Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are there any words or phrases that will instantly turn you away from a game?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
If I am reading about a game and it says any of these things, I will just close the tab: Streamlined, exploration, story based, survival, early access, alpha, "addicting gameplay", awesome, arcade, stealth, achievements, horror, casual, anime, walking simulator, Blizzard, or EA.

Also usually Zombies but PVZ was an exception.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
card game, since the only card games i'd touch are the ones that uses traditional playing cards

there are some other phrases that turns me off but i'm usually willing to give it a second chance if someone convinced me enough

V_K

Arcane
"procedurally generated" and "tough moral choices" are the worst.
"crafting" is up there too, but it's less off-putting because in most games crafting can be safely ignored.

Villagkouras

Arcane
Yeah stuff like procedural generated, crafting, stealth, collectibles, open world are not bad at all, but it's almost guaranteed that they will be implemented poorly.

So, I'm gonna stick with Denuvo.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
To me "procedural generated" and "open world" (not talking about RPGs for this one) stands for "we are too lazy to do proper level design"

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
"procedurally generated" and "tough moral choices" are the worst.
"crafting" is up there too, but it's less off-putting because in most games crafting can be safely ignored.
Lol I forgot about crafting -.-

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Procedurally Generated
Open World (RPGs excluded)
Visceral + noun
Roguelike
MOBA
Gearbox Software

Last edited:

Severian Silk

"next gen"

Though I haven't heard it used much lately.

Lemming42

Arcane
Single Player
Multi Player
Full Controller Support
Partial Controller Support
No Controller Support
Keyboard and Mouse Support
RPG
First Person
Third Person
Steam Achievements
No Steam Achievements
Videogame

Walden

Savant
MOBA
MMORPG
F2P
Kojima
"Preorder"+"Season"+"Pass"
>10 euros
Works only on Windows XY
Sony
RPG Maker
Virtual Reality

Don't want to spread some pretentious and edgy viewpoint on Kojima and Sony, I just find their products overwhelmingly boring.

Severian Silk

I forgot "Grimoire". I will definitely not be ordering any games with that word in its description.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom