used to cost back in 1990 deflated dollars. Online distribution and kickstarter have allowed for a lot of cheap hipster bait games, but it would be interesting if it is also starting to hit the other end.

I haven't decided if CKII is worth it yet (is it?). But if there are other examples of boutique type games I would be interested in hearing of them. :obviously:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
They're already common where I'm at. New retail releases cost $80 at the low-end, can hike up as far as $120. It's one of the reasons why I jumped ship to steam.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Shit was always expensive here. Budget re-releases was the only way in the past, and Steam regional pricing alleviates it a bit nowadays.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What is Higher Game doing outside of Politics forum? Although it's funny how out-of-the-loop he is with games talking about CK2 that's been on sale eleventy bajillion times. No doubt comes from too much time spewing political babble on a website dedicated to RPG and strategy games.

Higher Game

Arcane
What is Higher Game doing outside of Politics forum? Although it's funny how out-of-the-loop he is with games talking about CK2 that's been on sale eleventy bajillion times. No doubt comes from too much time spewing political babble on a website dedicated to RPG and strategy games.

I'm not "out of the loop" so much that I know not to touch a Paradox game until years after release. So apparently they know that now, and they do their sales early and then raise the price later on. They're always a step ahead, aren't they? :keepmyjewgold:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
As long as konsole kunts pay $80 for the latest AAAAAAAA decline action emotional engagement shooter with "RPG elements", they will remain common.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
(I know not to get any Paradox game without all expansions, and apparently this one has 8!)

But then you won't get all the music and portrait packs. :martini:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom